Customs tariff for importing a racing bicycle: HS codes & anticipated tariff

CangguSurfer

Trying to figure out whether to purchase a racing bicycle from US and have it shipped here or not.  Not sure if I am using correct HS codes.  Computing tariff and VAT is VERY confusing and I am getting conflicting information from Thai customs website (what else is new).

Can somebody confirm these HS Codes are correct?:

Bicycle: 87120010

Cycling GPS: 95069190

One tariff calculator I used (based on these codes, calculated duty and VAT as follows:

For bicycle:  22.75% duty / VAT 7%

For GPS computer: 10% duty / 7% VAT

Does this sound correct?  If it is I am better off flying back to the States and bringing it back to avoid tariff entirely since round trip ticket would be less.

Beware I imported a tent & the sender declared value at $200 Aus....Although it cost more....The packaging wasn't big, flashy, or heavy.....

I was charged either 6,000 or 7,000B....Which was well over 2/3 of the declared value....I wondered if they had bar code readers hooked up to a world wide data pricing application.....

I imagine a fancy expensive bike could draw some scutiny + customs duties to match.....

I wasn't a happy camper....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

There are other calculators fro cross reference in the Post Office topic pinned at the top of this forum.

I would add that in addition to any known calculator, you also have to allow for "who it is on the day" as is so often the norm with many things in Thailand, this aspect can have huge implications/or not, depending on who you get. ????

Base your decision on the worst, and hope for the best is about all you can do. Take an informed "gamble"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

There are other calculators fro cross reference in the Post Office topic pinned at the top of this forum.

I would add that in addition to any known calculator, you also have to allow for "who it is on the day" as is so often the norm with many things in Thailand, this aspect can have huge implications/or not, depending on who you get. ????

Base your decision on the worst, and hope for the best is about all you can do. Take an informed "gamble"

I agree; plan for the worst, however I'm not prepared to take a gamble considering that the tariff could potentially be much more than the cost of a round trip ticket to pick up the bike in person.  I'd much rather pay for a r/t ticket and get a mini-vacation than line the pocket of corrupt Thai customs officials.  My apology to honest Thai Customs agents out there.  I am sure they exist, but my past experiences have been to the contrary.

I am just trying to pin down a reliable number for anticipated tariff, so  CAN ANYONE CONFIRM I AM USING CORRECT HS CODES? Then I can make an informed decision.

Edited by CangguSurfer
  • Like 1