Jaywalkers ignore Pattaya traffic lights, for good reason

Rimmer

Jaywalkers ignore Pattaya traffic lights, for good reason

image.png

PATTAYA:--With most of the city’s pedestrian-crossing lights broken for the past decade, Pattaya’s tourists can be forgiven for jaywalking.

That hasn’t stopped some locals from complaining about those crossing against the light on North Road by the Terminal 21 shopping mall. They say it slows down traffic and risks accidents.

The signal – which allows people to cross the busy thoroughfare to catch baht buses headed to Sukhumvit Road and the Pattaya Bus Station – actually does work. But the 15-second delay before the light changes to green apparently is too long for many visitors.

Of course, frequent visitors to Pattaya probably just assume the light is broken, as so many are. A random check on Beach Road found one of two lights broken with a police officer doing the work of a mechanical light outside the Soi 9 police station and Central Festival Pattaya Beach.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/jaywalkers-ignore-pattaya-traffic-lights-for-good-reason-246269

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-15-02--

56 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

On a bike, I DAREN'T stop unless the road is clear, because I know the traffic behind me won't.

Its no different driving a car, if I stop, nobody else does, especially bikes, just makes it even more dangerous for pedestrians! :shock1:

I no longer stop when the lights are changing to Red(If they are red already,I stop)twice I have stopped when the lights changed to red,twice someone went into the back of me.My partner(Thai) explained that they expect me to run the red light,so they were not prepared for me to stop. 

Some time ago, a little while after the pedestrian crossings were installed along Beach Road, it was found that Thai drivers totally ignored the RED stop light.

The high tech answer to this issue was to have people standing at the crossings waving a red f lag when the drivers were supposed to stop on the RED.

However, after a period of time, these gainfully employed people were removed from this duty and the lights were left to fall into a state of disrepair through lack of Maintainance / lack of funds etc

If you are going to stop at the pedestrian crossings first slow down and put on hazard warning lights before stopping . This seems to work for me.

11 sets of pedestrian crossing lights between soi 6 and Walking Street, 7 of them malfunctioning.  I've just counted them.

Why can't the authorities get a few of their staff/contractors trained on fixing them? The electronics are probably modular, and hardly rocket science.

Given that cars don't stop, it's all fair?

I was on beach road:
Pressed button
Waited for light.
Watched the cars go thorough the red light until one stopped
I started to cross
Peeked behind the car and pulled head back in time to avoid being hit by Speedy Gonzales on his motorbike.

It's safer to cross when there is no light. Moving cars are less of a blind spot.

Yup, many moons ago I was crossing Asoke in BKK at the light near Rutnin hospital (they were working back then). Two lanes of cars in both directions had stopped.

Safe to cross? Of course not I just got to the middle of the road when a bike taxi (with passenger) buzzed up the middle. He just clipped me leaving a nice bruise, however the resulting direction change made him hit the front of a taxi waiting at the light.

I fled the scene just as the taxi driver had the moto chap in a headlock.

Archived