BANGKOK 24 March 2019 22:02
keysersoze276

Warned at DMK on my 4th entry- 2 SETV's and 2nd Visa exempt by air

And as I've already stated, other countries are getting in on the act too. Myanmar is starting to scrutinize arrivals a little despite tourism going down and since 2017 so is Cambodia. 1 year extensions without documentation such as a work permit are no longer possible. Now you get a 6-month visa and have to leave the country after that. Previously one could live in Cambodia, one year at a time without ever needing to leave the country - this is no longer possible if you don't have a job or aren't retired.

18 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

And as I've already stated, other countries are getting in on the act too. Myanmar is starting to scrutinize arrivals a little despite tourism going down and since 2017 so is Cambodia. 1 year extensions without documentation such as a work permit are no longer possible. Now you get a 6-month visa and have to leave the country after that. Previously one could live in Cambodia, one year at a time without ever needing to leave the country - this is no longer possible if you don't have a job or aren't retired.

In another thread in the past week, there was a Khmer Times article on Cambodia's rating for international retirement destinations, and that article mentioned Cambodia having a 3 year visa designed to attract retirees.

That's something I have/had never heard of re Cambodia before. But when I challenged on that point in the thread, at least one other poster came along and claimed such a visa is available for payment of some fee, but provided pretty much no other details.

Pretty much the only chatter I've heard here lately re Cambodia is about things getting tougher there re visas and staying, not that they have some kind of 3 year retirement visa option.

37 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Thanks Tom you just proved my point....

There is no reason on Gods green earth Burma should tighten visas..They have very few tourist compared to other countries....

This tightening order is coming from some NGO non governmental organization..

Edited by fforest1

OMG...this reminds so much of the nightmarish visa regimes in places like China and I guess N Korea...thx God, and I am not even religious, but here in Philippines I have been coming up on 36 months consecutive stay with 2 months or 6 months extensions at one of the many immigration offices scattered throughout...never had a single question throw at me, and couple of times overstayed without any problems...Thailand...BRRRRRR...one of the many reasons I hope never to be back...last visit was 10 years ago...Philippines ROCKS!!

Francois Williams - YT

8 minutes ago, Kaitangsou said:

OMG...this reminds so much of the nightmarish visa regimes in places like China and I guess N Korea...thx God, and I am not even religious, but here in Philippines I have been coming up on 36 months consecutive stay with 2 months or 6 months extensions at one of the many immigration offices scattered throughout...never had a single question throw at me, and couple of times overstayed without any problems...Thailand...BRRRRRR...one of the many reasons I hope never to be back...last visit was 10 years ago...Philippines ROCKS!!

Francois Williams - YT

lol.....I hear you....

On 2/16/2019 at 12:07 PM, Tomtomtom69 said:

In Cambodia, You just need a work permit - not a "job" - from what I was told.  Though that does make it cost about $600/yr - so a bit higher than Vietnam, now.

Can you imagine Thailand giving you a 6-mo Visa to get your documentation together?  Cambodia's "tightening" doesn't even rate on a Thailand scale.

Edited by JackThompson

On 2/15/2019 at 3:35 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The OP didn't specify the time relations between his various entries -- whether they were all back-to-back, or whether he had any extended time away/back in his home country or otherwise outside Thailand.

If they were all back to back or in close proximity, I'd imagine the IO was simply presuming the OP was using visa exempt entries and tourist visas to basically live in Thailand -- which obviously isn't the purpose of those kinds of entries.

If he had done 4 visa exempt entries in a year, each separated by a month or two or more back in his home country, I'm guessing the odds of a problem with Immigration would have been less.

Although there is no legal reason to deny entry for not having "extended time away," even a month or more "out time" and returning with a valid Tourist Visa has not been shown to prevent problems with immigration at bad entry-points, recently. 

On 2/15/2019 at 4:11 PM, KhaoYai said:

Seems fair enough to me - you are in effect, living in Thailand but not using the correct way of doing so. That's exactly what the Thai authorities are trying to prevent.

He seems to be making longer visits with a week or so out each time (cannot hold down a job doing that).  To be lawful, "not using the correct way" would need to be narrowed to a specified reason for rejecting-entry, as listed in the immigration act.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 4:31 PM, fforest1 said:

Thailand is becoming more developed and as such is scrutinizing who is coming more closely than in years/decades past.

Wrong.....

There is a visa tightening going on across the board in many countries now...

Why?

You can fill in the blank....

