Bank Statements for Retirement Extension

Gents,

I have read pretty much every post on the subject of the new rules re Retirement extensions and I am still scratching my head on one point, Bank Statements ????

I have been going down the Retirement Extension path for the last 7 or 8 years with nothing more than the Stat Dec from the Australian Embassy, without any other proof to back up what it said.

I got in late last year and grabbed my last Stat Dec and I am due to renew by the 9th March and I am not sure what I am going to get hit up with when I go in to do it at the Jomtien office.

I was just down at the local SCB branch and ran my passbook through the update machine and while I was there I asked about a statement, in particular a "Deposit Only" statement which is what I am reading into what everyone has been saying is required, the lady I spoke to, in typical Thai fashion when they have no idea what you are saying, just smiled, nodded her head and said yes, so I'm none the wiser.

So my question is, has anyone actually got what Immigration are asking for from SCB and just what exactly is it, a full statement of every transaction for the past year which would take a ream of paper to print it or as I have been thinking, just a statement that shows the deposits made to the account ??

Also in my passbook, the transfers from Oz, regardless of whether they were direct bank to bank transfers or like I have been doing since May last year and using OrbitRemit which makes a deposit to my account from another Thai bank, both only show up as X1 - Transfer or Deposit No Book, no mention what so ever of being an International transfer.

Since you have a statutory declaration for this years extension you should not be asked for anything more than some basic back up proof for it if any is needed.

You can get a statement from the bank but it will show all transactions not only the deposits or transfers into the country. As far as I know that is all they can provide.

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe, I did read one post yesterday by an Aussie up Khon Kaen way I think it was, where he was saying that the Immigration office he was in was telling him that because his Embassy no longer issued them they wouldn't accept it, I've been here 12 years now and I know just how unpredictable they can be.

I have had issues at Jomtien in the past with one women in particular who always questions the validity of the Aussie Stat decs, simply I believe because the Aust Embassy only uses an ink stamp and not an embossing stamp the way I believe other embassies do, so I have taken to stapling the receipt to it so I can prove it isn't a copy as she claims it is.

• Like 2

My SCB Bank provides me with a section in online banking, called
Historical Statement.
Here on the account the entries and exits for each month are listed separately.
The monthly pension is shown as FRC (Foreign Remitance & Settlement).
The list can be printed. In my case backdated to Aril 2018.
Might be adequate as confirmation of immigration.
The bank's server should also be able to print and confirm these lists.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

Also in my passbook, the transfers from Oz, regardless of whether they were direct bank to bank transfers or like I have been doing since May last year and using OrbitRemit which makes a deposit to my account from another Thai bank, both only show up as X1 - Transfer or Deposit No Book, no mention what so ever of being an International transfer.

This could be a major problem for you, going forward from March. You will need to find some way of making transfers from Oz which attract the coveted FTT (or SCB equivalent) coding in your passbook. This could well come down to finding out from your Aussie bank which agency bank they use in Thailand for SWIFT transfers, and then endeavouring to open an account with said bank for the purposes of receiving future monthly transfers.

TransferWise are definitely out as a possible alternative to OrbitRemit for transfers into an SCB account, since the only agency banks they use in Thailand are Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and TMB. 

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, healey100 said:

My SCB Bank provides me with a section in online banking, called
Historical Statement.
Here on the account the entries and exits for each month are listed separately.
The monthly pension is shown as FRC (Foreign Remitance & Settlement).

Just looking at my online Historical Statements and it shows the same as yours for the Bank to Bank transfers, but for the OrbitRemit transfers it shows BCMS, no explanation for that on the page, any idea what it stands for ??

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

This could be a major problem for you, going forward from March. You will need to find some way of making transfers from Oz which attract the coveted FTT (or SCB equivalent) coding in your passbook. This could well come down to finding out from your Aussie bank which agency bank they use in Thailand for SWIFT transfers, and then endeavouring to open an account with said bank for the purposes of receiving future transfers.

