BANGKOK 22 March 2019 14:51
djayz

Neen oil/spray

8 hours ago, djayz said:

Thank you Phuketsub for the kind offer, but Songkhla is a bit too far for me (we're up in Korat). 

Well, I can extend the offer to anyone in the thread that wants it.

I actually learned about it from an old friend in Chiang Mai who mentioned 'neem' for dental reasons. In India some people use the twigs as toothbrushes!

I didn't even know the English word for it, only the Thai one. Here in Songkhla we even have a district named Sadao, which is on the Malaysian border. Sadly, most of that district has been taken over by rubber plantation.

Anyway, my morbidly obese mother-in-law goes out with a sickle and cuts off the branches to get the flowers, which she then puts in palm sugar to make a kind of sickly-sweet dip. All the leaves were just left to die on the ground, so that's when I googled it and found out that they could be used to make an effective pest repellent.

Anyway, this is probably too much information,,,I blame the morning coffee.

hope all is well up in Isarn.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

I actually learned about it from an old friend in Chiang Mai who mentioned 'neem' for dental reasons. In India some people use the twigs as toothbrushes!

I didn't even know the English word for it, only the Thai one. Here in Songkhla we even have a district named Sadao, which is on the Malaysian border. Sadly, most of that district has been taken over by rubber plantation.

Anyway, my morbidly obese mother-in-law goes out with a sickle and cuts off the branches to get the flowers, which she then puts in palm sugar to make a kind of sickly-sweet dip. All the leaves were just left to die on the ground, so that's when I googled it and found out that they could be used to make an effective pest repellent.

9 hours ago, djayz said:

Thank you Phuketsub for the kind offer, but Songkhla is a bit too far for me (we're up in Korat). 

Be careful with Bai Sadao, it can have drastic effects on the digestive system, if you consume more than a leaf. 

Another remark: don't take twigs from a tree that has suffered insect attack, it won't possess enough of whatever it is that repels insects.

40 minutes ago, cooked said:

Be careful with Bai Sadao, it can have drastic effects on the digestive system, if you consume more than a leaf. 

Another remark: don't take twigs from a tree that has suffered insect attack, it won't possess enough of whatever it is that repels insects.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I have been  eating a lot of the flowers, boiled in  a stew, so far with no ill effects. I just use the leaves to make the spray.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phuketsub said:

Do you, by any chance, still have the video link/information about turning the Sada leaves into this I sent repellent?