Hypothetical question. Plan B.

torrow

Hypothetical question. Let's assume visa rules suddenly change and I can no longer stay in Thailand. If I threw all my gear into my car, which neighbouring country could I drive to and stay awhile rather than sell off cheap/give away/leave behind everything that won't fit in a suitcase.

11 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Without the right documentation and car passport, you wont be going anywhere.

With the right documentation. Laos or Cambodia are probably the first and nearest. depending on your location.

Thanks. What documentation do I need and can I get it within the 7 days they usually give you to leave the country?

How suddenly do you think visa rules may change? Laos and Cambodia drives on the right, Malaysia and Singapore, on the left like Thailand. That's another option if you need to do a midnight flit.:thumbsup:  As other posters commented, it may depend on your present location in the country.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, ratcatcher said:

How suddenly do you think visa rules may change? Laos and Cambodia drives on the right, Malaysia and Singapore, on the left like Thailand. That's another option if you need to do a midnight flit.:thumbsup:  As other posters commented, it may depend on your present location in the country.

They wont change that quick but this is no way to live worrying about the next extention plus you can always go the 90 day route to sort things

Ratcatcher, i am one that is not concerned, annoyed yes that i have to tie up what is big  money in Thailand for 5 months and 400.000 for 7 months is a fortune to some, my question to Yellowtail was for his view to when it will kick in for a retiree who renews in Dec each year, will it be 2019 or 2020, i would hate to drop it to 750.000 for a day or two and be refused

On 2/17/2019 at 5:46 PM, Almer said:

Yellowtail is my thinking right ?  My retirement was renewed Dec 18 so the new regime will kick in for me Dec 20. Yes or no thanx

No, don't worry about it.

Yes, prepare for it.

Either start monthly transfers or plan on depositing funds in time to allow for seasoning.

Archived