Amnesty underway for users, possessors of cannabis

webfact

Amnesty underway for users, possessors of cannabis

By THE NATION

27d92503444ef20d436aac43b155dbd8.jpeg

File photo

THE AUTHORITIES are taking concrete steps towards granting amnesty to those who use or have cannabis in their possession if they report to the authorities within a given time frame.

The Drug Committee approved three draft legislations for amnesty yesterday. 

If these drafts become law, even possessors of cannabis, who are not patients or research units, will be pardoned. 

“We have already passed the draft regulations, but there are still many steps left. The Food and Drug Administration [FDA] will have to put these drafts through public hearings and gather opinions for further review,” FDA secretary-general Tares Krassanairawiwong said yesterday.

He was speaking after chairing a meeting with the Drug Committee, during which the green light was given to several draft subordinate laws yesterday. 

The approved drafts included three announcements designed to grant amnesty to government agencies, private firms, community enterprises, practitioners of traditional Thai medicine, research organisations, patients and everybody else who use and possess cannabis. 

“They must report within 90 days once the announcement goes into effect,” Tares explained. 

Under Thai law, cannabis is an illicit drug and possession or use of it is punishable by a fine and/or a jail term. 

However, the Kingdom is currently in the process of allowing the use of medical marijuana, and several subordinate draft legislations are being prepared to facilitate the enforcement. 

According to plan, patients who use marijuana for health reasons will be allowed to continue using the drug after they register themselves for amnesty and till the medical-marijuana system is introduced. 

Marijuana is believed to be useful for patients battling Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, stress, chronic pain, and nausea related to chemotherapy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30364161

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-15

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...The approved drafts included three announcements designed to grant amnesty to government agencies, private firms, community enterprises, practitioners of traditional Thai medicine, research organisations, patients and everybody else who use and possess cannabis..." 

Kudos to you, Thailand!!!

This is an enlightened step that I wasn't expecting, and one several other countries could learn from (yes, I mean you, America). Honestly, I think removing the criminal aspect is the single most important element of the process; giving people a criminal record and/or jailing them for something so widespread and common is dumb as hell. And, once you accept that it is dumb as hell, then amnesty, pardons, purging previous arrests and convictions is the proper way to proceed.

Good on you, Thailand! I didn't think you'd be demonstrating such wisdom.

I would say that I am relieved to see this but;

"...Marijuana is believed to be useful for patients battling Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, stress, chronic pain, and nausea related to chemotherapy..."

I think my stress levels are still a wee bit too high...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

However, the Kingdom is currently in the process of allowing the use of medical marijuana, and several subordinate draft legislations are being prepared to facilitate the enforcement. 

The Bamboo Grapevine has been smoking hot around the local village and my wife is in the middle of it. Why? Many of the rice farmers are beginning to explore the governmental requirements needed to grow pot. They believe that there is more money to be made supplying medical marijuana instead of the struggles with growing rice. And they can't be the only village in Thailand having the same thoughts.

As a loving husband, I support my wife 100% in this endeavor....

pipes.JPG

2 hours ago, webfact said:

If these drafts become law, even possessors of cannabis, who are not patients or research units, will be pardoned. 

So the gvt will have a user database which can in turn lead to finding the suppliers.

Once pardoned will they be allowed to continue consuming or will they have to submit to regular drug tests.

They are putting the plow in front of the ox on this one.

Legalize it first would seem the natural order...

I hope many Thai farmers who can't make much money selling rice turn to marijuana cultivation.  The more available it is in general, the faster the Thai government will eliminate all restrictions on the use of this beneficial herb. Over here, I often take pills to help me sleep — something I use marijuana for in my home state of Alaska where it is totally legal.  This reversal of position by the authorities is surprising, enlightened and most welcome. If only my own federal government was as similarly enlightened.

1 hour ago, missoura said:

The Bamboo Grapevine has been smoking hot around the local village and my wife is in the middle of it. Why? Many of the rice farmers are beginning to explore the governmental requirements needed to grow pot. They believe that there is more money to be made supplying medical marijuana instead of the struggles with growing rice. And they can't be the only village in Thailand having the same thoughts.

As a loving husband, I support my wife 100% in this endeavor....

pipes.JPG

When is the best time to pay you a visit????

I hope many Thai farmers who can't make much money selling rice turn to marijuana cultivation.  The more available it is in general, the faster the Thai government will eliminate all restrictions on the use of this beneficial herb. Over here, I often take pills to help me sleep — something I use marijuana for in my home state of Alaska where it is totally legal.  This reversal of position by the authorities is surprising, enlightened and most welcome. If only my own federal government was as similarly enlightened.

I need for sleep

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How about TV using a different photo than the the pothead with ganja tats on his face?....eg. Bill Clinton (although he didn't inhale or have sex with that woman), Barack Obama, or Bill Shorten (leader of the opposition in Australia) or perhaps some very ordinary and normal looking people from any walk of life from anywhere in the world.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...The approved drafts included three announcements designed to grant amnesty to government agencies, private firms, community enterprises, practitioners of traditional Thai medicine, research organisations, patients and everybody else who use and possess cannabis..." 

Kudos to you, Thailand!!!

This is an enlightened step that I wasn't expecting, and one several other countries could learn from (yes, I mean you, America). Honestly, I think removing the criminal aspect is the single most important element of the process; giving people a criminal record and/or jailing them for something so widespread and common is dumb as hell. And, once you accept that it is dumb as hell, then amnesty, pardons, purging previous arrests and convictions is the proper way to proceed.

Good on you, Thailand! I didn't think you'd be demonstrating such wisdom.

I would say that I am relieved to see this but;

"...Marijuana is believed to be useful for patients battling Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, stress, chronic pain, and nausea related to chemotherapy..."

I think my stress levels are still a wee bit too high...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

well written I share your thoughts 100% and of course in time this is going to make a lot of jail space for real crims

The standards required for supply of medical cannabis will exclude almost all farmers. MC is grown in what are effectively clean rooms, no chemicals are used, powdery mildew and other fungal infections must be controlled. If people think they can convert a rice field for medical cannabis cultivation, they are mistaken.

This gift to the Thai people, as stated by one of the drafters of the law, is nothing of the sort. Only the wealthy will be able to build out the expensive facilities needed to cultivate medical quality product.

As for the amnesty, sounds like a honey-trap to me...

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“We have already passed the draft regulations, but there are still many steps left. The Food and Drug Administration [FDA] will have to put these drafts through public hearings and gather opinions for further review,” FDA secretary-general Tares Krassanairawiwong said yesterday.

Was he giggling and did he say he had the 'munchies' right after he made that statement?

IMG_0103.JPG.c98ab668cd56ae0aaff87908de59c408.JPG

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I wish they would hurry up I need to give it my wife after the chemo somedays unbearable  

CBD oil is reported to be helpful with chemotherapy side effects.  It has no THC, which is usually the gold standard for marijuana convictions.

Other options include seeking the prescription medication Marinol, which is a synthetic THC drug.  Not known if available in Thailand. 

When communicating with physicians in a country that did not permit Marinol, oncologists were giving tips on how to smuggle through Customs from USA...  If your wife is truly ill, there are caring physicians who are sometimes willing to help if you ask.

53 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

The standards required for supply of medical cannabis will exclude almost all farmers. MC is grown in what are effectively clean rooms, no chemicals are used, powdery mildew and other fungal infections must be controlled. If people think they can convert a rice field for medical cannabis cultivation, they are mistaken.

This gift to the Thai people, as stated by one of the drafters of the law, is nothing of the sort. Only the wealthy will be able to build out the expensive facilities needed to cultivate medical quality product.

As for the amnesty, sounds like a honey-trap to me...

Greenhouses can be built inexpensively to control pests and organic pesticides exist in LOS.  Most medical grade cannabis grown in Colorado is done in outdoor greenhouses.  Farmers will be able to learn; local potheads will be clueless as one must know agriculture, not growing weeds.

10 minutes ago, WyrldTraveler said:

Greenhouses can be built inexpensively to control pests and organic pesticides exist in LOS.  Most medical grade cannabis grown in Colorado is done in outdoor greenhouses.  Farmers will be able to learn; local potheads will be clueless as one must know agriculture, not growing weeds.

Its the cost of labor, dudes, thats the bottom line. its cheaper to grow here than in the US, no matter how you grow.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

We have already passed the draft regulations, but there are still many steps left. The Food and Drug Administration [FDA] will have to put these drafts through public hearings and gather opinions for further review,” FDA secretary-general Tares Krassanairawiwong said yesterday.

May i ask what does FDA got to do with Thailand? I thought FDA is from USA?

43 minutes ago, WyrldTraveler said:

CBD oil is reported to be helpful with chemotherapy side effects.  It has no THC, which is usually the gold standard for marijuana convictions.

Other options include seeking the prescription medication Marinol, which is a synthetic THC drug.  Not known if available in Thailand. 

When communicating with physicians in a country that did not permit Marinol, oncologists were giving tips on how to smuggle through Customs from USA...  If your wife is truly ill, there are caring physicians who are sometimes willing to help if you ask.

Yep she truly suffers usually a couple of times a month that Chemo is a killer I didnt know about Marinol dont know if it's legal here in Thailand I will have to look it up, Thanks for that

This could be a sign that the country is moving forward, on at least one level. Prosecuting, or keeping people locked up for pot offenses is so far beyond inane, it defies reason. Same is happening in the US, where even though many states are allowing it, the Feds are still pursuing this voraciously. In the US, it is about supporting the private prison industry. Not sure what it is about here. But, legalizing pot is a smart move. Personally, I would like to see ALL drugs legalized. Demand would drop overnight.

Archived