I approached OrbitRemit about creating a statement that would show international transfers over a 1 year period and they weren't that interested, however they already supply something that may get me over the line on a transaction by transaction basis that proves it was an international transfer, see the attachment.

Screen Shot 02-14-19 at 01.49 PM.PNG

47 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe, I did read one post yesterday by an Aussie up Khon Kaen way I think it was, where he was saying that the Immigration office he was in was telling him that because his Embassy no longer issued them they wouldn't accept it, I've been here 12 years now and I know just how unpredictable they can be.

The problem he has was not the stat dec but the wording he had on because he put "deposit" instead of income. His was for an extension based upon marriage and the problem was not with the local office. It was with division headquarters where it was sent for approval.

47 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

I have had issues at Jomtien in the past with one women in particular who always questions the validity of the Aussie Stat decs, simply I believe because the Aust Embassy only uses an ink stamp and not an embossing stamp the way I believe other embassies do, so I have taken to stapling the receipt to it so I can prove it isn't a copy as she claims it is.

Jomtien can be problematic. But I don't think you will have a problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I strongly recommend that you check with your local immigration office whether such statements, when read in tandem with passbook entries, would satisfy their requirements. TransferWise produce similar statements, and concerns have been expressed in other recent threads as to the likely willingness of immigration officers to accept these as evidence of the foreign provenance of particular transfers which have not been coded FTT or similar. 

Yeap, it is my intention to try and renew this time around hopefully without any dramas and once I have the extension ask very nicely if they will accept these statements next year as proof of transfer, otherwise I will need to go back to the horrible rates and excess fees that I get bank to bank, that image above is just a screenshot of what shows, but each has a pdf download with more detail in it such as date etc that can be lined up with a deposit in the bank book, see attached.

Screen Shot 02-14-19 at 02.13 PM.PNG

This is something that I have been thinking about as (until now!) a TransferWise customer. I would imagine that TW is a very savvy company with expert IT skills. It would surely be a fairly simple task to generate a rolling one-year PdF document showing a simple one-line entry for each transfer that could be printed off. And then if Thai banks could do a matching printout of deposits only then there is a chance that IOs wouldn't find it too onerous to check. We can dream.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sniggie said:

This is something that I have been thinking about as (until now!) a TransferWise customer. I would imagine that TW is a very savvy company with expert IT skills. It would surely be a fairly simple task to generate a rolling one-year PdF document showing a simple one-line entry for each transfer that could be printed off. And then if Thai banks could do a matching printout of deposits only then there is a chance that IOs wouldn't find it too onerous to check. We can dream.  

That is exactly the way I was thinking about OrbitRemit, but they just weren't interested and fobbed me off.

2 hours ago, Pungdo said:

I approached OrbitRemit about creating a statement that would show international transfers over a 1 year period and they weren't that interested, however they already supply something that may get me over the line on a transaction by transaction basis that proves it was an international transfer, see the attachment.

There is a ray of hope and this issued from the IO at Phuket states that............"evidence of adequate finance more than 65,000 monthly" will be sufficient to prove you have enough for the retirement extension to be granted. It doesn't stipulate that it has to come from overseas.

Hopefully that will apply elsewhere too??

aa.jpg.8b9f42751d0437151e6f3ce59cf46de5.jpg

• Like 1

I have a question about wire transfer fees.  There have been numerous posts indictating that Fidelity Cash Management Account holders are able to wire money to a Thai bank for free ($0.)  I was charged $30 for a $2,200 wire transfer to Bangkok Bank on February 11th.  I have inquired several times each of Fidelity Direct and of my NY-based financial advisor (LLFA) the reason why I am being charged when everyone whom I know in Thailand says that their wire transfers are free.  Fidelity says that the $30 is a fee charged by my advisor; my advisor says that the money doesn't come to him but that it is charged by Fidelity.  The only explanation that I can imagine for the discrepancy is that the people who are getting free transfers are in fact using domestic bank-to-bank transfers which will be free until April 1.  After that they will not be accepted by Bangkok Bank. People will then need to pay Fidelity $30 for the transfer or use a transfer service that may unpredictably transfer the money from another Thai Bank resulting in the wrong transfer code posted by the receiving bank.  The required transfer code is FTT.

