BANGKOK
webfact

"Border buster" shows why Brexit frontier checks in N.Ireland would matter

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps the people in NI don't want to be "given back to the Southern Irish" and perhaps the "Southern Irish" don't want the Northern Irish either.

I am not in a position to make an informed comment on Irish issues, but what about the Scots? There is a fairly substantial risk of them going their own way and being happy enough to be a vassal state under Brussels. 

The United Kingdom thus ends, leaving us like little Belarus or one of the poorer 'Stans, following the breakup of the USSR.

To add injury to insult, normal life continues in our former bloc with us out in the cold...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tebee said:

To be fair no one really thought about it at the time.

Maybe we should ask them again?

I think you have a fair point, but when the milk is spilled there's not much you can do anymore.

9 months elapsed before Article 50 was triggered, that should have been enough for some thoughts "at the time". To be fair, I think also in the EU no one thought it through in all aspects, but the trigger was up to the UK.

Ask again: and how to deal with the impending EU elections? Which, btw, I hope will send home some illustrious dinosaurs we have on the EU parliament. How to bring back companies and staff and commerce that have already moved out or are about to?

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

I thought the whole damn thing was control our borders! What are these Epsilons on about?

Exactly. But when reality clashes with ideology Hard Brexiteer electric circuits go into meltdown and total gibberish comes out. They never, not for one moment, considered that there might be a border problem to their West. Their obsession was with the Mainland. Fools then and fools now.

• Thanks 1

It should not be difficult to understand: if you leave the EU entirely,  then there will need to be a border. The EUs external border needs to be protected (checks on people, goods etc passing through).

If you don't want a border, then you really are going to have to opt for semi EU membership: EEA status like Norway or Switzerland.  But I believe most Brexiteers don't want that either.  They desire sovereignty and border control. Which means there will be a border between Ire and NI. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donutz said:

It should not be difficult to understand: if you leave the EU entirely,  then there will need to be a border. The EUs external border needs to be protected (checks on people, goods etc passing through).

If you don't want a border, then you really are going to have to opt for semi EU membership: EEA status like Norway or Switzerland.  But I believe most Brexiteers don't want that either.  They desire sovereignty and border control. Which means there will be a border between Ire and NI. 

As already proven there are a number of posters who really think otherwise...   

32546-squarewheels.jpg.666cb6ecf466b09cb6c860a2d183cd2d.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Donutz said:

It should not be difficult to understand: if you leave the EU entirely,  then there will need to be a border.

there is a border already

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mavideol said:

SORRYYYY       THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE POSTED FOR THE OP WHO IS HAVING STOMACH PROBLEMS .....pushed the wrong button

there are many on this thread pushing wrong buttons and making no sense lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You are right nobody thought of NI as a problem as there isn't one. it is an EU constructed issue to keep the UK in the EU.

Did the EU also construct the border between, say, the US and Mexico or Norway and Sweden? How are they doing it, constructing all those borders where no are?

How about giving every country in the EU a vote if they would like to stay or leave? I know that answer already.

How about letting sovereign states decide themselves whether they want such vote or not?

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

14 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

If the EU were to install a border the troubles would start again. It would re-start a war. People will die. 

won't happen - people have moved on realising that mass murder or threat therein solves nothing, yes the are a few thick heads running around confused about were their income stream and power went and are trying to get back there but generally terrorism in Ireland is "dead"

• Like 2