Attacks Fail To Dent Tourist Revenue

Thai-Spy

An item from the paper today:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=117052

Thailand’s income from foreign visitors this year should be on course to hit the 900-billion baht target, Tourism Minister Suvit Yodmanee said Saturday – the same day three western nations and Japan warned of possible terror attacks in the Thai capital. ... Mr Suvit expected the tourism industry to generate a revenue of 900 billion baht this year, growing from 800 billion baht in 2006. He said most visitors would come from Malaysia, Japan, Korea, Germany, Britain, Sweden and Norway.
That 12.5% increase looks very good at first glance. But is it real growth? Doesn't it more or less correspond to the amount by which the baht has strengthened recently? If you are a foreigner and price (budget for) your holiday in your local currency, of course your holiday adds a higher value in the destination currency when your home currency weakens.

And further, since tourist arrivals this year will actually increase over 2006, doesn't this infer that spending per-tourist will actually decline on average?

Meanwhile, he said the government would set up a one stop service centre at Bangkok’s new international airport to help tourists who are cheated by dishonest traders. The centre will have multi-lingual staff.

How does it help anything to have to drive to the airport to get satisfaction in a retail trade dispute?

Unfortunately, I think he's right about the increasing tourist revenue. Here in Hua Hin the growth of both long-stays and tourists is phenomenal and shows absolutely no signs of abating. We can only hope for a change in that situation, but I don't have my fingers crossed. A critical mass has arrived and now the real influx begins!