Video: Outa my way! Motorcyclist knocks pedestrian down on the footpath

webfact

Video: Outa my way! Motorcyclist knocks pedestrian down on the footpath

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Millions of Thais viewed CCTV footage from a Bangkok street that showed a motorcyclist deliberately knock down a pedestrian who had moments earlier warned him not to ride on the footpath. 

The footage - in Nang Lerng district - showed a rider with a passenger squeeze past a man waiting for a bus. The man tells the rider off for riding on the sidewalk but he rides on regardless. 

Seconds later the rider comes back and appears to deliberately knock down the pedestrian.

Sanook said the pedestrian was thrown to the ground and no one came to his aid at all as the motorcycle sped off. 

Nearly two million people have viewed the footage that is bound to stir up the debate about use of the capital's footpaths by motorbikes, an illegal practice. 

Daily News reported that both the rider and victim had been seen by Nang Lerng police. 

The rider apologized and said he was angry that he had been warned not to ride on the footpath. 

He agreed to pay the victim - named as Sasawasu - 5,000 baht and pay for his hospital expenses too. 

The police also intend to prosecute the rider for riding on the footpath and for reckless endangerment. 

They are waiting for an  injury report from a doctor before proceeding with a criminal prosecution. 

A police spokesman said there was no truth to online rumors that a senior policeman had tried to settle the matter without the need for a prosecution.  

Source: Sanook, Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-15

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, webfact said:

A police spokesman said there was no truth to online rumors that a senior policeman had tried to settle the matter without the need for a prosecution.  

In other words, it was true.

Seriously though, this is society breaking down that we are witnessing. It will steadily get worse the longer nothing is done to encourage respect for others, decency, right from wrong and some discipline. 

I can't believe no one even tried to help the man....

This is very TYPICAL...

In Thailand: He who has the larger vehicle gets his/her way.

It's sad but true.

This is also another reason why Thailand is looked upon as a third world country.

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

They are waiting for an  injury report from a doctor before proceeding with a criminal prosecution.

It would be really lovely to know the outcome of this, but I doubt we ever will.

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

"A police spokesman said that a senior policeman would have tried to settle the matter without the need for a prosecution, but maybe it will be not possible, due to the social uproar caused by the video."
Fixed it.

3 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Seriously though, this is society breaking down that we are witnessing. It will steadily get worse the longer nothing is done to encourage respect for others, decency, right from wrong and some discipline. 

Including teaching children from an early age, step by step about building and maintaining a civil society (and without specific political content). One serious aim being to teach kids that all civil societies have laws for good reasons and they apply to all and their must be  a justice system which is fair to all.

21 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

I can't believe no one even tried to help the man....

This is very TYPICAL...

In Thailand: He who has the larger vehicle gets his/her way.

It's sad but true.

This is also another reason why Thailand is looked upon as a third world country.

and.. no one stands up for him. the police and populace basically condone/accept this behaviour by failing to take any action against these anti-social, law breaking motorcyclists/cyclists

This epitomises a lot wrong here at the moment.

You can blame the people, the public, the education etc but this all stems from a complete lack of law enforcement. Not just the police, from the top down. 

It will take generations to rectify these inbred traits. 

The police will never rectify this very, VERY annoying problem, as they themselves frequently ride their motorbikes on the pavements in BKK. I've seen it often.

Trying to be a pedestrian (a 'walker') in BKK is a very unpleasant experience (and I used to enjoy walking for miles in my homeland and native capital city). The worst aspect of it all here is these damned motorbikes that suddenly drive up from behind you and whizz past you - on the pavement. You can never relax when walking on a BKK pavement - you risk life and limb!

BKK must be one of the most pedestrian-unfriendly cities in the world.

The rider apologized and said he was angry that he had been warned not to ride on the footpath. 

He agreed to pay the victim - named as Sasawasu - 5,000 baht and pay for his hospital expenses too. 

