Drill speed advice please.

malt25

Hello all. Some advice please.

I'm not sure if such a product exists, but here goes. I have a good quality power drill. No speed selection, just variable speed via trigger. In most applications this is fine. Sometimes I use the drill in a lever operated press. In this application I need 2 hands. One to operate the lever to lower the drill & the other to hold piece being drilled. Yes, I know I should have it clamped but not always practical. When the trigger is fully depressed & held "on" with the button, the speed is at maximum. This is not always ideal for various reasons.

I'm wondering if there is such a product that I can use to control the drill speed ? Maybe something I can plug into the power outlet & then plug the drill into. If we were talking volume it would be an attenuator... I think !

Would appreciate any advice, suggestions. Maybe a product name or description I can look for on Lazada if not available locally.

Thanks all in advance.....     Mal.

Years ago I bought a cheap Clinton bench drill press like this https://www.lazada.co.th/products/12-drill-press-clinton-zj4110-i240310392-s368503002.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.61e433f3npGl5n&search=1.

from Lazada.  It's only 3 speed and you have to move the belt to control the speed, but does the job every time.  The price of this one is 2490 baht and is available in Thailand  with free delivery.   I think that it's better than rigging up a "Rube Goldberg" contraption and sits on the bench in my workshop so that I can just go out and use it at any time without having to "build"  a press.

3 hours ago, wayned said:

Years ago I bought a cheap Clinton bench drill press like this

Yup, whilst looking for a drill stand (and being scared by the prices) the man in MegaHome showed me that exact machine (Chinese, branded Zinsano, 5 speed and blue), I think it was about 3k on offer at 1,900. It's soo much more convenient than a regular drill in a stand.

Along with my cheap Chinese lathe it makes many tasks much less hassle. Now how do I get that milling machine past Madam?

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Now how do I get that milling machine past Madam?

You missed your chance.  Two days ago was valentines day and you could have told her you needed it to make a valentine gift for her.  Is her birthday coming soon?

1 minute ago, wayned said:

Is her birthday coming soon?

August 12th, nice and easy to remember and a public holiday too.

The lathe got me in a bit of trouble, until it was used to fix one of the water pumps. Now it's tolerated.

Naaahhh, what you do is order the machine you want, then tell her they sent the wrong item but as its useful and more expensive than the drill bits you ordeted you are gonna keep it anyway ! ????

Worked a treat for my new tablesaw ! Errm..I mean jigsaw....lol

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Naaahhh, what you do is order the machine you want, then tell her they sent the wrong item but as its useful and more expensive than the drill bits you ordeted you are gonna keep it anyway ! ????

Nice try, but don't show her how to use it.  The first thing that she might make is a baseball bat and use it on you!

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yup, whilst looking for a drill stand (and being scared by the prices) the man in MegaHome showed me that exact machine (Chinese, branded Zinsano, 5 speed and blue), I think it was about 3k on offer at 1,900. It's soo much more convenient than a regular drill in a stand.

Along with my cheap Chinese lathe it makes many tasks much less hassle. Now how do I get that milling machine past Madam?

How have the belts held up?

5 hours ago, wayned said:

I'vw had mine for 15 years and have never had to change the belt.

Not had either machine anythink like that long, but with the less-than-industrial use they get I don't expect to be replacing belts (the lathe came with a spare anyway).

Archived