Alcohol sales prohibited on Makha Bucha Day

snoop1130

Alcohol sales prohibited on Makha Bucha Day

By The Phuket News

1550141599_1-org.jpg

Devout Buddhists taking part in the Makha Bucha candle procession. Photo: John Shedrick

PHUKET:-- All government offices will be closed this coming Tuesday (Feb 19) as Thais all across the country celebrate Makha Bucha day. The sale of alcohol is banned by law on this day.

Makha Bucha is a Buddhist holiday which takes place annually on the night of the full moon during the third lunar month of the year.

The event marks the anniversary of the Buddha’s first major sermon. On the full moon of the third lunar month, seven months after the Lord Buddha began his teachings when 1,250 monks came together, with no prior arrangement to hear Buddha preach, Buddha ordained these monks and passed to them the basic principles of Buddhism: to eschew all evil, to do only what is good, and to cleanse the mind, along with other teachings which marked a key event in the development of the religion.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/alcohol-sales-prohibited-on-makha-bucha-day-70387.php#eflF0SCvOQ7VWJBv.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-02-14

For some, days like these are the highlight of the year. They allow them to mount their high horse and feel better than everyone else.

So get ready for the "if ya can't go without for a day" brigade

And before you allow your pomposity to run wild, I rarely drink (But go for it when I do)

13 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I won’t be refraining from drinking this holiday, but I shall refrain from any form of corruption. And not just for this holiday, for every day of the year. 

Aren’t I a good atheist....

I see your point. These celebrations of the faithful unfortunately are ignored by those who pick and choose which tenants they adhere to.

Hotels always sell beer. Sure it is more expensive but it depends how badly you need one or how bored you are.

As has been said this is a non-thread as it happens every year and there are ways around the ban on purchasing. As have been stated in preceding posts.

If you have and are well known at your "local" and they have an electronic register just but your beers on Monday and consume on Tuesday. I have done this before for a group of 20 or so...

13 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Anyone who wants or needs a drink at home will have purchased their booze before the holy day.

Bloody good idea....good to see there are intelligent users on this forum.????   

RIP Anthony Bourdain but I loved his saying 

“ your body is not a temple. it is an amusement ride so enjoy the journey.” We are here for a short time and then poof -gone and eventually forgotten. Enjoy your life and let others do the same. ????

36 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Blanket ban on beer because of a Buddhist holiday in a country that is supposedly open to all. The hypocrisy. The real reason for these bans is because they don't want the locals to gather round, have a few bevies and then start talking about the problems in the country. That's my view.

This is not limited to LOS.  Happens in Banana Republics as well.

33 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

Immigration in Jomtien will be closed tuesday the 18th, but will they also close monday the 17th ?

Double fault.

Tuesday is the 19th, Makha Bucha holiday.

And NO: Monday 18th is not an extra holiday.

Open on Monday 18th.

I've never understood why it's necessary to impose the no alcohol ban on a religious day. To my way of thinking, if you adhere to a particular religion then surely your own depth of faith will let you decide whether or not to observe the day by abstaining? Any religion that finds it necessary to issue legal edicts in an effort to enforce their will on others rather than rely on the faith of their followers is a weak one in my opinion.

I know several Thai people who like to drink but happily go through the three month Budhist version of Lent without touching a drop. They don't need to be ordered to, they do it by choice. 

Archived