"Border buster" shows why Brexit frontier checks in N.Ireland would matter

webfact

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps the people in NI don't want to be "given back to the Southern Irish" and perhaps the "Southern Irish" don't want the Northern Irish either.

I am not in a position to make an informed comment on Irish issues, but what about the Scots? There is a fairly substantial risk of them going their own way and being happy enough to be a vassal state under Brussels. 

The United Kingdom thus ends, leaving us like little Belarus or one of the poorer 'Stans, following the breakup of the USSR.

To add injury to insult, normal life continues in our former bloc with us out in the cold...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, tebee said:

To be fair no one really thought about it at the time.

Maybe we should ask them again?

I think you have a fair point, but when the milk is spilled there's not much you can do anymore.

9 months elapsed before Article 50 was triggered, that should have been enough for some thoughts "at the time". To be fair, I think also in the EU no one thought it through in all aspects, but the trigger was up to the UK.

Ask again: and how to deal with the impending EU elections? Which, btw, I hope will send home some illustrious dinosaurs we have on the EU parliament. How to bring back companies and staff and commerce that have already moved out or are about to?

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

I thought the whole damn thing was control our borders! What are these Epsilons on about?

Exactly. But when reality clashes with ideology Hard Brexiteer electric circuits go into meltdown and total gibberish comes out. They never, not for one moment, considered that there might be a border problem to their West. Their obsession was with the Mainland. Fools then and fools now.

It should not be difficult to understand: if you leave the EU entirely,  then there will need to be a border. The EUs external border needs to be protected (checks on people, goods etc passing through).

If you don't want a border, then you really are going to have to opt for semi EU membership: EEA status like Norway or Switzerland.  But I believe most Brexiteers don't want that either.  They desire sovereignty and border control. Which means there will be a border between Ire and NI. 

8 hours ago, tebee said:

17.4 million people, didn't think about the problems their decisions would cause in NI

if they affirm their choice, fully know all the problems it will cause in NI, then maybe we should ask the people in NI if they still want to be in the same country as them.

That's right banging the EU mantra lets keep asking them until they get the answer we want.

You are right nobody thought of NI as a problem as there isn't one. it is an EU constructed issue to keep the UK in the EU.

How about giving every country in the EU a vote if they would like to stay or leave? I know that answer already.

10 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

A war?

That's nonsense.

If the UK is outside, it's a third state.

That the UK adopts EU quality standards? There are no legal guarantees. The UK has Not enough staff and capacities at the moment to make sure of that. Currently 400 veterinarians are needed additionally

at the border points, only for live cattle.

The UK is already in the situation of not being able to make any reasonable customs clearance. In the past, the UK has massively saved on personnel.

And by the end of march, the UK needs at least an additional 1000+ costums certified people. 

Minimal Trade Risks?

The open border would be a massive hole that would lead to billions in losses.

The problem is that the UK has not given enough thought to the prevalence of Brexit.
A national egoistic idiology meets

international, economic practice here.

Again your focus there is on monetary and 'necessary' operational arrangements. I think peace is higher up on the EU's list of priorities - or at least it should be. 

What is nonsense about a war? Please explain. 

There will be no hard border. 

10 hours ago, tebee said:

17.4 million people, didn't think about the problems their decisions would cause in NI

if they affirm their choice, fully know all the problems it will cause in NI, then maybe we should ask the people in NI if they still want to be in the same country as them.

what dreamed up problems are you talking about ?

it's  a nonsense non issue and quite sinister by its nature, there are solutions were there is a will to deploy them on both sides, it should never have been used as leverage by anyone and the fact it has is disgusting 

2 hours ago, Donutz said:

It should not be difficult to understand: if you leave the EU entirely,  then there will need to be a border. The EUs external border needs to be protected (checks on people, goods etc passing through).

If you don't want a border, then you really are going to have to opt for semi EU membership: EEA status like Norway or Switzerland.  But I believe most Brexiteers don't want that either.  They desire sovereignty and border control. Which means there will be a border between Ire and NI. 

As already proven there are a number of posters who really think otherwise...   

32546-squarewheels.jpg.666cb6ecf466b09cb6c860a2d183cd2d.jpg

2 hours ago, kannot said:

do you  suggest daily  or  weekly  rechecking ?

yes that is exactly what some people want, those that refuse to accept the result we had already.

