Neen oil/spray

djayz

Hi guys. I vaguely recall seeing a telephone number for a guy in Bangkok who sells neem oil/spray but I can't for the life of me find it again. 

Do any of you guys have the tel. number? Remember which thread it was posted in? 

I want to spray some plants and would like to try neem. 

Thanks in advance. 

Neem oil is Nam-Man-Sadow,น้ัามันสะเดา in Thai, try nanagaraden.com, or as this is Thailand, get her indoors to try on Facebook, you might find it in a local shop.

They use to be a guy in Packchon, not so far from you,  use to make the stuff, I have  no contact number, try on Google, if he is still going  

20 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Neem oil is Nam-Man-Sadow,น้ัามันสะเดา in Thai, try nanagaraden.com, or as this is Thailand, get her indoors to try on Facebook, you might find it in a local shop.

They use to be a guy in Packchon, not so far from you,  use to make the stuff, I have  no contact number, try on Google, if he is still going  

Thanks kickstart. Much appreciate the info. 

Kickstart always has good tips for product sourcing and equipment.

I might add: This product is available online and on the shelf in Chiang Mai ag shops, not sure about Korat.

https://www.thaineem.co.th/product/17/thai-neem-no-111-neem-seed-extract-1000-cc

it's only 0.1% azadirachtin, but may be adequate for preventive protection without a heavy infestation in progress. 

I used to buy a different, higher % aza product from India that was on the shelf at Limsakdakul in Chiang Mai. 

Neem oil is a different thing and can be used for prevention of some fungal pathogens as well as arthropod pests, whereas azadirachtin concentrate products are pest preventive only and not fungicidal. I have not found neem oil products in Thailand. If you do please let me know.

Be aware that many people get disappointed in "trying" neem products, because they expect it to perform as a substitute for chemical insecticides, use it once and think it doesn't work. It's a totally different approach and is most effective as one component in a comprehensive plant health care and IPM program. 

Even though neem products are classed as a "...cide", they are not so much a killer as they are a repellent, reproductive disruptor and anti-feedant. And they have short residual effectiveness compared to hard chemistry insecticides like pyrethroids and neonicotinoids. and nastier old generation products that only need one or two applications for knock down.  Aza needs to be repeat sprayed every two weeks for prevention during a susceptible period, or even shorter intervals at least weekly to get any kind of active infestation under control.  Therefore you really have to be committed to organic program and willing and able to afford the time and expense of this method. 

From my experience neem products are very effective as a component of intelligent plant management. If you really know your plants and what pests they are susceptible to getting infested with each year, and use the product proactively by getting the repellant action in place early and not waiting until you are dealing with an active infestation.  Biopesticides are useful and effective if used along with good soil fertility building and avoiding high NPK fertilizers that create susceptible conditions, and good water management, compatible plantings that require similar growing conditions, companion plantings, mulching, mineral and biological amendments, and enhancing of soil biology health.  These factors help build plant resistance to disease and pests and therefore reduce the need for pest control. 

1 hour ago, drtreelove said:

Kickstart always has good tips for product sourcing and equipment.

I might add: This product is available online and on the shelf in Chiang Mai ag shops, not sure about Korat.

https://www.thaineem.co.th/product/17/thai-neem-no-111-neem-seed-extract-1000-cc

it's only 0.1% azadirachtin, but may be adequate for preventive protection without a heavy infestation in progress. 

I used to buy a different, higher % aza product from India that was on the shelf at Limsakdakul in Chiang Mai. 

Neem oil is a different thing and can be used for prevention of some fungal pathogens as well as arthropod pests, whereas azadirachtin concentrate products are pest preventive only and not fungicidal. I have not found neem oil products in Thailand. If you do please let me know.

Be aware that many people get disappointed in "trying" neem products, because they expect it to perform as a substitute for chemical insecticides, use it once and think it doesn't work. It's a totally different approach and is most effective as one component in a comprehensive plant health care and IPM program. 

