U.S. quarterback Kaepernick resolves grievances with NFL - lawyer

rooster59

U.S. quarterback Kaepernick resolves grievances with NFL - lawyer

800x800 (7).jpg

FILE PHOTO: San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick prepares to take the field before an NFL game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California, U.S. October 23, 2016. Picture taken October 23, 2016. REUTERS/Loren Elliott

(Reuters) - Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, one of the most visible players to protest during the U.S. national anthem against racial injustice, has resolved pending grievances with the National Football League, Kaepernick's lawyer said on Friday.

The attorney, Mark Geragos, said on Twitter that the resolution was subject to a confidentiality agreement and so there would be no further comment by either party.

Kaepernick, 31, filed a collusion grievance against NFL owners in October 2017 after going unsigned as a free agent through the fall of that season, following his decision to opt out of a contract with the San Francisco 49ers.

He has been unable to find a team to play for ever since.

Kaepernick was among the first of several NFL players to kneel during the anthem to protest social injustice and police brutality.

While player protests during the anthem subsided in the season just ended, the issue came up last month when Commissioner Roger Goodell said Kaepernick was not the victim of a coordinated effort by owners to bar him from playing, but rather just not a good fit for any of the 32 teams.

Kaepernick led the 49ers to the Super Bowl game in 2013, but has not suited up since the 2016 season.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-16

1 hour ago, sgoodes said:

What a sook. 

He needs to remember that actions have consequences.

LOL that guy has stood for more than you ever will in your lifetime. His gripe with the NFL is the collusion between the league owners to shut him out from being able to ply his play simply because of his protest action. Hes better than half the QBs in the league at the moment and the settlement clearly reflects that.

The best bit about it all is all the old white males who get really upset by Kaps actions are the exact same ones who call millennials snowflakes and accuse the millennials of being easily triggered.

"...Commissioner Roger Goodell said Kaepernick was not the victim of a coordinated effort by owners to bar him from playing, but rather just not a good fit for any of the 32 teams."

This is why he's not playing. None of the teams wants to put up with the kneeling. I don't think all the owners decided together not to sign him. 

3 minutes ago, soistalker said:

"...Commissioner Roger Goodell said Kaepernick was not the victim of a coordinated effort by owners to bar him from playing, but rather just not a good fit for any of the 32 teams."

This is why he's not playing. None of the teams wants to put up with the kneeling. I don't think all the owners decided together not to sign him. 

Translation: The  predominately elderly white male clique was incensed when the "help" talked back and were getting uppity. Back in the good old days, they could whip some sense into their boys.  Curse that Abraham Lincoln and his Act of Emancipation, and President Lyndon Johnson with his Civil Rights and Voting Acts.

2 hours ago, sgoodes said:

What a sook. 

Yes, and his actions FINALLY have people becoming aware of the atrocities being brought on brown people in the US.

And for those not aware, Kaepernick has donated $$$millions to this and other issues. He's a good man and this ruling is just a bunch of old white guys sticking together to keep the darkies down.

Kaepernick is an American hero. He was ostracized from a league, that is run like a 19th century plantation. The football players are high paid cotton pickers, with few rights, and it is a domain of super wealthy white men, who do not want to offer their players any real power. If the owners could get away with it, they would probably be whipping their players, like some of their ancestors did on the cotton plantations. And only a few players were courageous enough to make this stand, and they sacrificed their careers for it. Fortunately for Colin, Nike stepped up and gave him a $30 mil contract. Good on them, and good on him for that. You know if the president was offended by what they did, then what they did was the morally and ethically correct position. 

By comparison, the NBA is a league that stands behind their players, and is light years ahead of the politically prehistoric and oppressive NFL. The NFL does not like the color brown. The NBA celebrates color and diversity.

I think with CK, it's more about his personality and locker room actions than it is about the kneeling protests.  I have heard various reports that he is quite arrogant and stand offish ( I know, what QB isn't) and a divisive personality among some of his fellow players. Maybe now its more to do with that aspect.  Problem for him is that the QB market is quite good right now and some good prospects coming out of the draft and free agency, so it looks like he is screwed.  Asking for over $20 to play in the new AAL will not have helped the perception that he thinks too highly of himself.  Bit of humble pie would have helped.  

