Strategies to reverse ageing

webfact

Strategies to reverse ageing 

By Gerald W Fry 
Special to The Nation

opinion1.jpg

Thailand has a higher percentage of elderly people than any other developing nation on earth. In just two years, Thai seniors will number 11.23 million, or 20 per cent of the population. By the year 2040, 17 million Thais (more than 25 per cent) will be over 65. As a rapidly ageing society, Thailand faces several serious challenges.

In Thailand and anywhere else, the elderly are often unhealthy, unfit, bored, lonely, poor and dependent on others for everyday needs. A 2014 survey indicated that 21 per cent of Thai senior citizens need assistance with day-to-day living. The finding is alarming, but the dependence of seniors could be reduced significantly by motivating all citizens to pursue healthier lifestyles.

Now I will share “secrets” from key places around the world where successful and graceful ageing are found and practised. The formula for successful ageing is the “3 i” approach, namely interdisciplinary, intercultural and international. It draws on lessons from many disciplines and diverse places across our planet.

Best-selling author Dan Buettner coined the term “blue zones” for locales where individuals live exceptionally long lives. Buettner writes about lifestyles in five areas of the world: Okinawa, Japan; Icaria island, Greece; Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rice; Ogliastra, Sardinia, Italy; and Linda Loma, a vegetarian community in California. Okinawa is the most famous among these, with exceptional longevity and ageing with grace.

In my research to discover a formula for “reverse ageing”, I propose four key factors:

1. Keeping mentally active.

2. Keeping physically active.

3.     Having a healthy diet with significantly lowered food consumption. 

4.     Having lots of love and “social wealth”. 

For the first factor, it is important to maintain brain density throughout life to retain our “cognitive reserve”. Key research at my own institution (“The Nun Study”, University of Minnesota) has demonstrated rigorously that this is the best way to minimise dementia and Alzheimer’s, which are extremely costly, requiring 24-7 care. 

Examples of brain-density boosters are playing a musical instrument, playing chess, writing poetry, watching a film in a second language, thilanguage learning after age 50, and other activities that actively engage the mind. Recently I received a New Year’s greeting from author William Klausner, a Thailand resident since the late 1950s who is now nearing 90. The letter contained several haiku-style poems he composed.

This is a wonderful example of using brain density.

Regarding factor 2, I once had the privilege of working for Nike’s founder Phil Knight, and was deeply influenced by its philosophies of cross-training and leading a super-active life. Cross-training means diversity in exercise, since different types of exercise utilise different parts of the body and brain. Research has shown how such physical exercise contributes to cognitive health. 

In contrast, the world’s most serious disease is the “sitting disease”. The adjustable standing desk should be the norm, not the exception. Contributing to the sitting disease is the digital dementia highlighted in “Smartphone Epidemic”, an important new book by German neuroscientist Manfred Spitzer. 

The Israeli physiologist Moshe Feldenkrais has developed extremely effective movement techniques and exercises such as climbing stairs backwards, running and walking backwards. This backward movement is also part of ancient Chinese wisdom to optimise use of all parts of the body and brain. Climbing steps in general is extremely healthy and can be done easily at no expense. Recent research from Duke University, meanwhile, has shown that speed of walking is a key health indicator and that it is healthy to walk as fast as possible.

For the third factor, diet, the most common wisdom is the Buddhist “middle path” – everything in moderation. The late professor Roy Walford was a world guru on “life extension” and his life-long research suggests that humans generally eat about 30 per cent too much. The dietary practice of Thai Buddhist monks to take no food after noon is perfectly consistent with Walford’s philosophy. 

Recent years have seen an explosion in the global industry selling vitamins and vitamin supplements. Research suggests that these are largely a waste of money. Interestingly, serious research studies show consuming tea can have significant health benefits, reducing the chances of developing glaucoma, a serious eye disease. Strong genuine green tea, though bitter, is particularly healthy.

Other healthy foods include cucumbers, black garlic, olive oil, and mangosteens, which are high in antioxidants. And alcohol consumption should be strictly limited.

The fourth factor is optimal love and social wealth – the number of true friends one has. The 80-year Harvard Grant Study of long-term health and well-being found that human relationships were key. Thai Buddhist nun, social entrepreneur and author Mae Chee Sansanee writes that real wealth is not how much money you have, but how many genuine friends you have.