Even though neem products are classed as a "...cide", they are not so much a killer as they are a repellent, reproductive disruptor and anti-feedant. And they have short residual effectiveness compared to hard chemistry insecticides like pyrethroids and neonicotinoids. and nastier old generation products that only need one or two applications for knock down.  Aza needs to be repeat sprayed every two weeks for prevention during a susceptible period, or even shorter intervals at least weekly to get any kind of active infestation under control.  Therefore you really have to be committed to organic program and willing and able to afford the time and expense of this method. 

From my experience neem products are very effective as a component of intelligent plant management. If you really know your plants and what pests they are susceptible to getting infested with each year, and use the product proactively by getting the repellant action in place early and not waiting until you are dealing with an active infestation.  Biopesticides are useful and effective if used along with good soil fertility building and avoiding high NPK fertilizers that create susceptible conditions, and good water management, compatible plantings that require similar growing conditions, companion plantings, mulching, mineral and biological amendments, and enhancing of soil biology health.  These factors help build plant resistance to disease and pests and therefore reduce the need for pest control. 

It's always a pleasure reading your contributions Dr. Truelove. 

I'm trying to keep everything as organic as possible and absolutely abhor the use of hard chemical insecticides. With time I hope to build up the soil fertility using composting, mulching, etc. 

To cut a long story short, I have a few citrus and avocado trees which I want to protect. Neem oil/spray was recommended. 

Thanks again for the very detailed and informative reply. 

@djayz. Hello mate. I think this is what you are after. Now the bad news, just phoned the Bangkok number and they don't stock it anymore due to lack of demand. Dr Treelove's online link is going to be your best bet. I'll be checking out the link too, mine's just about run out.

I don't understand why this stuff is not widely used here but farmers seem to like their chemicals more. Even Gen Pryut mentioned using neem on his friday show the other week. Education I suppose?

IMG20190215081924.jpg

4 minutes ago, grollies said:

@djayz. Hello mate. I think this is what you are after. Now the bad news, just phoned the Bangkok number and they don't stock it anymore due to lack of demand. Dr Treelove's online link is going to be your best bet. I'll be checking out the link too, mine's just about run out.

I don't understand why this stuff is not widely used here but farmers seem to like their chemicals more. Even Gen Pryut mentioned using neem on his friday show the other week. Education I suppose?

IMG20190215081924.jpg

Thanks Grollies!

Would you mind giving me the BKK tel. no.? I know you said they don't stock it any more, but if enough people enquire about it, maybe they'll realise that there's a demand for it. 

20 minutes ago, djayz said:

Thanks Grollies!

Would you mind giving me the BKK tel. no.? I know you said they don't stock it any more, but if enough people enquire about it, maybe they'll realise that there's a demand for it. 

02-563-1050 or 02-563-1043

16 hours ago, djayz said:

It's always a pleasure reading your contributions Dr. Truelove. 

I'm trying to keep everything as organic as possible and absolutely abhor the use of hard chemical insecticides. With time I hope to build up the soil fertility using composting, mulching, etc. 

To cut a long story short, I have a few citrus and avocado trees which I want to protect. Neem oil/spray was recommended. 

Thanks again for the very detailed and informative reply. 

TV's Cooked has written about wood vinegar a few times, and I think it more readily available than Neem Oil.

But, not certain if it has the same effect ? my neighbor used it on some melons to some effect, brought it locally too. 

2 hours ago, kickstart said:

TV's Cooked has written about wood vinegar a few times, and I think it more readily available than Neem Oil.

But, not certain if it has the same effect ? my neighbor used it on some melons to some effect, brought it locally too. 

Yes thanks for reminding me about Cooked's wood vinegar recommendation. I haven't use it myself but a Thai organic gardener I know in Mae Taeng north of Chiang Mai makes a bio-pesticide home brew with wood vinegar and ta-kite (lemongrass) steeped for a couple of weeks, for his lettuce and other veggies production. 

It's on the shelf at many garden shops in Thailand, including HomePro in the fertilizer/pesticide section. 

Its not listed on OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) or NOP (National Organic Production) standards as far as i could determine, but maybe because it's not well known or used much in the US.  I just did a search and attached is the most informative article I found. Check it out and be sure to read down to the 'Comparing Wood Vinegars' section and the caution about product quality and tar. 

