Health Ministry vows to curb use of dangerous agrochemicals

snoop1130

Health Ministry vows to curb use of dangerous agrochemicals

By The Nation

ecfbd66bab76aa93f2b343b7bde6eaff-sld.jpeg

The Public Health Ministry will do everything within its power to discourage the use of three dangerous agrochemicals, following a ruling that paraquat, glyphosate and chlorpyfiros will be allowed in Thailand for at least two more years.

A day after the Hazardous Substance Committee (HSC) passed a resolution permitting the use of the hazardous farm chemicals, Public Health Minister Dr Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn, said: “We respect the HSC’s decision but we will do what we can to curb the use of these substances.” 

He said the ministry will step up campaigns that all hospitals use only chemical-free vegetables for patient meals. 

“We will also seek to boost public awareness of the dangers of tainted crops,” Piyasakol said. “We will try to make clear to farmers that organic produce is in high demand too.” 

The Public Health Ministry has called for a ban on the dangerous agrochemicals since 2017. 

Several organisations have also urged a halt to their use, pointing to research that shows paraquat, glyphosate and chlorpyfiros are a health hazard. 

Last year, a research team detected high concentrations of paraquat in some areas of Nong Bua Lamphu’s Suwannakhuha district. The findings emerged a year after 102 people in Nong Bua Lamphu came down with Necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease, and six of them died.

Prof Dr Thiravat Hemachudha, a medical lecturer at the Chulalongkorn University, said the HSC resolution was a big disappointment. 

“There is clear research to confirm the danger of paraquat,” he said. 

He said research by the Mahidol University, for example, clearly shows that pregnant women working in the farm sector have a higher risk of paraquat exposure. 

“The research has even found paraquat in their newborn babies’ meconium,” Thiravat said. 

Earlier this month, Thiravat was among three academics who left the committee that is tasked with handling the problem of high-risk chemical pesticides, over suspicions the panel had ulterior motives.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30364202

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-15

so its 4000 farmers that die per year on average from these chemicals. The stats only cover those registered as farmers apparently so i would hate to speculate actual numbers but thats at 8-12k depending on if they do what they say even though they will wait the full 3yrs not 2 and hope all is forgotten.

Where i live the local officials dont care about this and the pm2.5issue. They actually encourage it and funnily enough the people using the chemicals and doing the burning are not locals. They rent up all the land for sugarcane at just 1000b per rai, deplete underground water and contaminate it, take all nutrients from the dirt, hire local kids to spray the chemicals and because the government pricks are those renting out land and tractors, etc they do nothing when complaints are made. Everynight at the moment complaints are made to a taskforce to stop burning and its always the same. They contact the mayor to sort it out and nothings done. Every other town around here does something though.

What i find amazing is that these officials attend all the funarals of locals that have had there lives shortened. If it was a level playing field i would take all the officials lives to protect the innocent but thats me. Im white... I sometimes ponder if ther was no international eyes this country would have no qualms about riding its pesky questioning and overall annoying types. I guess thats pretty obvious though.

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

Everynight at the moment complaints are made to a taskforce to stop burning and its always the same. They contact the mayor to sort it out and nothings done.

Change tactics, burn down the mayors house... he'll change his ideas too !

3 hours ago, 1duckyboy said:

How many people will be damaged by the three chemicals in the next two years?

I won't speak for paraquat, or chlorpyfiros, but none will die from glyphosate, unless a barrel of it falls on somebody's head.  It has a lower acute toxicity than table salt or vinegar, which people freely drink.  A blogger drank a cocktail of glyphosate on TV to prove its safety.

PesticideToxicityChartLargeFlyer3.thumb.png.dcae63849883e9297fafbe8d79ddc1fe.png

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The research has even found paraquat in their newborn babies’ meconium,” Thiravat said. 

It’s really sick that this and other evidence was presented, and they decided that Thai people, and their babies are simply not worth the corruption money.  Lock them up

Archived