Thailand ranks as one of top 5 global destinations for Airbnb guests from Mainland China

webfact

Airbnb witnesses 100% growth in Guest Arrivals from China this Chinese New Year

Thailand ranks as one of top 5 global destinations for Airbnb guests from Mainland China. Thai hosts on Airbnb earned a total of THB186 million in host income this CNY, which represents a 50% jump in earnings.

168e9ac9d516917eb1.jpeg

Chinese New Year, Yaowarat Road, Bangkok. Photo: iStock.com/justhavealook

THAILAND – February 13, 2019 – Airbnb, the end-to-end global travel platform, released new data  highlighting Thailand as one of the top 5 global destinations for travellers from Mainland China this Chinese New Year (CNY) holiday -- described by many as “the world's largest annual human migration”.

The Chinese travel market is embracing a golden age of ‘consumption upgrading’ and the rise of the “experience economy”, such that Thailand becomes one of the top destinations for Chinese travellers all year round, and especially during peak festive periods like the CNY.

China continues to grow in importance as a market for Thailand’s tourism and the local host community. Key travel trends include:

·         Growth and Diversity of Local Tourism. The number of guest arrivals made by Airbnb guests from China for travel during CNY increased 100% compared to last year. Bangkok is one of the top global cities with an increasing popularity of extended trips to secondary destinations such as Chon Buri, Hua Hin, Rayong, Saraburi and Ayutthaya.

·         More Income for Locals. Welcoming more than 44,000 guests, local Airbnb hosts earned a total of THB 186 million in extra income. During this peak CNY travel season, the typical Airbnb host in Thailand earned more than THB 43,000 within the span of eight days.

·         Millennials Continue to Choose Airbnb. More than 80% of bookings made by independent Chinese travelers on Airbnb for the 2019 CNY holiday were made by users born in the 1980s and 1990s. Millennials are one of the most powerful consumer demographics in the travel industry and there are more millenials in China than there are people in the United States.

·         Travel With Family. Nearly 60% of reservations made by Chinese guests for CNY travel are for groups of three or more travelers.

·         The Rise of the Experience Economy. Beyond just a place to stay, Airbnb sees a rise in popularity with Chinese travellers booking Airbnb Experiences in Thailand. Chinese travellers can connect with locals through cooking classes and biking tours in off-the-beaten track neighbourhoods, which are amongst the most booked activities.

Diversifying the Tourist Spendings to Thais and Local Neighbourhoods

With the Tourism Authority of Thailand anticipating an 8% increase in visitor numbers this year, this allows locals to be a part of the tourism ecosystem by allowing passionate local Airbnb hosts share about their culture with Chinese travellers.

Locals are increasingly seeing the benefits to hosting especially during peak travel seasons -- Airbnb’s host community in Thailand earned a total of THB186 million in host income this CNY, which represents a 50% jump in earnings compared to CNY last year.

Tatiya, a geophysicist who is passionate about travel and meeting new people, decided to turn hosting with Airbnb into a full time career. She is now both an Airbnb Home and Experiences Host, and hosted two Chinese families during the CNY week.

Fu, Airbnb guest from Nanjing, China shares his positive feedback.

“Tatiya is friendly and welcoming. The listing is not the typical tourist hotspot, but near unique local neighbourhoods which provided a different travel experience. I also wished I stayed longer so I could take her cooking class.”

Jiaxuan, another guest, quips, “We enjoyed the breakfast she provided for us every morning, and her house was cosy and comfortable. We also had memorable conversations with Tatiya and learnt more about Thailand.”

Airbnb’s Head of Public Policy for Southeast Asia, Mich Goh, said the positive numbers highlighted the growing importance of the local Airbnb community to Thailand’s tourism economy. “Known for their welcoming hospitality, passionate Thais have become the forefront of an important type of tourism that is people-driven, local, authentic and sustainable,” shared Goh. “Airbnb is focused on promoting a more healthy form of tourism that continuously empowers the local Thai host community and helps drive economic activity into communities and neighbourhoods that our hosts call home.”

Around the world, guests from China travel to 1,048 cities in 111 countries and regions during CNY. While traditional travel destinations like Japan, Thailand, New Zealand, Australia, the United States, Korea, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, Russia, and France continued to receive Chinese travelers, the top five most popular destinations for travel outside of mainland China are:

1.                   Taiwan

2.                   Bangkok

3.                   Osaka

4.                   Hong Kong

5.                   Queenstown

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

1.                   Taiwan

2.                   Bangkok

3.                   Osaka

4.                   Hong Kong

5.                   Queenstown

The New Zealand town with like 16 000 citizens?

