NewGen Airways ground staff disciplined after rant at Chinese tourist

webfact

NewGen Airways ground staff disciplined after rant at Chinese tourist

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

NewGen Airways has issued a public apology for the actions of one of its staff after the woman had an expletive laden rant in Thai with a Chinese passenger over a cabin baggage dispute.

The Chinese tourist bound from Don Muang to Guiyang wanted to carry on a 13 kg bag even though the airline's regulations state the limit is 5 kg. 

The flight on Tuesday morning was delayed for 15 minutes as the ground staff and the tour group leader spent half an hour remonstrating with the passenger. Eventually the bag was loaded for free in the hold.

The rudeness of the staff member was paramount in footage viewed by thousands.

The airline said on their fan page that the actions of the staff member were "inappropriate" and they apologized saying that it will not happen again. 

They said that they had not been idle in facing their responsibilities and the staff member had already faced internal disciplinary procedures. 

They said that the weight limits on carry on bags were for passenger safety in the event of an emergency. 

NewGen (originally called Sabaidee Airways) flies to 30 destinations in China from several Thai airports. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-15

Ugh, how about blaming the passenger who decided to circumvent the generally well-known rules made by cut-priced airlines about baggage weight? Stowing it in the hold for free has just reinforced their behaviour. 

Nothing worse than flying those cut price airlines and seeing people absolutely taking the piss with the size of their cabin luggage because they're too cheap to pay for a checked in bag. 

One of my pet hates & one reason I avoid travelling on budget airlines.

It is time that all airlines started enforcing the IATA guidelines & checking size & weight (7 Kg)

of cabin baggage.

Apart from the inconvenience of disembarking it is very dangerous.

In the event of heavy turbulence the overhead lockers open & a 20 Kg bag becomes a lethal weapon & before you say "rubbish" I witnessed it on a short flight Bangkok/Singapore 

where heavy turbulence did just that... 2 hostesses taken to hospital & a guy with a broken neck

who had been hit by a flying bag stowed in the overhead lockers.

Also an aborted take off can cause worse damage

Man.....I was a long haul flight attendant for many years. I have tried, just now, to imagine a worse job in the airline business than flying in and out of China exclusively.

Can't do it. Can't imagine it at all.

In general, Chinese passengers are the worst I ever saw. Japanese were the best.

3 hours ago, Cereal said:

Man.....I was a long haul flight attendant for many years. I have tried, just now, to imagine a worse job in the airline business than flying in and out of China exclusively.

In general, Chinese passengers are the worst I ever saw. Japanese were the best.

Well for 12 years I flew in and out of China and internally in China and the passengers no worse than anywhere. But many of these folks are more worldly more aware of behaviors.

However newly monied Chinese never been past the local Chinese Walmart (yes they exist, along with several other foreign hypermarts) are a different item and have no idea of what behaviors are appropriate.

If we looked at some history other races have had their moment.

You say Japanese are the best, well ask some Japanese female flight attendants about being regularly touched inside their thighs and more by male Japanese passengers. 

30 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well for 12 years I flew in and out of China and internally in China and the passengers no worse than anywhere. But many of these folks are more worldly more aware of behaviors.

However newly monied Chinese never been past the local Chinese Walmart (yes they exist, along with several other foreign hypermarts) are a different item and have no idea of what behaviors are appropriate.

If we looked at some history other races have had their moment.

You say Japanese are the best, well ask some Japanese female flight attendants about being regularly touched inside their thighs and more by male Japanese passengers. 

And let's not forget the not all that good behaviors and attitudes of cabin crew, including many international carriers....

In North America 10kg, most airlines here 7kg, this company 5kg. Nothing to do with safety. Everything to do with forcing passengers to check luggage at extra cost (although this time done at no charge). That said when you fly an LCC you have extreme limits/rules.

