Chinese tourist rescued after a diving incident at Koh Racha

webfact

Chinese tourist rescued after a diving incident at Koh Racha

By The Thaiger

52029313_2417156544983831_30114699637319

PHOTOS: Go-Eco Phuket

A male Chinese tourist is currently in a satisfactory condition in hospital after a diving accident off Koh Racha Yai, south west of Phuket, yesterday.

Go-Eco Phuket, a local conversational group, reported that they were notified of the incident at about noon.

“The male Chinese tourist bought a diving course from a diving operator on the island. A diving regulator slipped off whilst they were training underwater. It appears that they have brought the tourist up from underwater too quick. It was alleged that the Buoyancy Control Device (BCD) was also not working properly.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/chinese-tourist-rescued-after-a-diving-incident-at-koh-racha

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-02-14

Any proper diving course eg PADI, as I did years ago on Ko Samui would start with a minimum of 2 - 3 days in a pool for training and establishment of minimum swimming requirements under water, one length without breathing equipment. They also teach you how to check equipment before you dive.

Seems that now they are fast tracking tourists without proper training, the Thai way. Result - incidents and casualties like this. Welcome to the Land of Smiles and Carelessness.

43 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

47 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Any proper diving course eg PADI, as I did years ago on Ko Samui would start with a minimum of 2 - 3 days in a pool for training and establishment of minimum swimming requirements under water, one length without breathing equipment. 

PADI allows initial training in a pool or pool like conditions, in other words the sea, providing it’s calm and shallow. It would have been useful to know what depth he ascended from.

Also, unless there’s been a drastic change since I was teaching, you are never required to swim under water without your regulator in.

The poor guy obviously panicked, seen it hundreds of times, usually during the ‘mask off’ exercise, but also the ‘regulator out (while stationary) exercise. I doubt that the BCD was a contributing factor - the panicked student, understandably, just wants to get to the surface at any cost. In this case, he must have forgotten to breathe out while ascending, hence the embolism.

I hope he hasn’t suffered any lasting damage.

23 hours ago, inThailand said:

This almost daily rescuing Chinese from Thai titanic boats and diving mishaps should help tourism. Falangs may start looking good again. 

Unfortunately even though the average farang would spend far more, the sheer weight of numbers means the greedy dimwits will see quantity far outweighing quality...

14 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Unfortunately even though the average farang would spend far more, the sheer weight of numbers means the greedy dimwits will see quantity far outweighing quality...

Yes, all three types of wits here...males, females and katoys. Dimwits, nitwits and half wits. 

Archived