Airbus to scrap A380 superjumbo production as sales slump

webfact

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

I liked the DC10 very much

That was before they let peasants fly and price was everything!

I still dress properly for a flight ????

Great aircraft, later re-labeled MD11.... I grew up about 10 miles from the Douglas plant in Long Beach where it was built.

My first flight was a Delta L1011 from Orlando to Los Angeles, and it cost over $800...

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

a really great aircraft but it's downfall like with Concord it is not made by Boeing, and the world is not a level playing field, easy to spot the American posters on this topic. 

It is easy to spot because Boeing is doing all the right moves. The shares I hold speak for themselves. Boeing is a very well run company on the forefront of technological advancements and in an industry that has an almost impossible bar to enter. They did record numbers of plane sales this year. There is literally nothing to not like about them at the moment.

I don't think you have to be American to realize this. 

4 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

It is easy to spot because Boeing is doing all the right moves. The shares I hold speak for themselves. Boeing is a very well run company on the forefront of technological advancements and in an industry that has an almost impossible bar to enter. They did record numbers of plane sales this year. There is literally nothing to not like about them at the moment.

While Airbus is hemorrhaging money on every A380 they sell...

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

No A380 anymore doesn't mean that we can't fly with it anymore: she can fly about 30 years more , and Airbus is not finished: 890 aircrafts to build in 2019 ( a220, a320, a330 neo and A350 ) 

Have fun paying for very expensive replacement parts. Airbus will never be able to leverage scale of economy now that it is scrapped. It's going to be a bit like finding parts for your Studebaker Hawk. I don't know maybe there will be enough parts from airlines going out of business trying to continue flying these things selling their planes when they go into restructuring as a result of bankruptcy

Airports are not going to put one single penny into accommodating this aircraft anymore. I didn't mind flying on the A380 but it's on life support and it's going to get the plug pulled. Only airlines that simply can not afford to replace them will operate it incurring tremendous losses with no new routes to add. Any business that runs these things because of some sense of nostalgia is going to hurt very badly.

The new Boeings with longer foldable wings will be so fuel efficient and can fly long haul with no transfers. Maybe a handful of mideast countries can make the A380 work into the future. 

Airbus isn't finished they are the very clear underdog however. 

I feel you are American ???? yes, Boeing is very good, in the past I have travelled  one time in a Boeing 777 and was very impressed, but, you know, I am European, so I hope Airbus will fly many many years more, they have proved that they can build wonderful planes like  the A380

3 hours ago, Aforek said:

I feel you are American ???? yes, Boeing is very good, in the past I have travelled  one time in a Boeing 777 and was very impressed, but, you know, I am European, so I hope Airbus will fly many many years more, they have proved that they can build wonderful planes like  the A380

I hope they both survive competition is always best for the consumer. The world needs airbus to make crappy planes so cheapskates can still fly. ???? I am just teasing so please no hate mail.

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

They built 386 of them, they went out of production in 1988, and there are still 140 in operation so they couldn't have been that bad...

Once they got all the issues sorted out not a bad plane. I think FEDEX or someone like that has a bunch of them. 

Both the 4 engine aircraft Airbus built, A340/A380, cost the company dearly and have both been expensive disasters.

To sell less than 400 units of each aircraft is not a profit making production line. Now both aircraft are out of production. 

The only 4 engined commercial jet in production into the future is the B747-8, mainly freighter versions.  

On 2/14/2019 at 11:03 PM, Cryingdick said:

The A380 was one of the dumbest corporate blunders in history. 

Had Airbus not been under government control the A380 wouldn't have taken off. The main initiator of the program was the small d**k syndrome of some European rulers. And then, of course, the engineers liked the challenge. Extensive market research on the hub vs point to point strategies was freely available and the decision makers chose to ignore it.

In many ways A380 is another Concorde. On the bright side the Concorde venture lead to the birth of Airbus..

12 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Airbus Soars to Record High After Q4 Earnings Beat, A380 Program Closure

Airbus SE  (EADSY) shares traded at an all-time high Thursday after the Franco-German planemaker and key Boeing Co. (BA - Get Report) rival posted stronger-than-expected fourth quarter earnings, issued a robust 2019 outlook for aircraft deliveries and said it would formally scrap it struggling A380 jumbo jet program. 

Airbus said adjusted operating profits for the three months ending in December rose 56% from the same period last year to €3.1 billion as revenues jumped 11% to €23.286 billion, both of which firmly topped analysts' forecasts. Airbus said it sees overall deliveries rising as much as 11.25% this year to around 890 aircraft, and plans to boost production of its narrow-body A320 to 60 per month by the middle of this year.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/earnings/airbus-soars-to-record-high-after-q4-earnings-beat-a380-program-closure-14866432

40 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Airbus SE  (EADSY) shares traded at an all-time high Thursday after the Franco-German planemaker and key Boeing Co. (BA - Get Report) rival posted stronger-than-expected fourth quarter earnings, issued a robust 2019 outlook for aircraft deliveries and said it would formally scrap it struggling A380 jumbo jet program. 

Airbus said adjusted operating profits for the three months ending in December rose 56% from the same period last year to €3.1 billion as revenues jumped 11% to €23.286 billion, both of which firmly topped analysts' forecasts. Airbus said it sees overall deliveries rising as much as 11.25% this year to around 890 aircraft, and plans to boost production of its narrow-body A320 to 60 per month by the middle of this year.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/earnings/airbus-soars-to-record-high-after-q4-earnings-beat-a380-program-closure-14866432

Capture.JPG

I'm sure Aibus will be fine and dropping the 380 made great business sense, you just can't continue losing so much money.

The 380 is a fine aircraft, will continue to be supported and should easily be around for another 20-30 years.

Parts and service is a huge revenue stream for commercial aircraft builders and the 380 program could well turn into a nice profit center for Airbus.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:36 AM, Yellowtail said:

The 380 is a fine aircraft, will continue to be supported and should easily be around for another 20-30 years.

Parts and service is a huge revenue stream for commercial aircraft builders and the 380 program could well turn into a nice profit center for Airbus.

May be not according to this article

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/airbus-a380-superjumbos-are-already-being-scrapped/news-story/59f355699dd5a742704ec445660ea160

A380.jpg.ac5c60b679f24fddda35c03ab02b7e2a.jpg

Two Airbus A380 superjumbos languish in a field next to Tarbes airport in France.

53 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Honda is closing a small diesel powered car making factory in England. Blame Brexit

Airbus is cancelling a dud plane. Blame Brexit

You might be able to make a Brexit argument for Honda (I doubt you can) but there is no argument that cancelation of A380 program is a result of Brexit.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:48 PM, bristolboy said:

I never said Airbus was dying or anything just that Boeing is a company that is superbly managed and is also soaring to record highs. You really must comment on every word I type here just because you can't seem to help yourself. I merely said the A380 was a huge blunder and that Boeing had made all the right moves and that is true.

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2019-01-08-Boeing-Sets-New-Airplane-Delivery-Records-Expands-Order-Backlog

I would gladly trade you one share of Airbus for every share of Boeing you care to give me.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:29 PM, Yellowtail said:

Capture.JPG

A quick glance at that chart also shows you that Boeing has been tested twice in recent lows. That was when the Lion Air crash happened. This chart definitely leans on the favor of Boeing to continue to rise as compared to Airbus. Airbus is just beginning to test it's recent all time high and will most likely go up and down while the stock consolidates. Boeing was tested and is in a break out now above the 200 day moving average. 

Of course the larger market in Europe isn't great so you can't really fault Airbus as they are achieving great results in the wasteland of the European economy.

Archived