BANGKOK
killerbeez

150 down - 50 up - Only 700 a month!

I love my TOT internet...
The price has been the same for years... 700 baht a month.
When I first signed up it was 10 mbs down and 5 mbs up.
How times have changed!

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

When I first signed up in Thailand I used my 14.4k modem on the phone line - that was the fastest available modem at that time.

Things changed a lot.

Is life now a lot better with Internet more than 1,000 times faster? Sometimes yes. But sometimes I have my doubt...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"When I where a lad" we only had a 9600 baud modem..and I remember it taking a whole weekend to download a 100Mb file (partly because some bugger kept picking up the phone and dialing pizza..which killed the internet connection so start again :-( )

3 hours ago, johng said:

"When I where a lad" we only had a 9600 baud modem..and I remember it taking a whole weekend to download a 100Mb file (partly because some bugger kept picking up the phone and dialing pizza..which killed the internet connection so start again 😞 )

I don't believe you.

At that time there was no such thing as a 100MB file. What would you have downloaded? A movie? Nobody did that at that time.

And where would you have saved it? on your 40MB HDD?

I remember downloading the newest Netscape version. I think it was almost 3MB and it took almost 30 minutes...

• Like 1

I learned HTML coding on a program from AOL... I think it was called Coffee Cup or something like that! Moved on to Front Page and then quickly to Dreamweaver!

I arrived on the 'home' computing scene just as 28.8 modems were giving way to the lightning fast 33.6 modems.

Modem drivers were the hardest to install... maybe even harder than flatbed scanner drivers! (Never the twain shall meet!}

Edited by killerbeez
  • Like 1

killerbeez go to testmy.net and post your results... many of these tests use cached results in thailand to give false readings....

Talking about old Tech, interesting to look at this circa 1990 computer magazine. Windows 3, 40MB hard drives, Bulletin boards.

https://archive.org/stream/byte-magazine-1990-12/1990_12_BYTE_15-13_State_of_the_Art_Advanced_Graphics#page/n59/mode/2up

Edited by Peterw42

I'm on True and am paying more than that for 50 down 20 up.

Unfortunately my options are limited due to the the cables around my building. Although besides torrenting and downloading the occasional steam game I'd never utilise more than that.

Lets not forget these "speeds" are only within Thailand, go outside (as most do) and watch it drop to stupid levels.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When I first signed up in Thailand I used my 14.4k modem on the phone line - that was the fastest available modem at that time.

Things changed a lot.

Is life now a lot better with Internet more than 1,000 times faster? Sometimes yes. But sometimes I have my doubt...

Actually first access was to incountry system here rather than direct to internet - special software/browser required and very slow.  But for someone like myself who lived a life of 75 baud Model 28 Teletype it was a step up.  Suspect for most of us 50-150 has little practical meaning - it is f a s t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killerbeez said:

Never the twain shall meet

I remember TWAIN but I don't remember the details. Was it

Thing Without Any Interesting Name

or Technology Without An Important Name

or Toolkit Without An Important Name

On 2/14/2019 at 1:41 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Things changed a lot.

Remember it well........................:wink:

22 minutes ago, chrisinth said:
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Things changed a lot.

Remember it well........................:wink: