US Embassy accused of delaying issuing sick child’s passport

geovalin

An american citizen has blasted the US embassy in Phnom Penh for allegedly not following due process after an application to register the birth of his child has held up the issuance of an emergency passport for his sick son, delaying his treatment in the US.

Phillip Roth, who lives in Phnom Penh with the Cambodian mother of his child, on Wednesday accused the embassy of not following its procedures and delaying the application process as he tries to get his sick son, Alexander – who he said almost died – to the US for treatment.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/us-embassy-accused-delaying-issuing-sick-childs-passport

It's ridiculous the hoops the US Embassy makes you jump through.  I'm a US citizen very slowly filling out the very tedious on-line DS 160 form to apply for a tourist visa for my Thai spouse. I've been working on it for days--so much detailed information that is demanded.  The form itself is a nightmare--it times out after a few minutes even while you are working on it and you have to sign back in again--another ridiculous, tedious process that alone takes 5 or 6 different steps.  And, getting the blasted form done is only the first step in the process.  Merde.  Guess I've cooled off enough to make another stab at the form. Now, where's my 10 digit application number code?

On 2/15/2019 at 6:01 PM, newnative said:

tedious on-line DS 160

It’s not all that bad I’ve filled it out but first gathered all the information. Sometimes loading the passport picture can be problematic.

As far as the DNA testing sometimes the officer feels it necessary. 

I was at US Embassy Guangzhou a Chinese lady mid twenties with a newborn. The father wasn’t there and the officer asked where is he? In Germany she said but doesn’t know where. She was immediately told have to get a DNA test.

Was told by an officer the reason the US is sometimes overly strict is because once your in they don’t track foreignors like China.

I was there because my wife was denied a visa 2 times and would’ve been 3 if I didn’t make go and discuss with Consulate The Officer thought the invitation letter was fake.... no I wrote it. 

She got her visa 

i found a little puzling the OP saying US doesn’t give monetary support. If he’s taking the child to US for medical treatment it’s 

not going to be cheap. To get any kind of aid it’s going to take time,

Hopefully it works out and the child gets healthy 

Article doesn't specify but I suspect that "official" who called him was one of the Embassy's Cambodian employees. Corruption among US Emb local staff is rampant and has been for years. If so, good on him for bringing it to light.

The American staff rotate in and out and by the time they get any idea what is happening they're already packing for their next post. So on and on it goes, deeply entrenched. From time to time people get caught and fired but it doesn't take long before the rackets start up again.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived