Ground issues/farang electrician

ross163103

2 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

At the time of concreting/tiling I didn't think the copper would corrode, but I read on this forum of another person that found his earth rod corroded while doing some gardening; can't remember exactly but seems like it was REAL short.

That may well have been me ???? 

I never found out what had gone wrong with the original rod, but its replacement seems to be surviving ok (it's in an earth pit where I can inspect it).

Copper-clad steel should last a long time, but maybe a nick in the copper which exposes the steel could cause corrosion issues.

It can't hurt to put in another rod ????

37 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

I put one in years ago--I pounded it into the soil so I know that part is right, but it has since been concreted/tiled over--I know, not a good idea, so I don't know the condition of it. I know that now and will install another one just in case the original has corroded down to nothing. At the time of concreting/tiling I didn't think the copper would corrode, but I read on this forum of another person that found his earth rod corroded while doing some gardening; can't remember exactly but seems like it was REAL short.

Another option is to connect the ground bar to the house steel/rebar.  And you might check the outlets where you are getting the "tingles" - see if ground is to the outlet and to the appliance (3-prong).  If you have class-1 with a Schuko plug you either need a "Schuko to western" adapter (Lazada has them) or replace with 3-prong plug.

On 2/17/2019 at 3:18 PM, bankruatsteve said:

I didn't think the copper would corrode, but I read on this forum of another person that found his earth rod corroded while doing some gardening;

As has been said the cooper plated ones should have a long life. from my experience it is the connection that corrodes. here they use a yellow metal clamp sometimes with a steel bolt and just roughly clamp a piece of copper wire to the rod.

If worried put three rods in a triangle formation. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 16 February 2019 at 12:57 PM, ross163103 said:

I can, but going by your signature I guess you haven't had much luck getting work. Good luck filling up those pockets.

Ha ha.... If you only knew!!

I don't look for work.

Work looks for me.

Pockets definitely empty. Don't need money in my pocket, never need to put my hands in my pockets..... The clients take care of expenses.

Bank balance looking after itself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 7:58 AM, VocalNeal said:

As has been said the cooper plated ones should have a long life. from my experience it is the connection that corrodes. here they use a yellow metal clamp sometimes with a steel bolt and just roughly clamp a piece of copper wire to the rod.

If worried put three rods in a triangle formation. 

Galvanic corrosion is at fault. Iron and copper don't mix. Cheap stuff doesn't cut it.

the copper plating on the rod if a copper plated one has been used is noble as I believe is the yellow clamp. it is the steel bolt that is not or lower on the nobility scale and as such it is the bit that corrodes. 

Quite easy to solder the copper wires using a 200B cigar lighter blow torch.

Archived