Plan to ban alcohol on Thai New Year

Jonathan Fairfield

39 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Ahhh yes.  Condoms are next....to curb prostitution and casual sex.  You know, because banning condoms will help in the prevention of unwanted pregnancy and STD's..............????

Had a load of vodka tonight, can I think about that and get back to you.

????????

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will never work 7-11, etc, will not sell alcohol but all the shops at the back of villages and down the end of Soi's will carry on selling alcohol, the 2 shops down our Soi will sell alcohol, especially to the locals, strangers might struggle to buy some.

Never seen the police down our Soi, so no need to worry.

4 hours ago, LucysDad said:

That is true....... but at least Pattaya has 6 more days of Songkran in which to recover.

Yes, the nation's toilet has the orgy of idiocy running better part of two weeks. This is one day. Zero impact.

They'll just add two more days on at the end. Why not, it already has absolutely nothing to do with Buddhist tradition.

I bet everyone drawn to that dump a second time during the holiday period has an IQ below 90. It's so absolutely stupid.

7 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Anyone with a brain will buy a box o'beer, or 3, before the cut off date. Are they completely dumb? Not that it matters anyhow as some outlet won't abide by the rules.

Not some but most up here in the rice paddies including bars. Not that it matters, wouldn't it be better to BAN motor cycles on these so called 'dangerous' days with something like 70% of deaths are associated with these things?

2 hours ago, bdenner said:

Not some but most up here in the rice paddies including bars. Not that it matters, wouldn't it be better to BAN motor cycles on these so called 'dangerous' days with something like 70% of deaths are associated with these things?

I too live up in the 'rice paddies' and a motorcycle 'BAN' would be really hard to enforce. The police can't enforce the laws of the highways as it is without taxing them even more.

7 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Yes, the nation's toilet has the orgy of idiocy running better part of two weeks. This is one day. Zero impact.

They'll just add two more days on at the end. Why not, it already has absolutely nothing to do with Buddhist tradition.

I bet everyone drawn to that dump a second time during the holiday period has an IQ below 90. It's so absolutely stupid.

Not a fan then......

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Watch this space......... they've gone just about as far as they can get away with on smoking - drinking is next. Same in the UK - you'll all be going to church on Sundays again soon ????.

12 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I hope this comes into effect. 

A perfect way none of the youth will vote for the current guys in the election... 

Tourists will for sure love it, coming here to see songkran and not beeing able to get a drink. 

Must be a TAT approved plan. 

Whats wrong with goinig to Church?

Just another well thought through policy from the complete and utter imbiciles that run this country. Songkran is four days this year. The 13th being the 1st day. So what about the other three days? In reality (a relm non-existent in the tiny, vacuous brains of these morons) every day here is just about as bad as the other throghout the year. If I didn't know better I'd clasify this article as a troll.????

11 hours ago, kickstart said:

It will never work 7-11, etc, will not sell alcohol but all the shops at the back of villages and down the end of Soi's will carry on selling alcohol, the 2 shops down our Soi will sell alcohol, especially to the locals, strangers might struggle to buy some.

Never had a problem in my village - 24 hour service. banned days etc.

13 hours ago, Moti24 said:

Banning alcohol and banning the sale of alcohol are 2 different things.  If the ACC thinks it's going to make a difference, then somebody in ACC has seriously lost the plot.

Bunch of idiots!  Casualties are high on every ****in day of the year!  What they need to ban is the Songkran water festival, and make everybody go to the temple on the 13th to pay respect to their elders, instead of touring the roads and causing mayhem to the law-abiding citizens; I'm sure there must be some law-abiding citizens somewhere.

Yes, I've seen both of them.

12 hours ago, overherebc said:
13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Watch this space......... they've gone just about as far as they can get away with on smoking - drinking is next. Same in the UK - you'll all be going to church on Sundays again soon ????.

????????

Well at least in some cases you'll get a wee sip of wine.

Gives the impression the priest must have been refilling the wine after imbibing in the vestry.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Gives the impression the priest must have been refilling the wine after imbibing in the vestry.

All the wine has to be sampled by the big boss in Rome.

Why do you think they have to carry him around in that big chair. He is 'velcro'd' in at the back.

12 hours ago, 3MagicBeers said:

Instead of banning alcohol outright, why can't the BiB do their job and have a heavy concerted effort nationwide on Songkran to check, stop and ban drunk drivers? 

Because most of them are drunk too...........

How about enforce DUI laws with checks and actual penalties for offenders?!!? One day sales stop will only make money for the shops the day before. Plus no ban stops sales, just 7/11 and Lotus won’t sell on that day, everywhere else is good to go 555

Archived