Hand Guards and Lane Splitting

sprice

I'm picking up a new 2019 Honda CB500X on Saturday.  Will be immediately taking it to get some aftermarket parts for touring (panniers, lights, crash guard, etc...)

I'm considering adding hand guards but worried if they might affect lane splitting at all (think heavy downtown Sukhumvit traffic).

Does anyone have experience with a lane splitting on a bike before and after hand guards in heavy traffic?  Do they get in the way at all or is the difference negligible.

I'm assuming they don't make much of a difference, but in heavy downtown traffic things can get a bit tight.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If you mean these, how would they affect anything. 

4480862c43e02ef47ff483113ae0c94f.jpg.154e11e028e00025e2d35a5ec0bd1790.jpg

Only if they stick out more to the side than the handle bar, then they affect line splitting. Just being in front guarding the brakes does not influence it at all.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Only if they stick out more to the side than the handle bar, then they affect line splitting. Just being in front guarding the brakes does not influence it at all.

Mine are no wider than the handle bar so I don't see the problem.

I wouldn't want to ride in Bkk anyway but if he hits a mirror with them safer than hitting the brake lever.

I agree with the others, the height and width of your handle bars has the biggest effect on lane splitting ability (and the width of  panniers/ crash bars, if fitted).  Hand guards shouldn't make any difference.  Some now come with built in LEDs too:

Image result for motorcycle hand guards

high low beam LED handguard light comparo

29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Mine are no wider than the handle bar so I don't see the problem.

I wouldn't want to ride in Bkk anyway but if he hits a mirror with them safer than hitting the brake lever.

If they are wider then the handle bar then they could be a problem. I drive in BKK because i live there and sometimes its really a matter of a few centimeters. So it could influence lane splitting at times.  Bangkok can be hell at times.

If your mirrors are wider then your handle bars then these are obviously the limiting factor. However i seen many smaller mirrors on bikes in BKK to make lane splitting easier. I dont know what kind of mirrors the OP uses.

Small differences can matter of course.

the height and width of your handle bars has the biggest effect on lane splitting ability

The height is what I was thinking of.  Instead of having mostly a concern for the mirrors, I would then have to think about the mirrors all the way down to the handlebars due to the added height of the hand guards.

But when it comes down to it I'm probably overthinking it.  I found a video of someone on a Versays 650 in Bangkok with hand guards filtering through traffic like a scooter.

I was overthinking the mirrors on my 2011 CBR250R when I upgraded from a Scooter, and those proved to be no issue as you can imagine.

There's probably little reason why I shouldn't get them added when I get the rest of my touring gear.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Edit:  I'll just make sure to get hand guards that aren't wider than the handlebars.

Its just a matter of luck with height, my scooter has no problem neither did my ninja. But sometimes you come across cars that are just a bit different and you can't pass. But in general anywhere a scooter could pass my ninja could pass too. However i prefer a scooter over a ninja any day while splitting lanes (if its with slow moving / not moving) traffic for a few kilometers.

Because of the weight of the bike and comfort, but it can be done its just not fun. But even on a scooter its not fun to do for a long distance.

I thought about them and didn't buy them for exactly the reason you mention.

The Width of the handlebar is one important part but it's a difference if the ends are just 25mm or big hand guards.

I went a step further and I removed the weights at the end of my handlebars. (I have no problem with vibrations.)

I also installed mirrors which can be easily adjusted. Within the city I have them about the same width as the handlebars.

If I ride on a big road outside of town then I change the mirrors to a position further outside.

Especially the removal of the weights on the ends of the handlebars made a big difference for me on Sukhumvit.

Cut.jpg.7ef420fcaff2436adcbbbfc6b7a98539.jpg

Archived