Bangkok is up there again. But to many its horrible. Went to T21 early around 530 pm to beat the rush but it was chaotic.. All Chinese and no tables

Air bnb is not illegal. It's the Thais Tha are illegal renting out nightly but it's totally uncontrollable. Bib ain't gonna bother shaking down a thai there are just too many

Not just Airbnb there are other booking platforms that do exactly the same, ie, Booking.com, Tripadvisor to mention a couple, illegal or not it has certainly helped a few people out with an extra income to pay their bank loans or mortgages and people who book through these companies are not zero $$$$ tourist they are spending good money whilst they are here.

I know of one family right now, Fly here Thai Air Asia, Rented a car from the airport, rented a villa from a Thai not cheap I might add and are spending money in the local community 7/11 restaurants boat trips how many locals have benefited from that one family? 

Personally I dont think there is anything wrong with Airbnb lots of the problems stem from the owners "Host"

13 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Presumably you don't live in a condo building i.e. your home that has been transformed into something between a youth hostel and a refugee camp?

I agree with you I also used to live in a smart condo in BKK and yes I would been pissed off but a lot of that is down to the owners, one problem is allowing self check in they never know who is turning up

I put my last airbnb stay on airbnbhell site. Not worth the risk of ending up with sub standard accommodation, crazy hosts or a last minute cancellations. Hosts might, and i'm sure some do, have a history of mental health problems and violence. Two bad stays put me back in the Hotel market.

Hello,

I live at Grand Belle Condo, Tower A1 and Tower A2 located on Rama 9 Huaykwang. Everyday, I noticed that approximately 10 to 20 Chinese residents are registering for Airbnb units!  It's against the law but juristic office doesn't care about the law breakers!

the article paints a nice picture of air bnb and the great thai host but not the reality of most of these rentals from what i have seen and heard.

a large percentage of the rentals in thailand are condos in BKK and I have seen warning signs in the lifts of fines for any owners caught renting via booking.com or air bnb for less than a month in one place for example (50k fine).

another had recently installed finger print scanners for the main door specifically to try to stop air bnb rentals.

most friends and family i know in these condo blocks (thai/foreign) seem to be constantly trying to get the juristic office to stop air bnb rentals.

it's ironic because many comments on air bnb for BKK condo rentals say how it was good to see how the locals lived instead of staying in a hotel when in reality they are despised by most of the residents.

if i had bought a condo to live in and the the building was turned into a virtual hostel with cheapskates wanting to save on a hotel going 4/6 to a room and sitting around drinking by the pool all day, getting back pissed at all hours and generally making a nuisance of themselves i'd be pretty annoyed too.

3 hours ago, MARK74 said:

the article paints a nice picture of air bnb and the great thai host but not the reality of most of these rentals from what i have seen and heard.

a large percentage of the rentals in thailand are condos in BKK and I have seen warning signs in the lifts of fines for any owners caught renting via booking.com or air bnb for less than a month in one place for example (50k fine).

another had recently installed finger print scanners for the main door specifically to try to stop air bnb rentals.

most friends and family i know in these condo blocks (thai/foreign) seem to be constantly trying to get the juristic office to stop air bnb rentals.

it's ironic because many comments on air bnb for BKK condo rentals say how it was good to see how the locals lived instead of staying in a hotel when in reality they are despised by most of the residents.

if i had bought a condo to live in and the the building was turned into a virtual hostel with cheapskates wanting to save on a hotel going 4/6 to a room and sitting around drinking by the pool all day, getting back pissed at all hours and generally making a nuisance of themselves i'd be pretty annoyed too.

My building is a condo where the jurisdic person’s family owns a large number of units they rent out (2 night minimum) and they also handle short term rentals for owners. This year I have seen prostitutes and drug dealers living there too.

Just now, Searat7 said:

My building is a condo where the jurisdic person’s family owns a large number of units they rent out (2 night minimum) and they also handle short term rentals for owners. This year I have seen prostitutes and drug dealers living there too.

Is that legal?

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Pretty much kills the argument that all Chinese are on package tours . I wish people would make up their mind.

Indeed, they wanted all them zero $ tourist out which they managed to do and emptied a load of hotels what are they supposed to do? people do need to live

Airbnb is great for the property owner, but living next door to an Airbnb property...not so much.

The 4 bedroom house next to me in a higher end Moo Baan would get 15-20 Chinese staying at any one time, vans at all hours, kids screaming, "kid soup" in the pool and abusing common areas (gym, pool table etc), teasing and throwing things at my dogs and generally just a real nuisance. I could imagine if 5 or 10 other properties did the same thing, it would be close to unbearable to live here.

It took 3 raids by Immigration over 2 months on the property/owner as well as the Juristic people and security who allowed it to happen. Now there is a sign at the entrance saying "No Airbnb", and it has stopped...for now.

I pity anyone that has Airbnb next door or even close by...it's not at all fun.

Archived