Slipper Clutch CBR250R / CRF250L

canthai55

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

a slipper clutch

Yeah invented in 1953 used in Honda for racing in the 90's, remember a English bike but maybe wrong about that,  which you had to slip clutch manually until it got going forget the make.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

... remember a English bike but maybe wrong about that,  which you had to slip clutch manually until it got going forget the make.

Sounds like the BSA DBD34 Gold Star - the famous 'Goldie'. Whether the 'clutch slipping' was true or just an urban legend, I don't know. Only ever rode one and don't remember having to slip the clutch but that was a well-restored bike in the late 1990s so might probably had some improvements over the 1950s original.

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

Sounds like the BSA DBD34 Gold Star - the famous 'Goldie'. Whether the 'clutch slipping' was true or just an urban legend, I don't know. Only ever rode one and don't remember having to slip the clutch but that was a well-restored bike in the late 1990s so might probably had some improvements over the 1950s original.

All depended on the gearbox.

The full race box that everyone wanted was called an RRT2 box.

Pretty much useless for the road, but everyone still wanted one.

A DBD34 (500cc single) had a top speed of around 110 mph.

With an RRT2 gearbox it could do 60 mph in first....

Hence the slipping the clutch analogy.

Put a normal road A10 (650cc twin) 4 speed box in there, and the bike would be transformed in useability, and a much better ride, but....... would it impress the birds down the pub or your mates down the cafe if you could'nt pull 60 in first with a bunch of clutch slip.

And just as importantly, have those magic letters stamped into your gearbox shell for admirers when the bike was parked up........

Sometime you just gotta have that bling.......

13 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Put a normal road A10 (650cc twin) 4 speed box in there, and the bike would be transformed in useability, and a much better ride, but....... would it impress the birds down the pub or your mates down the cafe if you could'nt pull 60 in first with a bunch of clutch slip.

And just as importantly, have those magic letters stamped into your gearbox shell for admirers when the bike was parked up........

Aaaahhh!! Heard of the Double R Tee 2 'box years ago but, being a Ducati bloke, it wasn't of any real interest. Nice to have these memories resurrected so many years later though ???? .

15 hours ago, MartinL said:

Thanks for the memory BSA it was and as guzzi wrote capable of 60 mph in 1st gear to brag about.

Knew about NR500 racer but I had Norton in mind for some reason. 

13 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I have to admit I know nothing about the bike you write about.

But some time ago I had a Honda VFR400 NC30. 100km/h in first gear at 14,500RPM, about 140km/h in second gear.

That was a LOT of fun!

P.S.: I think my current bike (KTM Duke 390) does not even get to 50/h in first gear - but at least I have a real slipper clutch. ???? 

35 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Aaaahhh!! Heard of the Double R Tee 2 'box

Yeah, thanx - that is exactly how it is pronounced.

You da man  or in proper speak - you do know what you are talking about.

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I know nothing about the bike you write about.

But some time ago I had a Honda VFR400 NC30. 100km/h in first gear at 14,500RPM,

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

A 1958 BSA DBD34 Gold Star pushrod 500cc single will do 100 kph in First.

At 6500 rpm.

At 7,800 rpm it is about to go bang and blow up.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Slipper clutch useful in road racing, or any quick moving bike.

CBR250 used in racing series of its own. CRF would be useful in twisty mountain roads if in SM mode, like mine is.

Good if you like it, wouldn't interest me these days I happy with my CRF in OME form, just a bit of chang to aesthetics does me. 

Archived