There could be a more justified case against those that voted remain (I'm not calling for it simply making the point), the EU direction and stability has changed dramatically over the last 2 years both, I am all for free trade with our EU neighbours (original concept) but the political Empire power grab has soured it, it is now being rejected across Europe with increasing support - we jumped first (thank god) and we need to get out fast before we are hit with a hefty bailout bill as the EU project implodes

15 hours ago, soalbundy said:

A lot of firms aren't waiting anymore, 250 firms to go to Holland, not sure if that includes Fords and Nissan, all the banks have ensured that they can still do business in the EU, still the pollution should go down somewhat.

yes makes sense, Ford don't sell any cars In the UK lol

The car industry is going through a massive change right now on many fronts - you can blame Brexit if you want in your tiny little bubble - some of us know different 

I'm surprised you didn't mention Airbus and the A380

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You are right nobody thought of NI as a problem as there isn't one. it is an EU constructed issue to keep the UK in the EU.

Did the EU also construct the border between, say, the US and Mexico or Norway and Sweden? How are they doing it, constructing all those borders where no are?

How about giving every country in the EU a vote if they would like to stay or leave? I know that answer already.

How about letting sovereign states decide themselves whether they want such vote or not?

14 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

If the EU were to install a border the troubles would start again. It would re-start a war. People will die. 

won't happen - people have moved on realising that mass murder or threat therein solves nothing, yes the are a few thick heads running around confused about were their income stream and power went and are trying to get back there but generally terrorism in Ireland is "dead"

13 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Or Britain could do what Paul McCartney urged in a song banned by England in the 1970's.

"Give Ireland back to the Irish" was a big hit on pirate and underground musical outlets.

It is a simple solution to once and for all end all the troubles.

Win/win for everyone.

Britain claims a free trade agreement with what is now the north.

Britain closes the thought of illegal entry to the mainland from Ireland.

And Ireland gets its sovereignty back from British oppression for so many centuries.

Easy. lol Warning - sarcasm alert

Ireland wants its cake - free NHS - free access to UK benefits not to mention jobs and housing - not too many are rushing back to ROI - lived there and its not pretty 

10 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I think if my sarcasm recommendations were acted on, Ireland would become the Irish Republic.

And the northerers would possibly be treated far more humanely than England has treated the Republic. IMHO.

It may happen and to Britains advantage. No more big cost administration for a start. No more troubles, no more army and police presence.

Especially if a trade negotiation deal could be done.

And Irish Republic has always wanted to reunite Ireland.

It may not happen in my life time, but I believe it will happen.

Written by an Aussie of English and Scottish origin who married an Irish lass.

there is probably more support for the ROI to join the UK - what is stopping that ? they pretty much have all the benefits already (as I mentioned before) so right now they have their choice of cake

Question for those posting here from the UK - how many people do you know living in the UK that originated from the Republic of Ireland that predate the EU

9 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

The marching season will end with a United Irish Republic.

It is not relevant anymore, only to the current old age rednecks.

They will fade away after they die.

In Australia, we are being slowly groomed or better word, educated to acknowledge the crimes against the original inhabitants of our great country.

It takes little to acknowledge past injustices.

Then, that is no longer an issue.

We were not a part of the original crimes, But it takes us to acknowledge that there were crimes.

And that we, the current generation want to move on. 

not that long ago (60's) when black people were treated poorly in the US for no good reason - we have all moved on - haven't we ?

9 hours ago, baboon said:

but what about the Scots? There is a fairly substantial risk of them going their own way and being happy enough to be a vassal state under Brussels. 

ha ha, and that is the joke of the century - independent my ass

and the following 10 years paying back their share of UK debt at 10 billion a year - one of the finer points they kept hidden  lol 

Who does Scotland primarily trade with ? and rely on for handouts ? ahem

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I haven’t heard a remainer fighting another referendum. Brexiteers are scared ???? 

Nope - just annoyed at the attempts to circumvent the original referendum.

Personally, I think there should be another referendum on the govt's final 'agreed deal'.......

Accept the govt's deal, or by-pass MPs (remain) desires - and just leave.

Archived