20 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

No.

He lied.

He said the Mexicans would pay for it.

Not the American tax payer.

I thought Mexico was gonna pay.

"we're gonna build a BIG wall - whose gonna pay?"

"Mexico!!!"...........

Hahahaha, everybody and his grandmother knew Mexico was not going to pay for an American wall.

Everyone except Donald FakeTan's voter base.

Still if the wall ever gets built, it keeps Donald Guff's passportless voter base in.

Not so fast there has been talk of using El Chapo seized drug money (14 billion) to pay for it.  Trump has played Pelosi once again - she is senile and needs to be replaced along with Biden and the whole lot of old folks home politicians hanging around and filling their corrupt pockets.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was fast.

Trump's National Emergency Just Got Its First Legal Challenge

WASHINGTON – A consumer advocacy group filed the first lawsuit late Friday challenging President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration, suing on behalf of Texas landowners and an environmental group who say they'll be affected by border wall construction.

The case, filed by Public Citizen in federal district court in Washington, DC, is the first of what are expected to be multiple lawsuits challenging Trump's unprecedented decision to declare a national emergency in order to access $3.6 billion in military construction funds to pay for more sections of the wall he promised to build along the US–Mexico border.

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Trying to take people’s guns would end in a blood bath. Come disarm the state of West Virginia if you doubt me. It was Obama that actually made it a simple 60 vote majority in the Senate to confirm judges if I remember correctly. Now the court is stacked the dems had the chickens come home to roost.

Let this go to the Supreme Court, I think their are some recently appointed judges that might see this in a more favorable light. From what I heard the 9th will give it a glance and then it will be expedited to the Supreme Court basically bypassing them.

the dems started this game and McConnel was smart enough not to go nuclear so if the republicans are ever in the minority they won’t lose the ability to filibuster.

There is no way the green deal would be passed if the dems had both chambers and the whitehouse anyway. 

Just build a wall around West Virginia and let the rednecks do as they wish , who would care !

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

On top of that, is it an emergency anyway?

Authoritarianism.  The person in authority says "it is what I say it is."  End of conversation.

Also, this orange individual who aspires to full authority today said, in the very same session that he made the declaration, "I didn't have to do this."

Just now, tlandtday said:

Not so fast there has been talk of using El Chapo seized drugged money (14 billion) to pay for it.

Hey look, there's money over here!  How about that money over there!

Yes, money exists in various places.  Everyone knows that.  The difficulty Trump is facing is getting congress to approve its spending on a border wall.  Even if there were a huge pile of money sitting out in the middle of the desert that nobody owned, Congress would still need to pass legislation that authorized the spending of that money for a specific purpose.

So it's not that there isn't money somewhere, it' that the public, by a two-to-one margin, doesn't want a wall.  Congress was elected to carry out the people's wishes, and thus there will be no Trump Wall.

5 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Not so fast there has been talk of using El Chapo seized drug money (14 billion) to pay for it.  Trump has played Pelosi once again - she is senile and needs to be replaced along with Biden and the whole lot of old folks home politicians hanging around and filling their corrupt pockets.

"there has been talk of using El Chapo seized drug money (14 billion) to pay for it."

Where did you come up with the idea that the US has seized 14 billion dollars of El Chapo's drug money?

4 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Authoritarianism.  The person in authority says "it is what I say it is."  End of conversation.

Also, this orange individual who aspires to full authority today said, in the very same session that he made the declaration, "I didn't have to do this."

I have a feeling those six words will live in infamy.

And to think, he may have gotten away with it, lol

12 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Yes he did otherwise the shadow President Coulter would have slapped him silly and she still called him an idiot!

'I expect to be sued'- so that's weeks if not years of time in court and the lawyers get rich. Sa-weet.

Also New York state's attorney general, Letitia James, said her office would challenge Trump in court. I wasn't aware that New York was a Southern Border state- reeks of political posturing and yet again more money to the lawyers.

i can't find the exact quote but I think it went along the lines of  'If Moron was a TV series Trump would be the Box Set'????.

17 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

If you think Pelosi is being played by Trump and an imaginary 14 billion dollars, then I would look a little closer to home on the question of senility.

And even if that 14 billion dollars any amount of money is seized from El Chapo, what makes you believe that Trump would have the right to spend it as he sees fit? 

