BANGKOK 26 March 2019 09:46
trevoromgh

Tradesmen in Chiang Mai

Have tried searching this forum for topics suggesting how to contact reliable tradesmen but could not find any.  Can anyone point me at a website or post here where the contact details of plumbers, electricians, carpenters can be found please?  It would obviously be nice if there was a pinned topic in the CM forum where we could post any recommendations we might have and which others could refer to so perhaps Admin could start one?  One key requirement would be the ability of said tradesmen to have a reasonable grasp of English so we can communicate with them without having to have an interpreter always.

Search for
“Chiang Mai Tradesmen” on Facebook there is a group you can join and where you can look for recommendations / contacts

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There are a small group of homes being built near where I stay.

I took a Thai speaker with me, asked some questions of the workers and got phone numbers.

Several of them have already completed plumbing and painting jobs.

7 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Have tried searching this forum for topics suggesting how to contact reliable tradesmen but could not find any.

there have been many threads on parts of the topic with recommendations

7 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

One key requirement would be the ability of said tradesmen to have a reasonable grasp of English so we can communicate with them without having to have an interpreter always.

Suprise, there are people on this forum that do speak Thai and do not have your requirements.

43 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

There are a small group of homes being built near where I stay.

I took a Thai speaker with me, asked some questions of the workers and got phone numbers.

Several of them have already completed plumbing and painting jobs.

Simple, find some people doing work you find acceptable and talk with them.  Well done bkk6060.

• Like 1

If you go into the large DIY places like Thai watsadu there is usually a board full of business cards for various trades etc.

Just now, CharlieH said:

If you go into the large DIY places like Thai watsadu there is isually a board full of business cards for various trades etc.

Thanks for the first useful suggestion which doesn't rely on F***book which I refuse to use.  It just seems strange that on a forum such as this we are missing such a topic which would be handy for so many people especially those who can't speak Thai yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trevoromgh said:

Thanks for the first useful suggestion which doesn't rely on F***book which I refuse to use.  It just seems strange that on a forum such as this we are missing such a topic which would be handy for so many people especially those who can't speak Thai yet.

There are many useful tips etc and knowledgeable people on the DIY forum. There is also building terms etc in Thai to help people.

If there is enough support I have no problem "pinning" a "local trades/recommendations" in the localised forum.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

There are many useful tips etc and knowledgeable people on the DIY forum. There is also building terms etc in Thai to help people.

If there is enough support I have no problem "pinning" a "local trades/recommendations" in the localised forum.

Another good suggestion that certainly gets my support. Cheers

• Like 1

I once contacted someone who can speak English 'well' but he quoted me 5 times more for the same work as someone who can't speak any English.

It seems that there are double pricing for foreigners and locals.

Try to get a local Thai friend to talk to them instead.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

If you refuse to use Facebook to search for help then you are ruling out perhaps 75% of all leads on tradesmen. It's the way things are done now. In fact, some of them only communicate by FB messenger now and no longer even check their email. If you don't want to have a Thai speaker help you make telephone calls, then you have eliminated perhaps another 10% of them, so at this point you only have about a 15% of finding any help.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, elektrified said:

If you refuse to use Facebook to search for help then you are ruling out perhaps 75% of all leads on tradesmen. It's the way things are done now. In fact, some of them only communicate by FB messenger now and no longer even check their email. If you don't want to have a Thai speaker help you make telephone calls, then you have eliminated perhaps another 10% of them, so at this point you only have about a 15% of finding any help.

I realize the dependence Thai people seem to have on F***book and I think it's a shame as its domineering position will wreck them and their economy but that's another topic.  Besides having a pinned topic here with tradesmen recommendations provides a far better source of information in English than that will ever provide.

• Sad 1

Thai people know who is good and who is not.

We went for dinner, restaurant just had an outdoor addition built to increase seating.

Electric work was all done in white conduit to match the rest of the building.

Asked the owner - the wife did - got a contact number - viola !

Same guy who just finished Supalai condo by Central.

The mind boggles when people ask on an English speaking Forum for tradesmen.

And with a little digging - so can you.

Get out there ...

• Like 1

Inflammatory posts removed.