Deputy mayor held for hacking Thai police database

webfact

Deputy mayor held for hacking police database

By Suriya Patathayo 
The Nation

4e9f1082009bcb75733deec136947918.jpeg

A deputy mayor in Phayao's Chun district was arrested over unauthorised access to the Royal Thai Police's computer system to perform criminal background checks on 500 people for Bt1,000 each, the police said on Wednesday.

Following a tip-off about unauthorised police database access to sell criminal background information, Tambon Wiang Law deputy mayor Somchai Khemphetch, 37, was arrested while accessing the database from a condominium in Bangkok's Bang Khen district, said Immigration Bureau chief Pol Lt-Gen Surachet Hakpal. Surachet is deputy director of the Technology Crime Suppression Centre. 

A police probe found that the suspect had obtained passwords for five accounts belonging to the ranks deputy inspector up to superintendent of Pathum Thani's Thanyaburi and Muang Nakhon Pathom police. 

Surachet said investigators said were examining whether the five officers were involved, who had bought the information and what it was used for.  

The police chief said that ahead of the general election, confidential information could be used in many ways. Somchai was initially charged for violating the Computer Act by illegally accessing the data, which carries a jail term of up to two years and a Bt40,000 fine.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30364059

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-14

2 hours ago, webfact said:

perform criminal background checks on 500 people for Bt1,000 each

I'm confused here. Years ago, I had a Thai police check and I think it was free or at most a hundred Baht or so. Why would a Thai pay B1,000 for access to the same database?

1 hour ago, missoura said:

I'm confused here. Years ago, I had a Thai police check and I think it was free or at most a hundred Baht or so. Why would a Thai pay B1,000 for access to the same database?

That I assume was a police check on yourself. I think what is happening here is criminal checks being carried out on individuals (other than the person asking for them) to dig up the dirt to use against them. For whatever reason.

59 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

That I assume was a police check on yourself. I think what is happening here is criminal checks being carried out on individuals (other than the person asking for them) to dig up the dirt to use against them. For whatever reason.

Or seniors of one party looking for dirt on candidates of other parties to criticize the other party / their candidate(s).

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Or seniors of one party looking for dirt on candidates of other parties to criticize the other party / their candidate(s).

Yep, that's certainly what they are looking at in the OP reference the upcoming elections.

Reason I noted 'for whatever reason' in my post; too many variants of reasons to list.

2 hours ago, missoura said:

The difference is you got information about yourself. The news article is about obtaining information about other people without their knowledge or consent. 

29 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Yep, that's certainly what they are looking at in the OP reference the upcoming elections.

Reason I noted 'for whatever reason' in my post; too many variants of reasons to list.

And again examples of the lack of trust, lack of professionalism, lack of proper security of passwords held by senior cops, and again a good reason why the general public should be pushing total police reform.

And by the way where's some comment from the top national cop? As seems to be his 'normal' situation, unseen for months.  

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

And again examples of the lack of trust, lack of professionalism, lack of proper security of passwords held by senior cops, and again a good reason why the general public should be pushing total police reform.

And by the way where's some comment from the top national cop? As seems to be his 'normal' situation, unseen for months.  

Yeah, I feel that personal data from telecommunications especially TRUE and within the judicial system here in Thailand are compromised often and we see it pop up time to time.

Archived