Woodworking in Bangkok, for internship

geconil

Im studying furniture design with the focus on woodworking on the school Capellagarden in Sweden. 

It's a school of crafts and design who is working hard trying to perserve the traditional handcraft culture we have in Sweden. Its one of few schools that still are trying to unify the hands and the mind of the artists/students. Every furniture we design we build ourselves. 

The reason Im writing here is that I have the oppurtunity to do an internship during my time at the school, and I want to take this chance to learn about woodworking techniques and furniture making outside of Sweden. 

Im curious about doing this somewhere outside of western culture and figured Bangkok must have some active wood artists or good furniture makers.

Any ideas of where to look for something like this?

All the best

Doe you speak enough Thai for that?

here in BKK is a whole street dedicated to woodwork, it also has a yearly festival (nothing special-any village has one for its local product) and is near Tao Poon, (MRT stop) in Bang Sue (I think). There are more villages/areas here in Th where also woodwork is the main cottage-industry, logically they are close by woods that deliver the woods. Special is how they make all kind of things from strangely shaped tree-trunks.

Archived