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I think with CK, it's more about his personality and locker room actions than it is about the kneeling protests.  I have heard various reports that he is quite arrogant and stand offish ( I know, what QB isn't) and a divisive personality among some of his fellow players. Maybe now its more to do with that aspect. 

You pretty much just described 90% if athletes in the league. 

The QB market is as weak as it's been in the last decade. Look at the scramble for backup QBs when a few got injured this year. When Sanchez and Peterman can get backup roles ahead of Kaepernick, you know something stinks.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

He was ostracized from a league, that is run like a 19th century plantation. The football players are high paid cotton pickers, with few rights, and it is a domain of super wealthy white men, who do not want to offer their players any real power. If the owners could get away with it, they would probably be whipping their players, like some of their ancestors did on the cotton plantations.

So how do you feel living in Thailand for so long?

Your description of the NFL pretty much describes Thai Society to a tee (except the highly paid part).

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I think with CK, it's more about his personality and locker room actions than it is about the kneeling protests.  I have heard various reports that he is quite arrogant and stand offish ( I know, what QB isn't) and a divisive personality among some of his fellow players. Maybe now its more to do with that aspect.  Problem for him is that the QB market is quite good right now and some good prospects coming out of the draft and free agency, so it looks like he is screwed.  Asking for over $20 to play in the new AAL will not have helped the perception that he thinks too highly of himself.  Bit of humble pie would have helped.  

I don't know about his locker room attitude, but the QB market is actually quite weak right now; at least half a dozen teams could improve at that position by hiring him. Somebody else here mentioned the Redskins' situation for instance; for reasons that are beyond me, the Broncos just hired Joe Flacco (who actually beat Kaepernick in the Superbowl, but Flacco hasn't had a good year since). So it's more than obvious that something else is going on here ...

1 hour ago, Cory1848 said:

I don't know about his locker room attitude, but the QB market is actually quite weak right now; at least half a dozen teams could improve at that position by hiring him. Somebody else here mentioned the Redskins' situation for instance; for reasons that are beyond me, the Broncos just hired Joe Flacco (who actually beat Kaepernick in the Superbowl, but Flacco hasn't had a good year since). So it's more than obvious that something else is going on here ...

Spot on. The weakness of the QB landscape in the NFL at the moment clearly rebuts the defence that he couldn't make it due to a lack of skills. He is way better than almost every back up and a good portion of starters in the current stock 

9 hours ago, SammyT said:

LOL that guy has stood for more than you ever will in your lifetime. His gripe with the NFL is the collusion between the league owners to shut him out from being able to ply his play simply because of his protest action. Hes better than half the QBs in the league at the moment and the settlement clearly reflects that.

The best bit about it all is all the old white males who get really upset by Kaps actions are the exact same ones who call millennials snowflakes and accuse the millennials of being easily triggered.

funny how he has just settled out of court.  Funny thing principles,  they can be very flexible when you need them to be. 

12 hours ago, sgoodes said:

What a sook. 

Right...the consequence of how the hell to haul all that settlement money to the bank, without even having to play! He crying all the way to the bank with that minimum $60 MILLION. :clap2:

That being said, there are multiple figures around the NFL that have a rough estimate of how much money Kaepernick actually received in this settlement. According to Mike Freeman of Bleacher/Report, NFL team officials are speculating that the former 49ers quarterback was paid in the range of $60 to $80 million. 

Personally, I support his right to kneel and I don't think it was disrespectful. However, I also don't believe there was any collusion. His skills had statistically deteriorated greatly, and the NFL coaches don't give a dam about politics. It is win now or be fired. Of course, there is the distraction factor for the coach to consider, but if they felt the net benefit of having him on the team would strengthen their chances to win he would be signed. 

On 2/16/2019 at 6:37 AM, flyingtlger said:

Kaepernick may have won the battle but I doubt he'll ever play in the NFL again.....

If he played in 2013 and last suited up in 2016 he may have had the average NFL career of five years or less. He just wasn't good enough on the field to counter his attitude in the locker room. It isn't 'all good' when it takes a team effort to win.

Archived