Thailand takes steps to improve transport safety for tourists

webfact

4 hours ago, downunder66 said:

Mini-buses are the WORST. Drivers paid to speed from job to job, no seat belts, and freely risking tourist lives and locals on the roads. No police visible on the roads that I saw from Trang to the Malay border in a minivan driven wildly by a 20 year old driver on wet roads some 6 weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Trained, mobile, traffic officers seem absent. The brown and yellow "Highway Police" seem to concentrate on large trucks and buses for whatever reason. I doubt there are many Thai wearing a police costume that have knowledge of how to initiate a traffic stop. Years ago, I learned how to do this at the academy and cringe at their antics.

Of course these transport safety steps will include all the bus drivers having an air brake ticket! (not to mention a commercial drivers license).  

Well they do this in most civilized countries but then they usually have extensive driving exams which one can not buy!

With regard to safety at sea, GPS tourist wristbands, about as stupid as this whole article!

Yea right ???? standards, maintenance ????- you will get couple thousand baht to the deceased, a wai, apology, if your lucky some flowers, that is a lot less work than enforcing, and that’s how it will stay until it’s too late

5 hours ago, webfact said:

First to launch this April will be safety standards for tour buses. Apart from vehicle checks, bus drivers must be trained regarding tour services, have limited driving hours and drive responsibly.

Are they also including training for the drivers on how to quickly run away from the scene of the crash without getting caught, after the bus ends up in a ditch because of "brake failure" or because the driver was speeding and/or on drugs and/or had been driving for who knows how long without any sleep?  :cheesy:

to improve tourist safety standards nationwide

This is funny because it implies that there are actual standards in place that merely need improvement.

My daily quota of internet giggles is now filled, so early in the day too.

If I had to give someone advice about traveling safely to Thailand I would advise them to pay extra and book as close to their destination as possible limiting any travel on roads and even crossing the street.  Inexperienced tourists riding bikes and driving cars or Thais driving like wild animals with total disregard to oncoming vehicles and mostly everyone texting or glancing at their phones (drinking and driving is actually less dangerous it is proven).  It's all a recipe for disaster and their is likely no more dangerous place in the world if spending time on the roads.  My advice is to travel by a big bus and hopefully you will get a good driver.  Avoid minivans or motorbike taxis at your own peril.  Crossing the road is perhaps even as dangerous.

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

If I had to give someone advice about traveling safely to Thailand I would advise them to pay extra and book as close to their destination as possible limiting any travel on roads and even crossing the street.  Inexperienced tourists riding bikes and driving cars or Thais driving like wild animals with total disregard to oncoming vehicles and mostly everyone texting or glancing at their phones (drinking and driving is actually less dangerous it is proven).  It's all a recipe for disaster and their is likely no more dangerous place in the world if spending time on the roads.  My advice is to travel by a big bus and hopefully you will get a good driver.  Avoid minivans or motorbike taxis at your own peril.  Crossing the road is perhaps even as dangerous.

My advice would be: Ask the travelagency if the busdriver has a western driverslicense...if not you tell them to wait untill they have one and are willing to pay extra for it.

Maybe that way the buscompanies understand how important it is to have real good drivers with a real driverslicense from abroad.

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

My advice would be: Ask the travelagency if the busdriver has a western driverslicense...if not you tell them to wait untill they have one and are willing to pay extra for it.

Maybe that way the buscompanies understand how important it is to have real good drivers with a real driverslicense from abroad.

Why would they even consider doing that.  How would their drivers even get western licences, even if they wanted to, which they never will. If you insist on that, better get walking. 

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Why would they even consider doing that.  How would their drivers even get western licences, even if they wanted to, which they never will. If you insist on that, better get walking. 

So they can get western grouptours who are scared to death to sit in a bus driven by a thai driver.

Grouptours from Europe would be oh so happy if they knew their driver was as skilled as the western drivers and pay extra for it.

Do you also have pilotpapers from thailand? 

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

So they can get western grouptours who are scared to death to sit in a bus driven by a thai driver.

Grouptours from Europe would be oh so happy if they knew their driver was as skilled as the western drivers and pay extra for it.

Do you also have pilotpapers from thailand? 

I don't understand this.  How can they ever get the licence, go to the western country?  That's not going to happen. 

I take it that you are referring to pilots licencing.  Thailand does indeed issue its own ICAO authorised licences, under the laws  that govern international aviation.  Not at all the same thing.  

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I don't understand this. 

Ahh a pilot who can't understand it...that's fun.

How can they ever get the licence, go to the western country?  That's not going to happen. 

What about they hire the examinator from the West to come here and do exams??? That;s out of the box innit?

I take it that you are referring to pilots licencing.

No, it was a question and not a hard one....do you also have your pilotpapers from Thailand?

Thailand does indeed issue its own ICAO authorised licences, under the laws  that govern international aviation.  Not at all the same thing.  

Then why can't i understand 1 word of the Thai Air Asia pilots when they fly me out of thailand and keep a long speech through the speakers? Not 1 word!

Is that the ICAO standard???

4 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Ahh a pilot who can't understand it...that's fun.

What about they hire the examinator from the West to come here and do exams??? That;s out of the box innit?

No, it was a question and not a hard one....do you also have your pilotpapers from Thailand?

Then why can't i understand 1 word of the Thai Air Asia pilots when they fly me out of thailand and keep a long speech through the speakers? Not 1 word!

Is that the ICAO standard???

There isn't an emoji for sad and confused, both at the same time.  if so I would use it. 

Archived