Could anyone who has knowledge of the Fidelity transfer procedures please comment?

10 minutes ago, baggies666 said:

No this just looks like the "bare bones" to assist IOs with the basics 

11 minutes ago, baggies666 said:

and for the combined version min 400k all year in account

Now that I have never seen posted...........Yes, 800k 2 months before and 3 months after, then 400k untouched, but combination method m o, not seen. Nor anything about using the 65k pm method AND having 400k in the bank. 

Perhaps different interpretations, but the one which interested me was as posted because my remits to BBK Bank don't always show as foreign funds, but perhaps they don't have to??

30 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

I have a question about wire transfer fees.  There have been numerous posts indictating that Fidelity Cash Management Account holders are able to wire money to a Thai bank for free ($0.)  I was charged $30 for a $2,200 wire transfer to Bangkok Bank on February 11th.  I have inquired several times each of Fidelity Direct and of my NY-based financial advisor (LLFA) the reason why I am being charged when everyone whom I know in Thailand says that their wire transfers are free.  Fidelity says that the $30 is a fee charged by my advisor; my advisor says that the money doesn't come to him but that it is charged by Fidelity.  The only explanation that I can imagine for the discrepancy is that the people who are getting free transfers are in fact using domestic bank-to-bank transfers which will be free until April 1.  After that they will not be accepted by Bangkok Bank. People will then need to pay Fidelity $30 for the transfer or use a transfer service that may unpredictably transfer the money from another Thai Bank resulting in the wrong transfer code posted by the receiving bank.  The required transfer code is FTT.

Could anyone who has knowledge of the Fidelity transfer procedures please comment?

I'm interested in what the answer is if you succeed in getting to the bottom of it.  Here's something from a competitor about the Fidelity process, so should be taken with a grain salt.  They say it costs $15 and perhaps more depending on the intermediary banks used.  

https://transferwise.com/us/blog/international-wire-transfer-fidelity-us

I do appreciate the frustration with having to deal with two people (brokerage and advisor) pointing the finger at each other rather than serving their client.

I've never used an advisor so I don't know how they get compensated for their advice.  I've always been pretty good at making my mistakes all by myself. ????

Please report back on what you find out as I've been one of those who has heard that Fidelity has $0 international wire fees.  If it's not really true I'd like to know that so I don't spread erroneous information.

I've also heard that Vanguard has $10 international wire fees and I intend to put that to the test shortly.

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

No this just looks like the "bare bones" to assist IOs with the basics 

Now that I have never seen posted...........Yes, 800k 2 months before and 3 months after, then 400k untouched, but combination method m o, not seen. Nor anything about using the 65k pm method AND having 400k in the bank. 

Perhaps different interpretations, but the one which interested me was as posted because my remits to BBK Bank don't always show as foreign funds, but perhaps they don't have to??

Ok thanks, I may go down there in a few weeks, I normall go mid April to do mine but I was interested in the combo method as would prefer to leave 400k all year round as I do monthly transfers anyway but not pension.

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

There is a ray of hope and this issued from the IO at Phuket states that............"evidence of adequate finance more than 65,000 monthly" will be sufficient to prove you have enough for the retirement extension to be granted. It doesn't stipulate that it has to come from overseas.

Hopefully that will apply elsewhere too??

What "evidence" will be acceptable?

It has been reported in another thread that Thai Bank HQs have all been informed of what Thai immigration needs and can provide a more detailed statement than one is likely to get from one's branch, and that you should call the HQ.

I can't verify this myself but you might like to try it..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1