Alcohol sales prohibited on Makha Bucha Day

snoop1130

Hotels always sell beer. Sure it is more expensive but it depends how badly you need one or how bored you are.
As has been said this is a non-thread as it happens every year and there are ways around the ban on purchasing. As have been stated in preceding posts.
If you have and are well known at your "local" and they have an electronic register just but your beers on Monday and consume on Tuesday. I have done this before for a group of 20 or so...
Not the Pullman Raja Orchid Hotel in Khon Kaen. No alcohol served, even with meals on previous Buddhist days.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

I really don't care about all this "oh...you can't be without alcohol for one day" or "why don't you just stock up on booze, the day before"- nonsense!

This is not what MY criticism is about!

It is about religious zealots, who can impose their silly believes on me!

On people, who break every rule of their silly believes, left and right, whenever they can, but become holier -than- thou' on "official" Buddhist- days and get to set the "moral standards" for everybody!

And before I am accused of Thai- bashing or asked to "go home if you don't like it here"...I hate the religious BS in my home -country (no football or fun or whatever on Good Friday) as much!

On 2/14/2019 at 7:31 PM, snoop1130 said:

All government offices will be closed this coming Tuesday (Feb 19) as Thais all across the country celebrate Makha Bucha day. The sale of alcohol is banned by law on this day.

There's a glaring contradiction here. If they added 'get drunk to' before celebrate it would ring true.:burp:

10 hours ago, DM07 said:

I really don't care about all this "oh...you can't be without alcohol for one day" or "why don't you just stock up on booze, the day before"- nonsense!

This is not what MY criticism is about!

It is about religious zealots, who can impose their silly believes on me!

On people, who break every rule of their silly believes, left and right, whenever they can, but become holier -than- thou' on "official" Buddhist- days and get to set the "moral standards" for everybody!

And before I am accused of Thai- bashing or asked to "go home if you don't like it here"...I hate the religious BS in my home -country (no football or fun or whatever on Good Friday) as much!

Jeezus mate, have a beer and calm down. Its only one day.

A lot of Udon Thani and Nong Khai residents will be crossing into Laos, an equally Buddhist country - as there alcohol is sold, as in Myanmar and Cambodia.

This "no booze" law is another game by the powers-to-be to keep the simple man submerged by the almighty powers. Needless to say, the simple man covers eventual needs prior to the day so the only one out to catch is the holiday making alien in the tourist resorts of the Kingdom. Go figure who is at the shorter end of the stick - in the long run. Pathetic! 

On 2/15/2019 at 8:57 AM, Benmart said:

I see your point. These celebrations of the faithful unfortunately are ignored by those who pick and choose which tenants they adhere to.

I always pick and choose to adhere to the female tenants myself, but each to their own.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:31 PM, snoop1130 said:

Buddha ordained these monks and passed to them the basic principles of Buddhism: to eschew all evil, to do only what is good, and to cleanse the mind....:-

and not to drink alcohol for a day but forgot to mention the 3 dangerous chemicals spray on crops in Thailand that's going on for another 2 years.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:38 AM, emptypockets said:

Jeezus mate, have a beer and calm down. Its only one day.

Oh...sorry!

I didn't realize, you landed here yesterday!

Because it is NOT only one day!

Get a calendar and start counting!

And after you finished that, add some more days for elections, Songkhran and other stuff!

Have a nice day!

Talk about going through the motions! 

Being a Thai Buddhist is sort of like being a Catholic: as long as you attend mass on Sunday and go to confession, you’re free to get sh*t faced the rest of the week.

Am I missing something here but this is hardly “news”. Back in the day ie 1999 in Patong one used to get away with sitting in a bar with a ceramic mug of beer ....... sorry; tea. 

I fear the erection may bring two or three days of dryness, certainly the night before. 

Archived