The police also intend to prosecute the rider for riding on the footpath and for reckless endangerment. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

All Good:

Sentence #1 The rider was forced to eat crow by apologizing.

#2 The payouts will hit him where it hurts (and his big ego too).

#3 Prosecution ... Good, police doing their job, and more lessons to idiot motorcycle driver.

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

A police spokesman said there was no truth to online rumors that a senior policeman had tried to settle the matter without the need for a prosecution

I'm not sure why people are pretending to be shocked by this, IMO it is a blatant lie. In my experience it is normal practice for the police to mediate a settlement before the event goes into the system for minor offences (and obviously some major ones for the hi-so tribe).

Even though this driving on the pavement, the self appointed right to deal out punishment to innocent bystanders who dare to comment on the fact that the offender is doing wrong because they get angry for being spoken to needs to be addressed, again IMO, comes secondary to the issue of the authorities taking shortcuts with the written law.

Unless this is addressed, people will be seeing the green light to continue with their disregard of the law because it is an easy get-out for a couple of thousand baht. Perhaps in this case because of the media coverage, the driver (and pillion) of the bike has proper justice meted out, even though shortcuts are already being seen with him paying 5,000 baht to the victim outside the legal system. 

15 minutes ago, ocddave said:

The more I drive here, the more I believe Thai drivers (especially males), have some type of mental disorder passed on from generation to generation. I think the only way to fix the problem is to remove all the Thai drivers from the streets, then enforce a strict written and thorough road test. 

There is a big enough problem getting them off the sidewalks. let alone the streets!

On a more serious note, if it is some kind of mental disorder (I'm inclined to agree with you) then I feel it is doubtful that any sort of re-test would change their attitude. Its more about trying to eradicate the me, me, me attitude, which is presumably a cultural issue. It's way to prevalent to be anything other.

38 minutes ago, ocddave said:

...I think the only way to fix the problem is to remove all the Thai drivers from the streets, then enforce a strict written and thorough road test. 

In the meantime, who's going to deliver your Kellog's Corn Flakes to Tesco-Lotus or your Chang to the bar?

3 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

There is a big enough problem getting them off the sidewalks. let alone the streets!

On a more serious note, if it is some kind of mental disorder (I'm inclined to agree with you) then I feel it is doubtful that any sort of re-test would change their attitude. Its more about trying to eradicate the me, me, me attitude, which is presumably a cultural issue. It's way to prevalent to be anything other.

The "me, me, me attitude" is pretty much the mental disorder in question, its a Me First mentality, even if it makes no sense. I can be a 100 yards from stopping at a red light, and only one car behind me, that driver behind me has to quickly cut around me and get in front.....at a red light?!?! Waiting until they are feet from a highway exit, then quickly cut the wheel from the MIDDLE lane to cutoff cars exiting from the proper lane?!?! Changing multiple lanes at warp-speed in heavy traffic (just to get one car ahead?), and not even consider using blinkers?!?! I really don't want to die because of an ignorant/arrogant Thai driver with the brains of a fruit fly, who can't even figure out his own life is in danger, let alone everyone else around him.

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I quite favour the pay out to the victim rather than a court fine - in certain circumstances - that is minor infringements - reparation rather than paying for a 'legal' 'punishment'

I'd rather they put the motorcycle driver in jail for a couple of years, and take his license for life.

Admittedly, i too, sometimes ride the pavements for a short distances of no more than a 100 meters or so where the alternatives are a big detour around on a very busy road, however, i do it ever so mindful of people walking/standing and stops and let people pass first, yes, i know, i'm trying to justify the wrong, but what i'm saying is that if you have to do wrong, do it nicely..

3 minutes ago, ocddave said:

So the license and insurance makes him a better driver?! If he's gone for a couple of years, I call that a win!

Nope you appeared to think taking his licence away would make a difference somehow.... just adding a touch of reality

Archived