6 hours ago, Cereal said:

Speaking of the Japanese . The Japanese are the best person for politeness and rule adherence. Best customer a business would want. They are non confrontational in nature and take out their angst in other outlets. I just checked into a best western hotel in Yangon yesterday. At the checkin counter, I saw a Japanese lady presenting a box of chocolates to the myanmarese manager for some favour she did for her. Great show of appreciation. Japanese customers are a delight for all businesses all over the world. Unfortunately the world does not revolve around the Japanese customers only. 

20 minutes ago, Ulic said:

In North America 10kg, most airlines here 7kg, this company 5kg. Nothing to do with safety. Everything to do with forcing passengers to check luggage at extra cost (although this time done at no charge). That said when you fly an LCC you have extreme limits/rules.

Just a carryon cabin bag with rollers already weight 3-4 kgs. A 5 kgs limit is only relevant for those laptops, plastic bags . A day or short trip traveler can’t do much with the 5 kg limit. 

6 hours ago, cracker1 said:

"They said that the weight limits on carry on bags were for passenger safety in the event of an emergency"

I would like to hear an expanded explanation of this statement ?

During an emergency, aren’t we supposed to abandon our bags in the luggage compartment as being informed ample times? 

6 hours ago, cracker1 said:

"They said that the weight limits on carry on bags were for passenger safety in the event of an emergency"

Me too. I think it's just BS.

British Airways (OK - not a short-haul budget airline) has a 23kg limit on cabin baggage (economy class). I'm pretty sure that BA has equal or better safet regs than NewGen Airways.

9 hours ago, Ulic said:

Seems to be the case... if it was about safety, it wouldn't be only the budget airlines that do it.  If it was about safety, it wouldn't have only become a "thing" right around the time of the beginning of airlines' nickel-and-diming... (unless it was around more than ten years ago and I just didn't hear of it).

18 hours ago, cracker1 said:

It's not rocket science. The overhead lockers are built to carry a certain load, and not collapse under the aircrafts rated g-limits, probably +4/-2g. Under 4g a 5kg bag weighs 20kg, a 7kg bag weigjs 28kg, and a 13kg bag weighs? Yes, you got it, a whopping 52kg!

Now imagine two rows of 3 passengers each, all with overweight bags in the locker overhead, let's say 10 kg each. That's 60kg, under 4g becomes 240kg. The locker is only rated to 6*7kg*4g = 168kg. What happens to the excess 72kg? It breaks the locker, and dumps the contents (240kg!) on someone below.

Not all aircraft lockers are equally strong, and I have used the 7kg limit. An A380 may be able to take 23kg, an ATR or a Caravan can not, and possibly budget airlines with denser seating patterns use weaker lockers.

There is of course a designed-in safety margin above and beyond the rared limits, but - In a real emergency, the aircraft may well sustain g-loading well over the rated limit. Something will definitely break!

I will not bore you to death with the small matters of loading, weight and balance, suffice it to say it is well within the capabilities of overweight, in all senses, passengers and their baggage, to render an aircraft unsafe if rules are ignored.

18 hours ago, Cereal said:

.... and now the Indians are coming!!!

14 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Me too. I think it's just BS.

British Airways (OK - not a short-haul budget airline) has a 23kg limit on cabin baggage (economy class). I'm pretty sure that BA has equal or better safet regs than NewGen Airways.

NO They DON'T British Airways have a 23kgs Limit on Hold Baggage.....Go 1kg over that & They'll charge you 60.00 GBP....

On 2/15/2019 at 9:32 AM, webfact said:

The Chinese tourist bound from Don Muang to Guiyang wanted to carry on a 13 kg bag even though the airline's regulations state the limit is 5 kg.

No need for apologies here 

Chinese is wrong 

But Thailand is to scared to lose this first class quality tourist 

If that was a farang there had been no apologies for sure 

On 2/15/2019 at 11:08 AM, SammyT said:

Ugh, how about blaming the passenger who decided to circumvent the generally well-known rules made by cut-priced airlines about baggage weight? St

Exactly. The airline was wrong to buckle to a customer knowingly trying to circumvent the airlines rules. It leads to other customers 

trying to do the same. 

I don’t like the rule but if I choose to fly on budget airline I go by 

their rules.

Archived