More wisdom on ageing comes from Finland and Japan. Recent rigorous research in Finland shows that taking regular saunas can greatly reduce the risk of stroke. The effects of the sauna are likely similar to those of the onsen, the relaxing hot baths popular in Japan. Notably, Japan boasts the longest living people. From Okinawa, Japan – the most famous blue zone – comes the powerful concept of ikigai: having a passion and purpose in life. My father’s passion was playing the violin and he almost made it to 100. When he was over 80, he composed “The Kansas Waltz”.

There is one important caveat to note. Before trying any of the physical strategies suggested here, check with your doctor to see if you are fit enough to engage safely in the activity. 

The biggest challenge to adopting a healthier lifestyle, however, is more basic: People everywhere are often simply too lazy to use their bodies and brains.

Gerald W Fry is a visiting scholar at Chulalongkorn University and a professor at the University of Minnesota.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30364168

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-15

I agree at the expense of becoming a recluse and loosing your sense of humour, lighten up on that daily intake of "T" bone steaks and that carton of piss and keeping active thats the key all else follows, unfortnutley not everyone can do this, the other way to keeping young is of course die young.

Try the Thai expat anti-aging formula. Go to Pattaya, wear shorts, a vest and some "attractive" looking flip flops ... head for the nearest bar, crack open a Chang (or three) and unleash that "very hansum man" waiting to get out! Wake up at the crack of Dawn (a Soi 6 bargirl) ... rinse and repeat! 

I see some really tragic cases here in Pattaya.  The key to live a healthy lifestyle is not to sit on a bar stool all day . 

But there are some of us who enjoy life without alcohol and personally I get plenty of daily exercise.

Eating healthy food every day can be a challenge. Eat less of the bad stuff like red meat and more veggies and fruit is probably the way to go. 

As long as there is no social security scheme or welfare system in place the ageing are doomed. Specially in this more and more Narcistic society we call the world... By the time they wake up the Thais will not be able to organize a welfare system for the poor and elderly because there will be no one left to pay for it.

In the old days the kids were active and climbed trees etc.  Now everyone sit in front of a screen , they sit instead of walking . No wonder the younger generation are out of shape. 

I watched a Youtube clip the other day that was filmed 110 years ago and people were slim and walked instead of driving a car, maybe used the bicycle instead.   Always moving around, of course they had other problems back in 1904 , penicillin was not invented yet. Still, many of these young kids grew up to the old ripe age of 90 ++ .   

This is a street scene from England 1904  (speed corrected w/ added sound) 

He who knows but does not act, does not really know. This is the problem.

The advice that a wholesome diet and regular exercise will tend to increase health and longevity has been around for many decades, yet so many people seem to ignore the advice. About 2/3rds of the populations in most developed countries are overweight, and about 1/3rd actually obese.

Part of the problem is that most people don't really know what constitutes a healthy diet. Doctors are not dieticians. When a person develops higher-than-normal blood pressure, most doctors will probably prescribe medication to lower the blood pressure and the patient will likely be on such medication for the rest of his/her life.

Only a few people will consider their high blood pressure as a warning that their lifestyle and diet needs changing. Most people probably don't have the desire, motivation, confidence, or will power to change their lifestyle and diet. It's much easier to continue as usual and allow modern medication to ameliorate the discomfort, which often gradually gets worse.

Another part of the problem is the need for social interaction in order to be happy. Feasting around the dining table, with family members or friends, and salivating over the amazingly delicious food, is a major activity for many people. Some people can actually get addicted to tasty food, and changing their diet would be as difficult as an alcoholic giving up drinking.

One point in the article which I think needs clarifying is the following quote:

Recent years have seen an explosion in the global industry selling vitamins and vitamin supplements. Research suggests that these are largely a waste of money.

I would agree that taking more vitamins than the body needs is a waste of money. However, the problem is that it's difficult for any individual to know what particular vitamin or mineral he might be lacking because not all foods of the same type have the same amount of vitamins and minerals.

For example, research has shown that oranges grown during the times of our grandfathers (or great grandfathers), before the introduction of modern farming techniques and artificial fertilizers, had much more Vitamin C than the average orange grown today.
Selenium is one mineral that people often lack, because the soil is often lacking Selenium. Brazil nuts are supposed to be high in Selenium. Some time ago, I did some research on the quantity of Selenium in Brazil nuts, checking scientific papers that showed the analysis of Brazil nuts grown in many different parts of the world.
I was surprised to discover how much the Selenium content of the Brazil nut varied, depending on where it was grown. From memory, some Brazil nuts, weight for weight, had 10x the amount of Selenium as others.

