Pattaya launches random checks to enforce new anti-smoking rules

Rimmer

Pattaya launches random checks to enforce new anti-smoking rules

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya has begun daily random checks around public buildings, restaurants and other public places to enforce amendments to Thailand’s anti-smoking laws that took effect Feb. 3.

Buppa Songsakulchai of the Public Health Department’s Consumer Protection Office, said city hall regulation-enforcement officers are checking schools, public parks, beaches and other sites ensuring that smokers stand at least five meters from prohibited areas.

Promulgated in November, the amendments to the 2017 Tobacco Control Act and a 2018 Public Health Ministry directive extends no-smoking zones in and around government agencies and state enterprises to five meters.

Those caught lighting up in prohibited spaces face fines of up to 5,000 baht. Warnings will be given first.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-launches-random-checks-to-enforce-new-anti-smoking-rules-246273

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-15-02--

11 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

city hall regulation-enforcement officers are checking schools, public parks, beaches and other sites ensuring that smokers stand at least five meters from prohibited areas.

This is great, save the world (Thailand). But how about getting harassed and robbed by transgenders, which is a daily occurense?

4 minutes ago, Vacuum said:
23 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

city hall regulation-enforcement officers are checking schools, public parks, beaches and other sites ensuring that smokers stand at least five meters from prohibited areas.

This is great, save the world (Thailand). But how about getting harassed and robbed by transgenders, which is a daily occurense?

Maybe there could be a radial new regulation to combat this, by making transgenders stand a least five meters away from tourists?

Enforced selectively of course.

34 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

You can do the same to that lady on the pic as what the transgenders do to you....i bet she'll stop them doing it very soon.

42 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

So you think that someone from the public health department should be addressing robberies concerning transgenders ?

I would have though that to be a police matter, different from this what can be done by the health department ?

I get it what people say but is it that hard to understand that different organisations do different things and that one party is working on one thing does not mean that other crimes should not be done. 

These kind of remarks remind me of people attacking the traffic police in my country telling them to catch real criminals (while their job is traffic offences) instead of going after speeding. 

What a hypocritical crusade!
I am a non-smoker but hey there are more important issues to look after.
Instead of hunting smokers under open sky they could look for the chaos on the roads.

They could also hunt for those burning fields and rubbish,the belching black smoke diesel trucks,traffic jams and coal fired powerplants...all of which contribute massively more to bad air quality than a few tobacco smokers ever could.

Do these anti-smoking laws apply to all, or only farangs?

Another ridiculous set of laws, I can't see Thai people being given a warning/fine up to 5K but I guess it happens.   

Now approaching Songkran and then the authorities can concentrate on the road carnage.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Instead of hunting smokers under open sky they could look for the chaos on the roads.

I think maybe the health department and police traffic department may be two separate organisations. Can’t imagine the public health department handing out traffic fines .

Went to one of the Finnish restaurants behind Big C Extra over a week ago. Found the interior festooned with No Smoking signs in a place with a completely open frontage. Everyone was sitting outside at the handful of big tables. Inside had two customers. I can see the Finns co-operating on this new clamp-down. Not!

One of the staff said the threatened fine is 20,000 to the Finnish owner and 5000 to the customer. Betcha Thai owners aren't worried. The proof was in a nearby Thai owned place with similar setup serving westerners. No signs, no worries. 

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

non smoking areas are more important than idiots on motorbikes or vehicles that do NOT stop for people on pedestrian crossings..... or the illegal undertaking remember we are in Thailand....

16 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Are condo buildings considered public buildings? i.e. How far from an entrance door of a condo building must smoking be prohibited?

Obviously you have not or cannot read the regulations 5METRES and yes.

13 hours ago, bkkbudddy said:

Greetings, 

Please check Panda, Palace and Tantra Bars in Walking Street!

Just go to all the bars in Pattaya, as a friend and owner who I asked which part of  bar is non smoking he told me you can smoke anywhere here I told him about the regulation, he just said who going to enforce it.  Maybe if the owners of the buildings, bars, condos etc. were fined 100,000thb then maybe their attitude would change. Me I've heard of a bar in Soi Diana that is non-smoking looks like it's going to get my business

Would have thought underage kids riding motor bikes with no crash hats is something to do with public health, am sure whilst this lot are hiding behind dust bins ready to pounce on puffers that those kids will be belting past with noooo ploblems.. ????

As usual they make a big bunch of hoohaaa / hype out of these insignificant issues like the above.  How about rounding up the 850,000 Thais who have arrest warrants out for them?  ohhh no... thats too difficult to tackle.. keep that one in the box with the lid closed tight.... shhhhhhhh!! 

Archived