CharcoalVinegar-with-pictures.pdf

Maybe Cooked can help with tips on mixing a solution, what concentration is effective for what plants and pests. And what is the residual effectiveness, same as most botanical biopesticides, a week or two, or longer? 

I made some following an Indian YouTube video and it definitely seems to be helping my little guava plantation. I am still in the early stages of using it, so am just being careful. However, I have tons of it left over so if you can collect it down here in Songkhla, you can have it for free.

Wood vinegar works both as a preventive and as a pesticide (in my experience). However I must admit that I have occasionally had to get rid of ants carrying aphids up the plant to further produce sugar. That process wasn't very organic but as time goes on the less I have had to apply permethrin to the soil, haven't done that since a year now. 

I can't vouch for the claim that WV works as a weed killer, not in my garden at any rate, 

Typical Wood Vinegar Consumption and Dilution.pdf

PS I think Isaan aussie gave me this.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

Wood vinegar works both as a preventive and as a pesticide (in my experience). However I must admit that I have occasionally had to get rid of ants carrying aphids up the plant to further produce sugar. That process wasn't very organic but as time goes on the less I have had to apply permethrin to the soil, haven't done that since a year now. 

I can't vouch for the claim that WV works as a weed killer, not in my garden at any rate, 

Typical Wood Vinegar Consumption and Dilution.pdf 87.38 kB · 1 download

PS I think Isaan aussie gave me this.

For citrus trees in tubs plant in some mint. You have to keep thinning it out but ants don't seem to like it.

Citrus in the ground I've tried sticky tape around the trunk with varying results, yet to find a proprietary tape here.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:42 PM, phuketsub said:

I made some following an Indian YouTube video and it definitely seems to be helping my little guava plantation. I am still in the early stages of using it, so am just being careful. However, I have tons of it left over so if you can collect it down here in Songkhla, you can have it for free.

Thank you Phuketsub for the kind offer, but Songkhla is a bit too far for me (we're up in Korat). 

8 hours ago, djayz said:

Thank you Phuketsub for the kind offer, but Songkhla is a bit too far for me (we're up in Korat). 

Well, I can extend the offer to anyone in the thread that wants it.

I actually learned about it from an old friend in Chiang Mai who mentioned 'neem' for dental reasons. In India some people use the twigs as toothbrushes!

I didn't even know the English word for it, only the Thai one. Here in Songkhla we even have a district named Sadao, which is on the Malaysian border. Sadly, most of that district has been taken over by rubber plantation.

Anyway, my morbidly obese mother-in-law goes out with a sickle and cuts off the branches to get the flowers, which she then puts in palm sugar to make a kind of sickly-sweet dip. All the leaves were just left to die on the ground, so that's when I googled it and found out that they could be used to make an effective pest repellent.

Anyway, this is probably too much information,,,I blame the morning coffee.

hope all is well up in Isarn.

51 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

I actually learned about it from an old friend in Chiang Mai who mentioned 'neem' for dental reasons. In India some people use the twigs as toothbrushes!

I didn't even know the English word for it, only the Thai one. Here in Songkhla we even have a district named Sadao, which is on the Malaysian border. Sadly, most of that district has been taken over by rubber plantation.

Anyway, my morbidly obese mother-in-law goes out with a sickle and cuts off the branches to get the flowers, which she then puts in palm sugar to make a kind of sickly-sweet dip. All the leaves were just left to die on the ground, so that's when I googled it and found out that they could be used to make an effective pest repellent.

9 hours ago, djayz said:

Be careful with Bai Sadao, it can have drastic effects on the digestive system, if you consume more than a leaf. 

Another remark: don't take twigs from a tree that has suffered insect attack, it won't possess enough of whatever it is that repels insects.

40 minutes ago, cooked said:

Be careful with Bai Sadao, it can have drastic effects on the digestive system, if you consume more than a leaf. 

Another remark: don't take twigs from a tree that has suffered insect attack, it won't possess enough of whatever it is that repels insects.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I have been  eating a lot of the flowers, boiled in  a stew, so far with no ill effects. I just use the leaves to make the spray.

5 hours ago, phuketsub said:

Do you, by any chance, still have the video link/information about turning the Sada leaves into this I sent repellent?

Archived