21 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Fake News Emergency.jpg

Maybe the difference is that they were actual emergencies? I doubt any of them said 

"I could do" X "over a longer period of time, I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it faster. I want to get it done faster, that’s all.”

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

It is quite obvious it isn't about the wall anymore. The dems do not want any immigration reform. Full stop. 

As Ms Coulter pointed out , only the most moronic of his base still believe such nonsense.Bannon is now on record as stating that the campaign slogan was just a metaphor , nobody expected an actual wall , least of all one paid for by the mexicans.

It was and is a stupid idea yet Trump cant let it go , he has staked everything on a white elephant and sadly will drag the constitution into the gutter alongside him.

I never paid much attention to Ann Coulter in the past but I think that she nit the nail on the head this time: "Forget the fact that he’s digging his own grave," Coulter said. "The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot."

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Maybe the difference is that they were actual emergencies? I doubt any of them said 

"I could do the wall over a longer period of time, I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it faster. I want to get it done faster, that’s all.”

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook-pm/2019/02/15/trump-on-emergency-i-didnt-need-to-do-this-394933

I've got a pen and I've got a phone - and I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions and administrative actions that move the ball forward. Barack Obama
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/barack_obama_634666

1 hour ago, wayned said:

As far as the supreme court is concerned I would tread softly on that.  It is now a  conservative court and he has invoked his power in a way that has never been challenged before.  I do think that he stepped on his dick when he said that he didn't have to do it but wanted to!

We've seen a dangerous widening of Executive Privilege since Clinton reintroduced its power and used it 14 times. However, what Trump is proposing to do is outrageous in terms of discretionary power of the Presidency. In essence, he is taking a policy issue (where clearly no national emergency exists by any definition), and bypassing Congress to get funding. So, the test at the Supreme Court may not be whether he has the power to call the national emergency (which he appears to have clearly), but rather, does the basis for that national emergency need to meet any litmus tests or minimum standards of reasonableness. Because, Trump's certainly fails on this.

11 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I've got a pen and I've got a phone - and I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions and administrative actions that move the ball forward. Barack Obama
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/barack_obama_634666

I love the pretzels which trump supporters (both of them) twist themselves into to defend the president.

Now, being just like Obama is a defense.

Who woulda thunk?

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

The man is a fool. He does anything for his "base", which is about 35% of voters, and alienates further the other 65%.

He needs a lesson in basic mathematics. That 35% is not going to win him re-election.

If he had two brain cells to rub together, he would understand that he has to broaden his appeal with other voters, though, it's probably far too late for that now.

Fools exist all over the world. But in most countries people don't vote for these fools to be their leader.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

I'm actually looking forward to this. Individual #1 has brought about a direct Constitutional Crisis and he has been advised of this by both Republicans and Democrats. I would wish for an immediate Supreme Court court decision declaring a breach of the Constitutional powers of the Legislative Branch (thus a declaration that he has failed to fulfill his Oath of Office to uphold the Constitution = grounds for impeachment). The storm has gathered more force. Interesting to watch the developing stuff hitting the fan. As I have previously opined, Trump may actually be good for the USA as he is showing the result of allowing the election of someone far out of their depth and what damage can be done.

Obviously you are right. But what do you think would happen if he would be impeached and if he would lose his job?

Would the American voters learn from this and next time vote for someone who is not similar to Trump?

I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, quandow said:

The pussy-grabber-in-chief has not thought this one through. He's operating on the assumption it's "his" supreme court. This is a very clear attempt to abuse executive branch power. Even his closest advisers have told him not to go through with this action, and it's gonna blow up in his orange face.

I agree , the court may now be Conservative but the judges are old school , Trump will get mauled.

41 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

In general, confiscated funds go to the general treasury.   It takes legislation to specifically designate funds to a cause.   I believe there is a bill being considered to direct El Chappo's ceased assets to go toward the wall.   It remains to be seen whether it will gain any traction.   

It needs to be remember that the vast majority of his wealth and property is in Mexico and well outside the reach of the US government.   Any property he has in Mexico will go to the Mexican government.   

Just now, joecoolfrog said:

I agree , the court may now be Conservative but the judges are old school , Trump will get mauled.

Yes he will. The Supremes do never want to see a President become all powerful to this extent. It abrogates everything the tripartite system stands for.

Archived