BANGKOK 21 March 2019 06:36
ross163103

Ground issues/farang electrician

As with a lot of houses here in Thailand; I've got electrical issues. I've had a couple of "Somchais" come in at different times and work on my house but not surprisingly I still have issues. Does someone know any qualified farang electricians around the Pattaya area that would take on some work? Basically checking the ground and making sure all outlets/hot water machines are grounded. Somchai has said everything is correct but I still get some "tingles" from some of the appliances.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Somchai has said everything is correct but I still get some "tingles" from some of the appliances.

Tickles from Class-1 appliances isn't good.

The basic checks are not beyond a reasonably competent DIYer with a multimeter (a few 00 Baht from Tesco), a screwdriver or two and a modicum of common-sense.

Have a look at this pinned thread

A number of board members are retired (or otherwise) sparkies from various countries. I'll leave it to them to come back to our OP.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:29 AM, emptypockets said:

Yes.but you couldn't afford me.

I can, but going by your signature I guess you haven't had much luck getting work. Good luck filling up those pockets.

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, Crossy said:

Tickles from Class-1 appliances isn't good.

The basic checks are not beyond a reasonably competent DIYer with a multimeter (a few 00 Baht from Tesco), a screwdriver or two and a modicum of common-sense.

Have a look at this pinned thread

A number of board members are retired (or otherwise) sparkies from various countries. I'll leave it to them to come back to our OP.

Doesn't indicate that 'ground' is/should also be a bus connection.

Picky? Yes I know! 

I had a similar problem with my earth/ground. In the end I went to the depot that oversees the area where I live. I asked if they had experienced people that come and check my house. They did and my problem was sorted. All their electricians are uni trained.  My problem was that the negative was connected to the earth/ground in the consumer unit.

3 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

I had a similar problem with my earth/ground. In the end I went to the depot that oversees the area where I live. I asked if they had experienced people that come and check my house. They did and my problem was sorted. All their electricians are uni trained.  My problem was that the negative was connected to the earth/ground in the consumer unit.

The electrical engineers may well be degree qualified but I very doubt tradesman electricians have a degree.

11 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

The electrical engineers may well be degree qualified but I very doubt tradesman electricians have a degree.

Shouldn't need one for such simple tasks. Doesn't bode well for the BSc standard if all they can do is perform mundane tasks.

8 hours ago, Rally123 said:

My problem was that the negative was connected to the earth/ground in the consumer unit.

I don't want to worry you. But this is correct for the Thai implementation of MEN.

Removing that connection can have a detrimental effect on safety, particularly if you don't have an RCD/RCBO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alacrity said:

Doesn't indicate that 'ground' is/should also be a bus connection.

Have a look at the diagrams in the thread (the thumbnail in the link chops the image), all that show ground connected show it as a ground bar.

post-45135-0-23261900-1388647418.png

The N-E connection scares many, but what they don't realise is that back home (OK the UK) it's there in many cases (if your supply is TNC-S or PME), just hidden in the service head behind a seal, in Australia and New Zealand it's also in the consumer unit, wired slightly differently but there none the less.

These two leaflets from PEA (so official) show the recommended connections (which will get you past the PEA inspection). Worth a look for the pictures.

groundwire.pdf

Groundwire Mk2 book-Manual.pdf

And the important diagram with translations (the notes in brackets are my clarifications).

Groundwire Mk2 book-Manual-1 diagram.jpg

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Removing that connection can have a detrimental effect on safety, particularly if you don't have an RCD/RCBO.

Before the negative was removed from the earth we'd get shocks when taking a shower and the consumer unit RCBO would periodically trip. It was only after the negative was detached from the earth that the problems stopped and never to return. Strange, but that's exactly what happened.

39 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Before the negative was removed from the earth we'd get shocks when taking a shower and the consumer unit RCBO would periodically trip. It was only after the negative was detached from the earth that the problems stopped and never to return. Strange, but that's exactly what happened.

A photo of your CU with the cover off might help with an explanation to this.  BTW:  the term is "neutral" not "negative".

4 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

A photo of your CU with the cover off might help with an explanation to this.

No problem, will post as soon as I can.

5 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

BTW:  the term is "neutral" not "negative".

Thanks, I'll try to remember.

30 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

A photo of your CU with the cover off might help with an explanation to this.

IMG_20190217_094641.jpg

IMG_20190217_095358.jpg

IMG_20190217_095358_1.jpg

IMG_20190217_095430.jpg