Refrigerator cycle?

Lacessit

I am renting an apartment in Chiang Mai which has a large LG refrigerator. I am concerned the refrigerator ( over 10 years old ) is adding to the heat load, and using more electricity than it should. At times when I am not occupying the apartment, and the refrigerator is the only appliance operating, I will still get a monthly bill of 500 - 600 baht.

Recording a few times I got the following results: OFF 26 minutes. ON 34 minutes. OFF 11 minutes. ON 16 minutes. OFF 15 minutes. ON 25 minutes. The refrigerator was kept closed at all times during these measurements.

Is this normal for a compressor-type refrigerator? It seems to me either there is a leak somewhere ( the seals look sound ) or maybe the refrigerant level is low. Knowledgeable  comment requested.

Is the beast a simple fridge or a fridge freezer?

600 baht is about 150 units, over a 30 day month that's 5 units a day (assuming government rates @4 Baht per unit). An average load of around 200 Watts.

I've never checked ours but a quick Google suggests that a 50% duty cycle isn't unreasonable.

If you really want to save power when away, empty the beast, prop the door open (important to avoid smells) and pull the plug (or even turn off at the mains).

I never measured the cycle times of our old Hitachi but guessing it was probably similar to yours.  Do you know what rate you are paying per KWH?  Rentals will often jack up the PEA cost.  BTW:  we now have a Samsung "inverter" type refrigerator that keeps constant temp at very low energy consumption.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Is the beast a simple fridge or a fridge freezer?

600 baht is about 150 units, over a 30 day month that's 5 units a day (assuming government rates @4 Baht per unit). An average load of around 200 Watts.

I've never checked ours but a quick Google suggests that a 50% duty cycle isn't unreasonable.

If you really want to save power when away, empty the beast, prop the door open (important to avoid smells) and pull the plug (or even turn off at the mains).

It's a fridge plus freezer. Biiig. My feeling is the duty cycle is about 60-70% ON. I would like to get a smaller, quieter fridge that doesn't pump so much heat in. Bankruatsteve's suggestion sounds good. I am paying government rates direct through the PEA. Now to have a dance with my landlord's agent. Fortunately, I do have a good landlord.

Archived