Video: Outa my way! Motorcyclist knocks pedestrian down on the footpath

webfact

need to make it law that anyone caught riding on the footpaths will have their bikes seized and destroyed, its the only thing that will get a reaction, these idiot riders simply  dont care about anyone else. Even in walking markets they ride through the crowds , I have been hit a few times by their handle bars, they are simply too lazy to walk like everyone else. Until the police actually start coming down on these idiots it wont stop, heavy fines and destruction of their bikes is the only way it will be stopped

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Admittedly, i too, sometimes ride the pavements for a short distances of no more than a 100 meters or so where the alternatives are a big detour around on a very busy road, however, i do it ever so mindful of people walking/standing and stops and let people pass first, yes, i know, i'm trying to justify the wrong, but what i'm saying is that if you have to do wrong, do it nicely..

No, you take the long detour. If your argument holds up then I can drive my car on the pavement as long as I'm careful, right?

The police will never rectify this very, VERY annoying problem, as they themselves frequently ride their motorbikes on the pavements in BKK. I've seen it often.

Trying to be a pedestrian (a 'walker') in BKK is a very unpleasant experience (and I used to enjoy walking for miles in my homeland and native capital city). The worst aspect of it all here is these damned motorbikes that suddenly drive up from behind you and whizz past you - on the pavement. You can never relax when walking on a BKK pavement - you risk life and limb!

BKK must be one of the most pedestrian-unfriendly cities in the world.

Exactly! It's difficult to get any exercise even in sleepy Krabi town.. the notion is that in walking.. and I'm a sad sack because I have no vehicle... so.... Get off my street is thier attitude.

I'm often waiting to cross a street.. Some idiot drives slowly.. Getting fatter while he sits in his big comfy truck with aircon.. and doesn't have the manners to let me walk.. Because I'm hot and uncomfortable...and he doesn't care... Idiots.

Thailand and manners are going down the drain.

Be happy

8 minutes ago, seajae said:

need to make it law that anyone caught riding on the footpaths will have their bikes seized and destroyed, its the only thing that will get a reaction, these idiot riders simply  dont care about anyone else. Even in walking markets they ride through the crowds , I have been hit a few times by their handle bars, they are simply too lazy to walk like everyone else. Until the police actually start coming down on these idiots it wont stop, heavy fines and destruction of their bikes is the only way it will be stopped

yes +1

A major financial loss,  is the only thing that will ever get there attention.

Only after you get there attention,  can other corrective measures be introduced  successfully.

Carry on Thailand :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Bournville said:

I'm often waiting to cross a street.. Some idiot drives slowly.. Getting fatter while he sits in his big comfy truck with aircon.. and doesn't have the manners to let me walk.. Because I'm hot and uncomfortable...and he doesn't care... Idiots.

What do you want them to do, cause a traffic jam just because you're "hot and uncomfortable"?

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I do drive on footpaths occasionally when traffic is heavy. However, my position is pedestrians have right of way on a footpath. I stop and let them pass in that situation.

No, you sit in the heavy traffic along with other ROAD USERS. Pedestrians are footpath users, where do you think the word footpath came from? Geez.

2 hours ago, ocddave said:

I would have kicked the bike over myself, surprised the motorcycle even tried running the guy over, one kick from the pedestrian and the bike would be wrapped around a tree or pole. 

Of course you would, another hardman in our midst.

3 hours ago, seajae said:

Totally unrealistic

Fake Thai outrage. 

So many things wrong with this country. 

Thai men who are coddled their entire upbringing and allowed to do whatever they want. "Little Emperor" syndrome. 

Thai people who cannot tolerate conflict and have no learned mechanisms and no functioning systems of law, ethics, morality, ect. for handling conflict peacefully. 

All that's left is for them to fall on the only two systems they have which is

1) hierarchy - who is "bigger" and

2) force/violence when that system fails.

Sad country

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Including teaching children from an early age, step by step about building and maintaining a civil society (and without specific political content). One serious aim being to teach kids that all civil societies have laws for good reasons and they apply to all and their must be  a justice system which is fair to all.

Good points. And add to that basic respect for other human beings. We are all just trying to get by, and live our lives. It becomes so much easier if we respect each other, and show kindness and concern. A pedestrian is very vulnerable here. Watch out for them, and do not mow them down! Basic rules. Common decency. Respect your fellow man. What is so hard to get about that? 

Of course, it would help if there were some law enforcement here. The minimum penalty for driving on a sidewalk, should be a 10,000 baht fine imposed on the spot, or you go to jail, until you raise the money. And confiscation of the motorbike for 60 days, with another 5,000 baht paid to get it out of impound. Strict penalties go a long way toward serving as a deterrent. Of course, the biggest challenge would be to get the government to follow up. Anything Prayuth commands, is done for two weeks, then forgotten. 

Public and traffic safety has to be improved, or else you do not have the right to call yourself a developing nation. Period. Are you on the path to improvement, or are you moving backwards at an alarming pace? I say the latter. 

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

There is a big enough problem getting them off the sidewalks. let alone the streets!

On a more serious note, if it is some kind of mental disorder (I'm inclined to agree with you) then I feel it is doubtful that any sort of re-test would change their attitude. Its more about trying to eradicate the me, me, me attitude, which is presumably a cultural issue. It's way to prevalent to be anything other.

