Working in reception

In a hotel only the management jobs can be done by foreigners.

The rest is a restricted thai profession.

I am not sure if/how the foreigner have to proof that he's qualified as a manager.

I guess these foreigners you see there on big hotels are mostly managing the the reception stuff, kitchenmanagers etc and thus get a work permit.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Activated said:

They have a work permit and the job is not on the restricted list as far as i can tell but the list is very vague on hospitality. 

It falls under "Front shop sales" as customer service. You could possibley see some at desks now that are under different rules since they are from neighboring countries under a MOU that are allowed to do it.

As said most you have probably seen are working in management positions.

16 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

In a hotel only the management jobs can be done by foreigners.

The rest is a restricted thai profession.

I am not sure if/how the foreigner have to proof that he's qualified as a manager.

I guess these foreigners you see there on big hotels are mostly managing the the reception stuff, kitchenmanagers etc and thus get a work permit.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I found that some of the house keeping staff in Thai hotels are Burmese/Cambodian/Laos not sure if they are being employed legally or not.

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It falls under "Front shop sales" as customer service. You could possibley see some at desks now that are under different rules since they are from neighboring countries under a MOU that are allowed to do it.

As said most you have probably seen are working in management positions.

Understood, the "farang" seen behind counter must be managing the thai staff. There must be a different set of rules for Burmese and laos workers behind reception. 

2 minutes ago, Activated said:

Understood, the "farang" seen behind counter must be managing the thai staff. There must be a different set of rules for Burmese and laos workers behind reception. 

Yes there are generally for workers from surrounding countries.

Just because someone "looks like" a "farang", don't assume they are. They maybe an off-spring of a farang. My daughter just started a student assignment at a hotel in Pattaya. She looks like a farang, but is Thai-Canadian.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunKenAP said:

Just because someone "looks like" a "farang", don't assume they are. They maybe an off-spring of a farang. My daughter just started a student assignment at a hotel in Pattaya. She looks like a farang, but is Thai-Canadian.

Good point and there's also the opposite picture about 'looks like a farang' etc. My Thai son's face look 100% Thai, but his family name is a very common western name.

Several times he's applied for jobs on-line and got a quick response 'your family name is farang, this job is for Thai people only', and similar. Or of course no response at all.

On one occasion he responded to a walk-in interview advertisement. Receptionist took his CV to the Thai boss and came back and said 'boss don't like farang employees, trouble makers', bye bye.  

Several times he wrote in bold bigger all caps font, different colour, in both the covering e-mail and on the top of his CV:

I AM A THAI NATIONAL BORN IN THAILAND EDUCATED IN THAILAND, I'M LOOKING FOR A POSITION AS A THAI NATIONAL STAFF, NOT AS A FARANG EMPLOYEE.

Most times he did that he got a phone call asking for more explanation. A couple of time the comments, on one occasion with some sever chartizment, from the HR Dept., 'this is not possible, Thai people are not allowed to have farang family names so we cannot accept your application'. 

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Rubbish, my kids are Thai and have a farang name.

Yes it is rubbish, the fact that their names at birth etc., are recorded with a farang name and/or surname is just one piece of proof that it's legal. 

A buddy has an adopted Thai son. He had to write a detailed letter to the Interior Ministry to seek approval for the adoption and approval for the boy's family name to be changed to the farang's western surname.

At one point there was an interview, questions and discussion with the farang, and then privately with the boy (about 14 yrs old) . Official asked the boy do you want to change your family name to your daddy's family name? Instant strong YES, from the boy. 

A few minutes later the farang was briefed about the discussion with the boy, and the officer said to the boy 'your a very lucky boy', the boy responded 'yes I know'.   

Soon after a letter came from MOA, with itemized approval on both points.

Edited by scorecard

33 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A few minutes later the farang was briefed about the discussion with the boy, and the officer said to the boy 'your a very lucky boy', the boy responded 'yes I know'.  

Not sure why having a farang name is lucky. Maybe it means he can get citizenship for his step father's country.

I have my kids a Thai middle name to show they are duals. This was after the hospitals told me they couldn't get a middle name.

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not sure why having a farang name is lucky. Maybe it means he can get citizenship for his step father's country.

I have my kids a Thai middle name to show they are duals. This was after the hospitals told me they couldn't get a middle name.

I'm told that the MOA official wasn't specifically meaning a farang name is lucky, just a broad overview comment.