BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand ranks as one of top 5 global destinations for Airbnb guests from Mainland China

the article paints a nice picture of air bnb and the great thai host but not the reality of most of these rentals from what i have seen and heard.

a large percentage of the rentals in thailand are condos in BKK and I have seen warning signs in the lifts of fines for any owners caught renting via booking.com or air bnb for less than a month in one place for example (50k fine).

another had recently installed finger print scanners for the main door specifically to try to stop air bnb rentals.

most friends and family i know in these condo blocks (thai/foreign) seem to be constantly trying to get the juristic office to stop air bnb rentals.

it's ironic because many comments on air bnb for BKK condo rentals say how it was good to see how the locals lived instead of staying in a hotel when in reality they are despised by most of the residents.

if i had bought a condo to live in and the the building was turned into a virtual hostel with cheapskates wanting to save on a hotel going 4/6 to a room and sitting around drinking by the pool all day, getting back pissed at all hours and generally making a nuisance of themselves i'd be pretty annoyed too.

• Like 2

"Thai hosts on Airbnb" or Chinese that bought the places to be used as illegal hotels..

3 hours ago, MARK74 said:

the article paints a nice picture of air bnb and the great thai host but not the reality of most of these rentals from what i have seen and heard.

a large percentage of the rentals in thailand are condos in BKK and I have seen warning signs in the lifts of fines for any owners caught renting via booking.com or air bnb for less than a month in one place for example (50k fine).

another had recently installed finger print scanners for the main door specifically to try to stop air bnb rentals.

most friends and family i know in these condo blocks (thai/foreign) seem to be constantly trying to get the juristic office to stop air bnb rentals.

it's ironic because many comments on air bnb for BKK condo rentals say how it was good to see how the locals lived instead of staying in a hotel when in reality they are despised by most of the residents.

if i had bought a condo to live in and the the building was turned into a virtual hostel with cheapskates wanting to save on a hotel going 4/6 to a room and sitting around drinking by the pool all day, getting back pissed at all hours and generally making a nuisance of themselves i'd be pretty annoyed too.

My building is a condo where the jurisdic person’s family owns a large number of units they rent out (2 night minimum) and they also handle short term rentals for owners. This year I have seen prostitutes and drug dealers living there too.

Just now, Searat7 said:

My building is a condo where the jurisdic person’s family owns a large number of units they rent out (2 night minimum) and they also handle short term rentals for owners. This year I have seen prostitutes and drug dealers living there too.

Is that legal?

19 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Is that legal?

Sure its legal

Sure its legal
Ha,,, would they care???...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Is that legal?

No it is not legal, 30 rent/lease days minimum unless they have a hotel license.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

I thought it was ILLEGAL in LOS.Or did some bend the rules?

Everybody bends the rules here

Pretty much kills the argument that all Chinese are on package tours . I wish people would make up their mind.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Pretty much kills the argument that all Chinese are on package tours . I wish people would make up their mind.

Indeed, they wanted all them zero $ tourist out which they managed to do and emptied a load of hotels what are they supposed to do? people do need to live

Airbnb is great for the property owner, but living next door to an Airbnb property...not so much.

The 4 bedroom house next to me in a higher end Moo Baan would get 15-20 Chinese staying at any one time, vans at all hours, kids screaming, "kid soup" in the pool and abusing common areas (gym, pool table etc), teasing and throwing things at my dogs and generally just a real nuisance. I could imagine if 5 or 10 other properties did the same thing, it would be close to unbearable to live here.

It took 3 raids by Immigration over 2 months on the property/owner as well as the Juristic people and security who allowed it to happen. Now there is a sign at the entrance saying "No Airbnb", and it has stopped...for now.

I pity anyone that has Airbnb next door or even close by...it's not at all fun.