Plan to ban alcohol on Thai New Year

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

No alcoholic beverages will be sold on April 13, the traditional Thai New Year, if the Alcohol Control Committee’s (ACC) proposal is approved.

Aint gonna happen round here.

The kids in the villages are already throwing water several days before, and the adults are looking fwd to the first day they can get completely trashed.

The naysayers and goody good govt office personnel with nice cars and nice bank accounts forget that country people, factory workers, people with mundane jobs away from home, all look fwd to the 13th as the start of several days of letting off steam.

And getting drunk is one of the ways.

The only issue is drink driving, sort that out and let the majority of the population have their fun.

Ferchrissakes.

Perhaps if they rethought this and reached out for new strategies. 1) allow bars to stay open later and 2) in exchange, ban alcohol sales during holidays like Song Kran and New Year and other times throughout the year in which statistics show the highest number of traffic fatalities. Institute government run liquor and spirit retail outlets so sales agents would be authorized and held accountable. Also, these outlets could be monitored for opening and closing hours. 

This may seem unrealistic, but not as unrealisitc as trying to reduce alcohol consumption and drunk driving under the current set up.

Mass panic will ensue- I see we are already up to 5 pages of outrage and indignation.

The SALE of alcohol may be banned (good luck policing that ) but the CONSUMPTION is not. never stops Thaigeezers getting their knickers in a twist (panties in a bunch for our Murkin friends) though.

ban driving? Would be smarter. I dont drink anymore so couldnt careless or what about banning New Year? Who cares anyway?

Idiots cant stop illegal burning and in my local area they actually seem to be encouraging it. More substanceless words from lazy childish minds trying to play grown ups but all fighting to wear the dress.

... and woe to any pavement walker being breathised.

gotta bring in those revenue streams.

yet still do not crack down on the motorists who drink and drive. It’s a sham !!! 

Kint on a motorbike who was over the limit zooming down the outside lane like a bat out hell hit me nearly a year ago, Police in their report are saying we are both at fault. 

Yeah right <deleted> is all that about ! 

In so the kint is seeking compensation again <deleted> ! 

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Aint gonna happen round here.

The kids in the villages are already throwing water several days before, and the adults are looking fwd to the first day they can get completely trashed.

The naysayers and goody good govt office personnel with nice cars and nice bank accounts forget that country people, factory workers, people with mundane jobs away from home, all look fwd to the 13th as the start of several days of letting off steam.

And getting drunk is one of the ways.

The only issue is drink driving, sort that out and let the majority of the population have their fun.

Ferchrissakes.

People are not teapots.  They do not need to "let off steam."

21 minutes ago, sahibji said:

i am sorry but what is wrong with Singapore state.

Nothing is "wrong" with Singapore, but they ain't got no sanook!  What would this world come to without nanook, sanook, sanook, mak-mak????

If drunken accidents are worse than usual on a particular day, they could try banning vehicles on the road that day, or better still close all roads and force the population to stay indoors. Or, ban all alcohol in the Kingdom permanently! That would minimize accidents.

Or, another way, they could try to enforce the road rules and actually invoke harsh penalties against transgressors.

I wouldn't really like to see Thailand become like Australia with booze buses lurking around every corner, instant jail, high fines and long loss of license, but the measures scared the hell out of most drunk drivers (I should know) and resulted in a dramatic decrease in fatalities. 

Records show between 50 and 60 per cent of adults get behind the wheel even after drinking. The percentage is even higher among those aged younger than 20 years,

What records are these then?

Another proposal from the Ministry of Silly Ideas.  As usual, a proposal, that won't get off the ground.

I was planning on buying whatever type of beer and or alcohol a day or two before Songkran anyway.  I specifically want a couple of cases of Beer Lao so I’ll probably order it on Thursday anyway because they deliver it to me.  As far as Thai beer and whiskey the little shops will still sell all that anyway alcohol ban or not but I’m still going to warn the family and everyone going with us to make sure that we buy it a day or two early before the festival, which they will probably already be aware of anyway.  

6 minutes ago, tonysilly said:

You think Thai people care about the law? Give me a break!! Thai people don't care about drinking and driving because they are not afraid of dying.  Why you think they drive so carelessly???  

Gray cell ploblem....?...????

16 hours ago, Moti24 said:

Banning alcohol and banning the sale of alcohol are 2 different things.  If the ACC thinks it's going to make a difference, then somebody in ACC has seriously lost the plot.

Making a law and enforcing it are two different things, and never the twain shall meet. They haven't lost the plot. They don't expect it to make any difference at all, but it's the image that counts, as always. They can say they did their best (while doing nothing at all except talk), so their conscience is clear. That's always the way it works in Thailand, about anything.

In the bigger cities they may be able to ban sales but in the villages 

they’ll be selling ..... 

I’m hoping to avoid songkran the in-laws if it’s 6 day holiday they 

turn it into a 8 day drunk fest all day everyday. Just hate to deal 

with it someone over indulges and arguing / fighting starts out. 

After Songkran I’ve gone to the shop that sells ( villages bigger shop) beer ,whisky, soda etc. and told here’s your bill. What? I always pay at time of purchase. The owner says papa bought beer etc.....

I’ve nothing against drinking / having fun in fact if I’m in the mood i

can hang with the best of them. But I know when to stop....

Archived