Thailand is becoming something not even close to "more developed".  Hostile, xenophobic, neurotic, frustrated, intellectually deficient,.. I'll stop now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Cambodia's "tightening" doesn't even rate on a Thailand scale.

Because it's not as developed as Thailand. Wait until it becomes more developed and judge Immigration then.

Don't forget that only 6 years ago people were sending passports to Hull UK for Thai multi entry nonB's, with some business invitation leaflets.

The Cambodian government does not really fancy "barangs" either, as they call them.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

this guy putting the fear of god in to me?   i come i nov. i stay 2 weeks i go vietnam a month. i come back 2 weeks i go india one month  i come back in jan and stay 50 days with one extension.........then i go phill.  and come back for a week and then go home.  done this for 15 years.........i think under no circumstance i would have an issue?  i never stay the full 30 days. thats a plus for me.  also i have a history on computer doing same thing.  i will say that this last time when i got extension at a small immigration office they put a stamp in my passport that says i must report every 60 or 90 days.  (forgot if it says 60 or 90)  i think that was just a mistake by the officer as i dont even plan on staying more than 50 days .   i never stay a full 60.  

6 hours ago, yogavnture said:

this guy putting the fear of god in to me?   i come i nov. i stay 2 weeks i go vietnam a month. i come back 2 weeks i go india one month  i come back in jan and stay 50 days with one extension.........then i go phill.  and come back for a week and then go home.  done this for 15 years.........i think under no circumstance i would have an issue?  i never stay the full 30 days. thats a plus for me.  also i have a history on computer doing same thing.  i will say that this last time when i got extension at a small immigration office they put a stamp in my passport that says i must report every 60 or 90 days.  (forgot if it says 60 or 90)  i think that was just a mistake by the officer as i dont even plan on staying more than 50 days .   i never stay a full 60.  

I've personally never heard of anyone getting pulled aside for 2 SETV's and 2 VE by air.  I was very surprised when it happened.  Others on this thread said they have heard of similar reports, but I don't know if any are for such few entires.  Regardless, I would be shocked if you had a problem.  From what you wrote I don't think anyone could imagine you are living in Thailand when you are spending months at a time outside of Thailand.  It just sounds like TH is your preferred holiday destination to me.  I generally spend most of the time I am given, then go off for a week or two before I come back.  Not a month or two.  Note that the IO didn't look at my passport for more than 30 seconds.  Just counted the 3 previous entries and said I have to talk to his supervisor.  I am sure if this happened to you the supervisor would see you are spending a lot of time in between visits.  Thinking back on it, I could have pointed out to him that I do spend enough time out that i am clearly not working here, but I was more focused on the medical history documents and future appointments.

I think you can rest easy.  If not, maybe we can share a tuk tuk across a land border.  As if that makes any sense whatsoever.  

23 hours ago, lkv said:
On 2/17/2019 at 12:38 PM, JackThompson said:

Cambodia's "tightening" doesn't even rate on a Thailand scale.

Because it's not as developed as Thailand. Wait until it becomes more developed and judge Immigration then.

If they shut us out while they still have poor citizens who benefit from the employment opportunities our spending creates, that would be idiotic.  I hope they are smarter, in this regard.

On 2/15/2019 at 4:39 PM, keysersoze276 said:

Thank you for that.  Seems like I always read about it happening at DMK and rarely at Swampy, but I will heed your warning.  I don't understand the logic here.  Especially people getting visas and then getting denied at the airport.  I personally prefer to fly to different countries and cities and spend a week or so make a nice trip out of it rather than bussing it across a border and back.  And I do mean coming back with the proper visa.  Promised my gf I'd take her to Japan next.  So we would have to fly from Japan to Vientiane or something and take a bus to Bangkok or a second flight within Thailand to be safe?  I just don't get it.

"I just don't get it."

You're living in Thailand on tourist visa and visa exempt entries. Both are meant for tourists, not for people living in country. Get married, visa based on that, and all your problems are sorted.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

If they shut us out while they still have poor citizens who benefit from the employment opportunities our spending creates, that would be idiotic.  I hope they are smarter, in this regard.

Don't keep your fingers crossed 🙂

At the moment, they are lobbying the Japanese. It's all over the monitors in Phnom Pehn Airport as one arrives. One year, two years and three years business visas for them. 40 USD, 80 USD and 120 USD if my memory serves me right.  While for the rest, the tendency seems to be the other way (shorter).

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1