The other side of the coin....

swissie

No, this time it's not about Farangs having experienced misfortune ending up in gloom and doom while engaging in a Farang/Thai relationship. It's about the other side of the coin.

- Ever since Internet/e-mail was available I kept close contact with my many overseas friends. I am not the type "out of view, out of mind". But (for whatever reasons) my Thai e-mail contacts have shrunk over the years. Down to 2 Farangs and 6 Thai Females. Some remaining female aquaintances going back some 20 years.
Never mind the Farangs, but every time I spend time in Pattaya, I invite my 6 remaining female aquaitances for a night out. Seperately, well understood. Me, as well as my Thai Female aquaintances are 20 years older now. Meaning that me as well as the Ladies are past "prime-time". Still having a good time with no sexual agenda.
- At this point it can happen that a long time female aquaintance opens her heart: "Worked in Pattaya for 20 years but no Farang take me to Europe". Them knowing, that due to their advanced age, the chances of ending up in Europe or getting married to a solvent Farang wanting to retire in Thailand are getting slimmer by the year.
That's the other side of the coin. For every Farang that realises that their dream did not work out as planned, there must be 10 Thai-Ladies where their dreams have not worked out as planned.
The other side of the coin.     

Have family in UK and friends that keep in touch also visit for holiday.

Have a few Thai male friends and Thai lady friends going back somes years depends what your definition of friends is they range from 7 to 52 others are just acquaintances. 

About keeping contact with people from far away: It seems people who live in different countries far away from each other have often different interests. And the longer they are away the bigger the differences.

How many people in [insert your home country] want to know all the details from your night out yesterday and maybe the story that you are bored going to the beach in the sun because it's so hot.

And do you really want to hear about the bad weather "home" and the newest first world problem?

Lots of different interests - not much in common to talk about.

And about all the old ladies who are still in Thailand: I guess most of them had the opportunity to go to other countries when they were younger and prettier. But at that time many of them didn't want to go, sometimes because the offer was not good enough at that time. They had the choice...

And all in all I am pretty sure many Thai are a lot happier in Thailand. Maybe they heard about that country were all people are rich and have big cars and big houses. But nobody mentioned that somtam is not available on every street corner and even if it is available it's a lot more expensive than in Thailand. It's better here - for most of them.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:36 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

About keeping contact with people from far away: It seems people who live in different countries far away from each other have often different interests. And the longer they are away the bigger the differences.

How many people in [insert your home country] want to know all the details from your night out yesterday and maybe the story that you are bored going to the beach in the sun because it's so hot.

And do you really want to hear about the bad weather "home" and the newest first world problem?

Lots of different interests - not much in common to talk about.

And about all the old ladies who are still in Thailand: I guess most of them had the opportunity to go to other countries when they were younger and prettier. But at that time many of them didn't want to go, sometimes because the offer was not good enough at that time. They had the choice...

And all in all I am pretty sure many Thai are a lot happier in Thailand. Maybe they heard about that country were all people are rich and have big cars and big houses. But nobody mentioned that somtam is not available on every street corner and even if it is available it's a lot more expensive than in Thailand. It's better here - for most of them.

Just to add: The impression I get, is that they thought "something better will come along". Unlike 20 years ago, today's Thai Ladies know that a 2 week Farang millionaire may well just be a regular "Joe Blow" back home. But most would still pack their bags gladly and relocate to Farangland if given the chance.
Their dilemma is, that at their advanced age and their increased body weight the chances of achieving this is getting slim.
The prospect, of ending up with a Thai Male as a providor as a last resort does not thrill them. (Not in a country, where Thai Males consider a Lady having worked in the Hostess-Business as "used merchandise".)

Ever worse: 2 of my aquaintances have stopped sending money to their families a long time ago ("they want too much"). Meaning that they could not count on "family-support" any more these days.
- Regardless of the fun we have when we meet, it always ends up on a somber note, especially if I have to tell them that I have no Farang friend on my hands contemplating marriage with a Thai Lady.
I may not call them up on my next visit anymore. I take no pleasure in the realisation that by far not all participants of the Pattaya-Circus came out as "winners".

Archived