Chao Phraya River ferries charge up smog battle

webfact

Ferries charge up smog battle

By KWANCHAI RUNGFAPAISARN 
THE NATION

8721f00af5bfce72a1c64921795d0c88.jpeg

A perspective of one of the electric ferries that Energy Absolute is introducing to the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok.

ELECTRIC ferries will ply the Chao Phraya River under a Bt1 billion project to transform Bangkok into the “Venice of the East” and help ease the capital’s smog.

The project is backed by Energy Absolute Plc (EA), a Thai alternative energy technology provider, which yesterday said it will work with the Marine Department to introduce the service. The partners are hailing the project as a smart transport initiative.

Amorn Sapthaweekul, director and deputy chief executive officer of Energy Absolute, said the electric ferries, under the pilot stage of the project, will be on the river by the end of this year. The service will be operated by EA and its subsidiary Energy Mahanakorn Co Ltd, which will be in charge of manufacturing the EA Anywhere-branded charging stations for the vessels.

“We pride ourselves on being Thailand's leading innovative alternative energy company, focusing on delivering cutting-edge technology and environmental friendly solutions for better living,” said Amorn.

“Today marks a significant milestone as we launch the first 100-per cent Thai electric ferry prototype to be opened by the end of 2019. It aims to transform Thailand into a truly smart transport country, improving the standard of urban living quality and reducing pollution.”

Amorn said that after the introduction of the Thai-owned electric car, badged MINE Mobility in March last year, EA has expanded the use of its battery technology with the planned launch of electric ferries.

The vessels will run from the Nonthaburi Pier to Wat Rajsingkorn Pier. The 20km stretch of river will be covered in less than 40 minutes.

“We plan to build 54 electric boats at an investment of Bt1 billion. The transport service with the electric boats will start at the end of this year and all 54 boats will be fully operational by February next year,” said Amorn.

“What we want to do is to transform Bangkok into the Venice of the East with this smart transport initiative. We want to lift the quality of life for the urban consumers in Bangkok and reduce the city pollution caused by PM2.5,” he said, adding that the company will expand its electric ferry service to other destinations, as well as to other transport platforms.

“River transport can be used as another jigsaw connecting to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s entire public transportation network of electrical vehicles. The electric ferry project will return a good liveable city to the people of Bangkok, which is one of the most important tourism destinations in the country,” said Amorn.

The ferries, which are designed by EA, are being produced by a local supplier for the company under a subcontracting arrangement.

The ferries will run with electric energy supplied by a battery with a capacity of 800 kilowatt hours. The boats, 24 metres long by 7 metres across, will use battery technology developed by EA. They can hold about 200 passengers.

EA plans to set up a battery manufacturing plant in Chachoengsao for its electric vehicle projects.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Corporate/30364085

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-14

Looks like a cool new way to ride the river, cant wait!

55 minutes ago, fruitman said:

And nonthaburi pier is very filthy and far too busy to get to by taxi...

Will they clean it up and remove the streetvendors?

What place in Thailand isnt filthy? And whats wrong with the vendors up in Nothanburi?

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Looks like a cool new way to ride the river, cant wait!

What place in Thailand isnt filthy? And whats wrong with the vendors up in Nothanburi?

those vendors make the sidewalk very narrow and super filthy because they keep it wet all day and loads of fungus is growing there.

Nonthaburi pier area is much more filthy than the rest of BKK. It needs a high pressure wash.

9 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

Everyone talks about cars and burning fields but when you live by the river you see every long tail boat and dinner boat belching black smoke adding greatly to the pollution.

This must surely be a good idea.

a grain of sand on the beach equivalent...

23 minutes ago, fruitman said:

those vendors make the sidewalk very narrow and super filthy because they keep it wet all day and loads of fungus is growing there.

Nonthaburi pier area is much more filthy than the rest of BKK. It needs a high pressure wash.

Wow dude you need to get out more if you think that Nothanburi Pier is particularly grotty. I mean, I wouldnt lay a Subway 6 inch on the ground and then eat it, but I actually think that Saphan Taksin is grottier. I find the market up there a touch cleaner than Khlong Toei

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Wow dude you need to get out more if you think that Nothanburi Pier is particularly grotty. I mean, I wouldnt lay a Subway 6 inch on the ground and then eat it, but I actually think that Saphan Taksin is grottier. I find the market up there a touch cleaner than Khlong Toei

Mate i almost start puking after walking to the pier, that's how groce it is in that pier area. I sure won't eat within an hour after seeing all that filth. How can they even sell food there? 

The area is a disgrace for the city BKK, and i didn't even mention the pollution from those buses.

There are some good shops, like a real bakery but it's somewhere hidden in the filthy mess and my appetite has completely gone before i 'm in that bakery.

11 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Mate i almost start puking after walking to the pier, that's how groce it is in that pier area. I sure won't eat within an hour after seeing all that filth. How can they even sell food there? 

Well dude, It seems you dont eat on the street much ????

What exactly is environmental "friendly" in all this elektro-anything-nonsense ?

[Like solar or wind or electric cars ...]

None of it has a positive energy balance and as such they are all NOT sustainable !!!

Just because you don't see the pollution does not mean there is none.

The result of this nonsense to the environment will be devastating !!!

It's the wrong technology !!!

Most boats are not heavy polluters .

The heavy offenders on the river are the noisy longtail boats, and the tugs, which won't be replaced.

How many boats are in Bangkok centre? Very few.

About the same amount of boats as we have vehicles on just ONE SHORT ROAD.

Get the real offenders: the trucks and smokey buses.

Archived