The nature of modern farming techniques is to grow as much of a particular crop as possible, on a given size of land, and in the cheapest manner possible, in order to gain the maximum profit. Plant growth is maximized through the application of water and artificial fertilizers which do not necessarily contain all the other minerals which our body needs.

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Try the Thai expat anti-aging formula. Go to Pattaya, wear shorts, a vest and some "attractive" looking flip flops ... head for the nearest bar, crack open a Chang (or three) and unleash that "very hansum man" waiting to get out! Wake up at the crack of Dawn (a Soi 6 bargirl) ... rinse and repeat! 

Like this guy?

3pm_VI.jpg.d0c0706b9f67a4561ba6d0da2d900baa.jpg

22 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Come up with whatever strategies you want, the only sure thing is we are all going to die.

Some sooner, some later, but it comes to us all, sod all anybody can do to change it.

So while your here enjoy what time you have.

yes but I made all the right boring life choices and have planned my finances so I can live forever.....

3 hours ago, webfact said:

I propose four key factors:

1. Keeping mentally active.

2. Keeping physically active.

3.     Having a healthy diet with significantly lowered food consumption. 

4.     Having lots of love and “social wealth”. 

Apart from #4, they don't apply to Thais.

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

As long as there is no social security scheme or welfare system in place the ageing are doomed. Specially in this more and more Narcistic society we call the world... By the time they wake up the Thais will not be able to organize a welfare system for the poor and elderly because there will be no one left to pay for it.

Isn't that precisely why old people - and the middle-aged - need to look after themselves better?

13 hours ago, balo said:

I see some really tragic cases here in Pattaya.  The key to live a healthy lifestyle is not to sit on a bar stool all day . 

But there are some of us who enjoy life without alcohol and personally I get plenty of daily exercise.

Eating healthy food every day can be a challenge. Eat less of the bad stuff like red meat and more veggies and fruit is probably the way to go. 

Alcohol and exercise are not mutually exclusive.

Last week I cycled nearly 80Km, hiked 21Km in the mountains, and got drunk every afternoon.

My personal theory is as long as you exercise enough, you can eat and drink whatever you want, whenever you want.

13 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Early to bed,

Early to rise,

Makes a man,

Healthy, wealthy and BORING!

Life is short....have fun (responsibly and in moderation)!

image.jpeg.934f5b096065c75241eea51c9960e233.jpeg

Take 2 hr naps in middle of the day helps me  -  I learned from the Thais, they are the Power Nap-Masters!! 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My personal theory is as long as you exercise enough, you can eat and drink whatever you want, whenever you want.

Yes of course, just be a bit careful with the booze, I enjoy a beer from time to time , but getting drunk or high will probably kill a few of your brain cells. 

15 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

The advice that a wholesome diet and regular exercise will tend to increase health and longevity has been around for many decades, yet so many people seem to ignore the advice.

People do ignore the advice, the fact is most folks don't have a clue what constitutes healthy eating, how often do we read about the "great Thai food" usually based on price. Is red meat unhealthy, if it is grass fed, not grain - yes it is, people are kept in the dark about what is healthy and what is not with endless articles in the newspapers telling them what to eat and what not, most disagree with each other & don't rely on your doctor to tell you what to eat, most don't have a clue!

Educating yourself is the only option, don't rely on others to "tell" you, most are paid for advertising articles! :shock1:

8 hours ago, balo said:

Yes of course, just be a bit careful with the booze, I enjoy a beer from time to time , but getting drunk or high will probably kill a few of your brain cells. 

Almost all my relatives that made it past 70 suffered from dementia (only 50% made it past 65).

At 63, I see no reason to try to preserve anything, death is coming in the near future.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Im combining that with a limitation on certain foods. I walk 4 miles minimum every day

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

At 63, I see no reason to try to preserve anything, death is coming in the near future

Which is why I cheat and eat ice cream, smoke weed, stoner out and take pics, and chase sub 30 year old ladies. I woke up today, who knows about tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Im combining that with a limitation on certain foods. I walk 4 miles minimum every day

Which is why I cheat and eat ice cream, smoke weed, stoner out and take pics, and chase sub 30 year old ladies. I woke up today, who knows about tomorrow.

Noted that you chase sub 30 year old ladies, but you conveniently dont mention what if anything happens after the chase, maybe you hope that the young ladies give you the kiss of life, whilst you are laying prone on the ground.:cheesy:

Archived