I agree with the me me me attitude . They cut up anyone to get to the front , to save 1 minute at their destination . Then we get the ones ( at least where I live ) who park in the middle of the road as parking further along and walking back to 7-eleven is demeaning / loss of face. Of course it could be that most car drivers are just lazy or think their vehicle will miss them when they have gone.

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

Then he comes out and rides without a licence or insurance and is more of a danger to the public

If I were sent to jail for a couple of years for assault with a deadly weapon, I'd most definitely think twice about doing it again. 

So please explain, how would he become a bigger danger to the public?

3 hours ago, SkyNets said:

When I first came here I was so impressed by seeing younger people give up their seats on buses to the elderly and so on, now they just run them down like a peace of s**t.  

How true, 30+ years ago people (inclduding strangers) being very considerate of others was so very common, in fact standard behavior. I recall many times adults quickly standing up and insisting mothers with little kids sit down or standing up for little kids to sit down and fussing to ensure they were safe and comfortable. Normal everyday behavior. 

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Seriously though, this is society breaking down that we are witnessing. It will steadily get worse the longer nothing is done to encourage respect for others, decency, right from wrong and some discipline. 

But they are bouddhist :annoyed:

can they understand the meaning of Buddhism ?

35 minutes ago, scorecard said:

How true, 30+ years ago people (inclduding strangers) being very considerate of others was so very common, in fact standard behavior. I recall many times adults quickly standing up and insisting mothers with little kids sit down or standing up for little kids to sit down and fussing to ensure they were safe and comfortable. Normal everyday behavior. 

I'd agree, but I think the more relevant idea is that whether past or current, any courtesy Thais showed or show other Thais is GREATLY diminished when they deal with outsiders. 

In my view, if a society cannot treat outsiders with the same grace and care they treat each other with, that is NOT a caring society. 

Thais are courteous to other Thais based almost entirely on fear and who is "bigger" than the other. Because we Farang are outsiders and therefore have no power in their society, their true, primitive, nature shows. 

Not a respectable culture in that regard. 

3 hours ago, ocddave said:

The "me, me, me attitude" is pretty much the mental disorder in question, its a Me First mentality, even if it makes no sense. I can be a 100 yards from stopping at a red light, and only one car behind me, that driver behind me has to quickly cut around me and get in front.....at a red light?!?! Waiting until they are feet from a highway exit, then quickly cut the wheel from the MIDDLE lane to cutoff cars exiting from the proper lane?!?! Changing multiple lanes at warp-speed in heavy traffic (just to get one car ahead?), and not even consider using blinkers?!?! I really don't want to die because of an ignorant/arrogant Thai driver with the brains of a fruit fly, who can't even figure out his own life is in danger, let alone everyone else around him.

Maybe you should park it, driving here seems to upset you greatly. Life's too short to get all worked up over the actions of others. 

Just try taking a stroll through the Indochinese market (Thalat Ta Sadet) in NongKhai sometime, it is a covered street that is lined with small shops of all sorts and is promoted as a walking street market, but walk through there on any given day and you will have to continually look over your shoulder or risk being run over by motorbikes, some of which will beep their horn at you if you do not move out of the way quickly enough.

And if you try to take a leisurely walk along the newly built river front walkway along the Mekong you had better be alert enough to dodge the speeding motorbikes...and they are also on the bicycle paths...it doesn't matter how many signs are put up forbidding motorbike or car access, or how many barricades they need to move aside.

I have seen ever increasing amounts of red light cameras and speed enforcement cameras installed on the Highways and Streets of Thailand in the past few years...why don't they start using the same type of technology to ticket the illegal sidewalk riders?

5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Seriously though, this is society breaking down that we are witnessing. It will steadily get worse the longer nothing is done to encourage respect for others, decency, right from wrong and some discipline. 

I've lived here for 20 years, permanently for the last 10 years, the last several years I have witnessed a fast decline in social behaviour, Thailand has become a lawless country.

No one has any respect for others, now it's a "do as you want" country.

Corruption, ineffective police force, ineffective government, public scratching a living.

It was an okay country, now for many reasons it most certainly is not!

4 hours ago, ocddave said:

I can be a 100 yards from stopping at a red light, and only one car behind me, that driver behind me has to quickly cut around me and get in front.....at a red light?!?

nah u need  more training, what you do is see  that the right turn lane is  empty and create  your own personal straight  on lane and blast off  from the lights

4 hours ago, neeray said:

The rider apologized and said he was angry that he had been warned not to ride on the footpath. 

He agreed to pay the victim - named as Sasawasu - 5,000 baht and pay for his hospital expenses too. 

The police also intend to prosecute the rider for riding on the footpath and for reckless endangerment. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

All Good:

Sentence #1 The rider was forced to eat crow by apologizing.

#2 The payouts will hit him where it hurts (and his big ego too).

#3 Prosecution ... Good, police doing their job, and more lessons to idiot motorcycle driver.

The guy should be glad he didn't hit some Chinese. Then, he'd be looking at hard time.

5 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

The real problem here is that in Thailand many, if not most, males under the age of 45 have the education of a dog. Look around you. The anthropomorphism is striking.  

I used to have one of those but they're expensive to run.

Archived