Police probe launched after Chinese tourist suffers DCS in ‘try dive’

snoop1130

Police probe launched after Chinese tourist suffers DCS in ‘try dive’

By The Phuket News

1550228128_1-org.jpg

The Chinese tourist, Li Chunjun, 36, was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town. Photo: Chalong Municipality

PHUKET:-- Police have launched an investigation into a Chinese tourist suffering decompression sickness after an incident during a “try dive” tour at Koh Racha Yai on Wednesday (Feb 13).

The probe comes at the request of the Chinese consulate in Phuket.

The tourist, Li Chunjun, 36, was rushed back by speedboat back to Chalong Pier, where EMS workers were waiting for him.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/police-probe-launched-after-chinese-tourist-suffers-dcs-in-try-dive-70399.php#xUlubRpBKLxG562M.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-02-15

was this man learning to dive, if so should be shallow water to ensure he was ok with being under the water and able to breathe normally before being taken down to a depth where this can hit you, really sounds like the instructor/dive master wasnt following the right procedures but hey, this TIT

2 hours ago, seajae said:

was this man learning to dive, if so should be shallow water to ensure he was ok with being under the water and able to breathe normally before being taken down to a depth where this can hit you, really sounds like the instructor/dive master wasnt following the right procedures but hey, this TIT

To make such comments you clearly know nothing about diving.

I am a certified diver, certified to 120 feet, and I can tell you anyone certified to be a divemaster or instructor would never have let this happen.but if this article is accurate it stated he was with a non certified individual...if he was on a diving boat cruise to Racha Yai I wonder what dive shop?? he was with. 

6 hours ago, Bernie622 said:

I am a certified diver, certified to 120 feet, and I can tell you anyone certified to be a divemaster or instructor would never have let this happen.but if this article is accurate it stated he was with a non certified individual...if he was on a diving boat cruise to Racha Yai I wonder what dive shop?? he was with. 

Non-certified can also mean the guide did not have the Thai tourguide license.

I don't know exactly what happened, but reaching conclusions based an articles like these is quite often incorrect. According to the original article he was diving from Racha Yai BTW, so not on a cruise to Racha Yai.

“This try drive was to a depth of about 10 metres led by a non-certified and non-experienced male guide."

Two points:

1. The greatest danger for gas related illnesses is near the surface. The expansion of any gas in your body rises exponentially the closer you get to the surface.

2. "Non-experienced male guide." Nuff said.

12 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

To make such comments you clearly know nothing about diving.

mate, I have been diving for over 40 years, civilian and armed forces, you dont take newbies into deep water on their first dive, sounds like you have no idea, do you even know how it comes about and what he would have had to do to get it, this is why they need to ensure newbies dont panic and breathe normally  under the water and shallow water does that

33 minutes ago, seajae said:

mate, I have been diving for over 40 years, civilian and armed forces, you dont take newbies into deep water on their first dive, sounds like you have no idea, do you even know how it comes about and what he would have had to do to get it, this is why they need to ensure newbies dont panic and breathe normally  under the water and shallow water does that

I am a Master Scuba Diver Trainer. I do have some idea about training divers.

Sounds like none of these experienced 'experts' have spotted or commented on the obvious.

A 'decompression sickness' (DSC) can occur in as little as 10 meters of water if the diver holds their breath whilst ascending. Air Embolism (a burst lung in simple parlay) is also classified as a DCS and is the most likely cause of this incident.

It's one of the biggest risks during early training which is why the 'never hold your breath' rule should be hammered into all trainees.

Just now, Moonlover said:

Sounds like none of these experienced 'experts' have spotted or commented on the obvious.

A 'decompression sickness' (DSC) can occur in as little as 10 meters of water if the diver holds their breath whilst ascending. Air Embolism (a burst lung in simple parlay) is also classified as a DCS and is the most likely cause of this incident.

It's one of the biggest risks during early training which is why the 'never hold your breath' rule should be hammered into all trainees.

Nail, head, hit!

Arterial Gas Embolism

If a diver surfaces without exhaling, air trapped in the lungs expands with ascent and may rupture lung tissue - called pulmonary barotrauma - which releases gas bubbles into the arterial circulation. This distributes them to body tissues in proportion to the blood flow. Since the brain receives the highest proportion of blood flow, it is the main target organ where bubbles may interrupt circulation if they become lodged in small arteries.

This is arterial gas embolism, or AGE, considered the more serious form of DCI. In some cases the diver may have made a panicked ascent, or he may have held his breath during ascent. However, AGE can occur even if ascent appeared completely normal, and pulmonary disease such as obstructive lung disease may increase the risk of AGE.

PADI has try diving program called Discover Scuba Diving. I wonder if that was it. My latest PADI Instructor Manual from 2015 states max depth on open water dives as 12m/40ft. Participant to instructor ratio of 4:1.

https://www.padi.com/courses/discover-scuba-diving

I just wish that every country consulate would be as concern about their citizens as Chinese are...

30 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

PADI has try diving program called Discover Scuba Diving. I wonder if that was it. My latest PADI Instructor Manual from 2015 states max depth on open water dives as 12m/40ft. Participant to instructor ratio of 4:1.

https://www.padi.com/courses/discover-scuba-diving

I just wish that every country consulate would be as concern about their citizens as Chinese are...

6 meters on the 1st dive, 12 meters on the 2nd dive.

I too reckon they mean an air embolism, not bends. The tank wouldn't be big enough for a learner to stay down that long. They would be breathing too heavy on a first dive. Also, I don't think there is a decompression chamber anywhere near Phuket.

49 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Also, I don't think there is a decompression chamber anywhere near Phuket.

Thinking rationally is obviously not your strong point.

Phuket is the center of one of the busiest diving destinations in the world.

There are many decompression chambers available on the Island. One of the people in the diving industry should post shortly with a better idea of exactly how many.

He's a link to just one: 

https://www.phukethospital.com/center/diving-medicine-center/

http://www.y-kiki.com/pdfs/dsd.pdf

Extract from the PADI Manual..

Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) or 'Try Diving' is a method to give people their first 'safe' experience of the underwater environment; the rules are fairly self explanatory.

Lots of people don't know if they want to fork out a large wedge of cash to do the Open Water Course (OWC) and are offered this as a tempter.  Money spent on DSD is then discounted against the OWC fees if they sign up for the full 4 day programme.

In some countries it's seen as a money spinner and rules on student teacher ratios and safe depths are often ignored, which leads to PADI being referred to as Pay And Dive Immediately.

23 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

In some countries it's seen as a money spinner and rules on student teacher ratios and safe depths are often ignored, which leads to PADI being referred to as Pay And Dive Immediately.

Seems that required supervision by a qualified PADI Instructor is ignored too..

If, in fact this was a DSD event.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

In general lung overexpansion injuries are classed as DCI, not DCS.

1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:

My manual says:

1st dive: Confined water (i.e. pool) 6m, realistically there are very few 6m pools.

2nd dive: Open water 12m

The incident happened in open water.

1 and 2 can be done consecutively without leaving the water.

Recompression chambers in vachira, international and Bangkok Phuket hospitals.

Archived