Light fingered foreigners on the rampage in Krabi

webfact

Light fingered foreigners on the rampage in Krabi

1pm.jpg

Sanook said that thieving foreigners were an increasing problem in Krabi.

Whether it is clothes, bikinis, bags or wallets the thieves just keep on coming. 

There are some arrests but in most cases as soon as the police get a lead the foreigners have gone home, said the Thai media. 

Tourist areas like Ao Nang and Phi Phi Island are rich picking grounds for the tourist thieves

The latest case was the theft of a bag belonging to a staff member on a pleasure boat.

A man in a white t-shirt and shorts was caught on onboard CCTV lifting a bag belonging to Saharat, 21.

He later reported the loss of the bag to the police - it contained his Thai ID, a phone, an ATM card and 5,000 baht among many other items. 

Sanook said the CCTV was clear getting a good image of the "nasty foreigner". 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-14

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not excusing the theft - I hope they get caught and spend some time in prison thinking about it, but I wonder if old mate often carries the equivalent of ten days wages around with him or whether he saw a chance to get some compensation if the thief is caught...

11 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Rampage !!!! ''to move through a place in a violent and uncontrollable manner''...run for your lives its the thieving foriengers..

I'm imagining a slightly sunburnt godzilla in some boardshorts and a Singha t-shirt rampaging through the markets stealing stuff...

4 hours ago, SammyT said:

Definitely not excusing the theft - I hope they get caught and spend some time in prison thinking about it, but I wonder if old mate often carries the equivalent of ten days wages around with him or whether he saw a chance to get some compensation if the thief is caught...

Sorry for not understanding your post but the owner of the bag is a twenty-one years old American man!

40 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Sorry for not understanding your post but the owner of the bag is a twenty-one years old American man!

"

A man in a white t-shirt and shorts was caught on onboard CCTV lifting a bag belonging to Saharat, 21.

He later reported the loss of the bag to the police - it contained his Thai ID, a phone, an ATM card and 5,000 baht among many other items. "

It contained his Thai ID and his name was Saharat. Not exactly hallmarks of an American. 

5 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Seems crazy to break the law in a foreign country especially in this age of real-time surveillance and a camera can be in something as ordinary as a light bulb.

Not necessarily, it really depends on how greedy the thieves are.... If they stay too long and get greedy with the pickings they may get caught, but it takes time for surveillance to catch up - so if you come -- make a few good targets... then leave and onto the next country -- it can be safer than just staying in one country (your home) where everytime you do it you roll the dice but sooner or later it comes up craps.

Just don't do it in a sharia country or you might become the one handed bandit!

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

"

He later reported the loss of the bag to the police - it contained his Thai ID, a phone, an ATM card and 5,000 baht among many other items. "

It contained his Thai ID and his name was Saharat. Not exactly hallmarks of an American. 

I had a Thai friend who was born in the US, so his parents named him saharat lol

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

"

Except that Saharat means USA in Thai language.  But could probably also be a Thai name.

Last time i went to Krabi we were Royally robbed on one of Songserms buses with the little trap door. The bus crew insisted all bags went underneath in stowage, then when we arrived in Krabi we found out that our bags had been robbed of anything valuable by the little sneaky barstuard climbing inside the hold. I went back to the Bus company had it out with the staff and was told it was the "Mafia" that was controlling the buses and it wouldn't be wise to say anything....... low life..... I wonder if these lads do buses as well, or is that just a Thai racket ?

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

You'd be making big eyes if you really knew with how much money Thais are walking around. At least more than most stupid farangs who think they're the only ones with money here. What a totally corrupted and condescending view you have on Thai people! 

4 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Last time i went to Krabi we were Royally robbed on one of Songserms buses with the little trap door. The bus crew insisted all bags went underneath in stowage, then when we arrived in Krabi we found out that our bags had been robbed of anything valuable by the little sneaky barstuard climbing inside the hold. I went back to the Bus company had it out with the staff and was told it was the "Mafia" that was controlling the buses and it wouldn't be wise to say anything....... low life..... I wonder if these lads do buses as well, or is that just a Thai racket ?

Always keep valuables with, in a backpack or fanny pack.

Archived