March 1st Retirement extension Policy – Should I go early

My 1 year extension of stay ( based on retirement ) is due on the 26 of March 2019 - My next 90 day report is due on the 8 of March .

I have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank that’s been deposited for many years and it never goes below 800,000 Baht . I have used a bank statement in all of my past 1 year extension renewal applications without any problems.

I am wondering if its now better to apply for my coming 1 year extension of stay early , say on the the 25 of February , which would be 28 days in advance.

If I leave my application until the 26 of march the new retirement policy rules will be in effect , and I’m not sure what that means in the way of me providing any new paperwork / bank statements on any subsequent 90 day report that complies with the keeping of 800K in my Thai bank 3 month after the application

The other area I'm not sure about is this part  - You can then withdraw up to 400K, but must leave a remaining balance of 400K throughout the year ( does that mean I have to show a bank statement every 90 days when reporting ? )

So it sounds if I can do my new 1 year extension of stay ( based on retirement ) before the first of March , it will be less hassle for one year .

Have I got this right or am I missing some thing

Thanks .

The initial document stated (I think) "applies to extensions issued after 1st March." 

So extensions issued before this date are not affected. But if the IO says the new rules apply now we all know who will win.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Bite the bullet more like! He can apply 45 days ahead, waiting just prolongs the misery, get it over and done with as soon as you feel well enough to stomach it.

On the other hand going early opens you up to delaying tactics and possible extra bits n pieces from certain IO,s if your app is not as straight forward as this OP is. “You need this extra,come back next week”

• Like 1

Most offices WILL let you do your " extension  of stay based on xxxxxxx" 30 to 45 days early with NO loss of days.  I always do mine at least 30 days early - if any problems I have 30 days to fix the problem.  A friend of mine was required to show a rental agreement - had to return to IO next day, I have no idea why, before he could renew - he had 2 days left so he barely made it on time.  I ALWAYS take ALL my immigration paperwork, bank book and rental lease EVERY time I go to a IO office so I can produce just about anything asked for - for any reason.

• Like 1

It will as always come down how different offices or IO's interpret the new regs.I went early as I have always done and should be under the old regs if you take a literal reading but there are no guarantees probably best to maintain 800k if possible..

14 hours ago, notamember said:

Do it early

dodge the bullet

Not if the OP was doing it at Phetchabun. I did mine last Tuesday for a 7 March extension and was told that the 3 months seasoning started on the day of application. Some IO have adopted the new rules already.

27 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Not if the OP was doing it at Phetchabun. I did mine last Tuesday for a 7 March extension and was told that the 3 months seasoning started on the day of application. Some IO have adopted the new rules already.

The OP would not have a seasoning issue since he has already seasoned it for years.  How did what you were told effect your application?

39 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Agreed, I heard someone, Chiang Rai, being told he had to keep the 800,000 for the 3 months after the extension had been granted. Despite doing it early February and it being due 28th.

27 minutes ago, Olmate said:

He’s meaning 3 months after application I think!

I would have thought that the meaning of "seasoning" is before the application date to show that someone didn't just put in the same day.  I not sure what the money after the application is called but calling it seasoning doesn't sound right.  Like, do people season their food after they eat it.

1 minute ago, AAArdvark said:

I would have thought that the meaning of "seasoning" is before the application date to show that someone didn't just put in the same day.  I not sure what the money after the application is called but calling it seasoning doesn't sound right.  Like, do people season their food after they eat it.

Sorry, thought you were asking a serious question, guess you got all the answers

A big thanks to every one for your comments and help Its appreciated ????

Well it looks like I have the following options / possible problems

1. I go on the appointed date of the 26 of March and have to comply

with the new regulations relating to keeping 800K for 3 months after

the application and also comply with the new regulation relating to

keeping a remaining bank balance of 400K for the rest of the year after

the application

2. Contact the immigration office where I will be applying for my

next 1 years retirement extension based on a bank balance of 800K

and ask the IO, if I go early before the 1 st of march will the new regulations

still apply to my early application .

3. If I am told NO  the new regulations will not apply to my early application then I go and apply on the 25 of February .

4. I arrive early for my application on the 25 of February

only to be told by a different IO that although its not yet

March the 1 st , my early application still comes under the

new 1 st of March regulation.

May be as I don’t intend to withdraw any money from my Thai bank account that I use for the 800K requirement after the retirement extension application has been submitted , it could be less hassle just to go on the appointed date , even though it may mean that ( yet unknown ) I may have to produce extra paperwork / bank statements at some future time during the granted 1 year period  -  I’m still not sure .????

I have always done my extension of stay 1 month before it expires as the IMO told me many years ago that you can renew the visa 1 month in advance I only got turned a way once as they were to busy on the day I went . It would be interesting to know how you got on maybe you can do another post as a follow up to your experience .

On 2/14/2019 at 7:41 AM, MrScratch said:

My 1 year extension of stay ( based on retirement ) is due on the 26 of March 2019 - My next 90 day report is due on the 8 of March .

I have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank that’s been deposited for many years and it never goes below 800,000 Baht . I have used a bank statement in all of my past 1 year extension renewal applications without any problems.

I am wondering if its now better to apply for my coming 1 year extension of stay early , say on the the 25 of February , which would be 28 days in advance.

It doesn’t make any difference. Regardless of when you apply your next extension will start on March 26th

On 2/14/2019 at 7:41 AM, MrScratch said:

If I leave my application until the 26 of march the new retirement policy rules will be in effect , and I’m not sure what that means in the way of me providing any new paperwork / bank statements on any subsequent 90 day report that complies with the keeping of 800K in my Thai bank 3 month after the application

After March 1st you’ll need to comply with the new application requirements, which are no different for you.

As your next extension starts after March 1st you are going to have to comply with the new rules for the next year to qualify for an extension next year. As you don’t touch the 800K that’s not an issue for you.

But if you do want to withdraw funds after March 1st you’re going to have to comply with the new minimum balances regardless of when you apply now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I have always done my extension of stay 1 month before it expires as the IMO told me many years ago that you can renew the visa 1 month in advance I only got turned a way once as they were to busy on the day I went . It would be interesting to know how you got on maybe you can do another post as a follow up to your experience .

I will post back on how every thing goes ????

39 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It doesn’t make any difference. Regardless of when you apply your next extension will start on March 26th

After March 1st you’ll need to comply with the new application requirements, which are no different for you.

As your next extension starts after March 1st you are going to have to comply with the new rules for the next year to qualify for an extension next year. As you don’t touch the 800K that’s not an issue for you.

But if you do want to withdraw funds after March 1st you’re going to have to comply with the new minimum balances regardless of when you apply now.

Thanks for the advice , So really then there’s no point in going early to apply for my extension .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dick turpin said:

It does not matter if you go early your extension will still be dated until 26 March 2020, so will be within the new regs. General consensus is your bank account will be checked at the next renewal, nothing to do with 90-day reports.  

Did mine early and no mention of anything so it cant.OP should do it as early as possible

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

I wasnt told I cant touch my funds ...ext expires March 21st already done till 2020

51 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I wasnt told I cant touch my funds ...ext expires March 21st already done till 2020

Maybe so; but if I were you I would follow the new rules and keep the minimum balances. Offices are going to have discretion over the next year or so, but that discretion might not always work in our favour.