Plan to ban alcohol on Thai New Year

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually planning on buying at least a case of the type of beer I like anyway at least two days before Songkran maybe even a week or two early just to let chill in the refrigerator for a while before we go out anyway.  Even if this does pass it’s not gonna effect us or really most Thai people because most Thais buy everything for Songkran the day before anyway.  Although sometimes we stop and buy more when we are out there.  Since we gotta buy the water guns a day or two early we usually buy the alcohol early as well.  I’m thinking probably order my beer Lao maybe a week early just in case because none of the little shops that’ll sell alcohol anyway ban or no ban have that kind.  

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

A smarter move would be to ban alchohol sales across the country, on the days in which water is being thrown about, as its the combination that is responsible for so any deaths. That would mean no alchohol in Pattaya for about ten days of course.

It is shocking to read that 50-60% of adults drink drive readily, so targeting that long term would probably be a fairly good place to start on stopping accidents all year round.

People will just stock up prior to the banned dates... getting p*ssed is the national pastime !

Education is the way to go, if they won't self educate then tougher measures will be required.

No way they police cars going the wrong way up a one way street, motorbikes on the pavement ,

jumping a red light etc at normal times, what makes one think that this "law" would be enforced

at a time when the BIB are trying to celebrate the New Year themselves.

Maybe alcohol police like Saudi Arabia  (God forbid)

17 hours ago, Sir Charles said:

Just one day, why not one week especially in Pattaya? 

Last time I checked adults were capable of making their own decisions. We don’t need to live in a nanny state.

Why not ban all comments by TF posters especially Sir Charles? ????

9 hours ago, bdenner said:

Not some but most up here in the rice paddies including bars. Not that it matters, wouldn't it be better to BAN motor cycles on these so called 'dangerous' days with something like 70% of deaths are associated with these things?

Actually that's sort of brilliant.

Just ban all private transport.

Serious

17 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Last time I checked adults were capable of making their own decisions. We don’t need to live in a nanny state.

Why not ban all comments by TF posters especially Sir Charles? ????

No, the solution for Pattaya is lock it down and make Lao Khao the only alcoholic beverage. Make it absolutely free. Leave cases in the streets.

Everyone drinking themselves to death, fighting and killing each other.

Thailand would become the hub of heroism.

This old chestnut surfaces every year just before Songkran, usually closer to Songkran when it is too late to implement it. If they mean to do it why dont they start to work on it's implementation for the following year right after Songkran?

1 hour ago, Spock said:

One giant shopping center with a single party system running the show. 

Didn't go in a shopping centre but found a street of bars with a German bar that sold excellent Flammkuchen and the best Erdinger outside Germany. What more could a man want? Found it on my first day in Singapore when I was eating in a street restaurant, in Chinatown, and a 19 year old fatty sidled up to me and asked if she could share my room for the princely sum of 5SGD.

IME Singapore is party central. 

2 hours ago, Spock said:

One giant shopping center with a single party system running the show. 

And the difference here is???

Aha i see more shopping centres

and the one party in charge has guns and tanks 

14 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Yes, the nation's toilet has the orgy of idiocy running better part of two weeks. This is one day. Zero impact.

They'll just add two more days on at the end. Why not, it already has absolutely nothing to do with Buddhist tradition.

I bet everyone drawn to that dump a second time during the holiday period has an IQ below 90. It's so absolutely stupid.

You must visit a lot to be able to give such a well-informed and detailed opinion. Why?

Brings back memories of their short-lived ban on the selling of fuel between (something like) 01:00 and 06:00 some time ago, as this would cut fuel imports. Of course, everyone just made sure they had full tanks before 01:00. Logic and forward thinking simply do not exist here.

20 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Watch this space......... they've gone just about as far as they can get away with on smoking - drinking is next. Same in the UK - you'll all be going to church on Sundays again soon ????.

What about one of these:-

image.jpeg.438f9eac94e5e43b7fa977d03bc68ec3.jpeg

20 hours ago, Denim said:

So...........huge sales on the 11th and 12th and everyone hung over on the 13th.

Way to go.

20 hours ago, Denim said:

So...........huge sales on the 11th and 12th and everyone hung over on the 13th.

Way to go.

Shops are happy,everyone stocks up a few days before.

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

This old chestnut surfaces every year just before Songkran, usually closer to Songkran when it is too late to implement it. If they mean to do it why dont they start to work on it's implementation for the following year right after Songkran?

But then they would have to form a new committee every month to change the decision that the committee had made the previous month.

1 hour ago, PEE TEE said:

They get wrong again why not ban any vehicles on the roads for that day . haha 

Actually,not a bad idea,it would certainly bring road deaths down to zero,what a 'boaster' for the tourist trade people,and government,probably be made up for the next day,no need to mention that though.

Archived