Blood pressure tablets advice needed.. What are the best you can buy in Thailand?

Huayrat

The ones recommended by your doctor after he/she does a medical evaluation of your condition.   So many different types of blood pressure meds like thiazide diuetics, ACE inibitors, calcium channel blockers, and angiotension II types.   Go see a doctor first.

It always astounds me that anyone would ask this forum for ANY kind of medical advice other than "where can I find good medical service?" I've met me, and I wouldn't trust MY opinion. As well, we can't agree on any issues. This kind of advice is for doctors only to give.

Thete are many factors that go into selection of which antihypertensive drug to use. These include age, ethnicity and the presence/absence of other conditions like diabetes and heart diseade.

So yes see a doctor but make sure it is a good well qualified one who is up to date. Nit unusual to find your average Thai doctor still prescribing beta blockers which have not been recommended as first line treatment now for years.

Basically choice of first line drig is going to be a thiazide diuretic, sn ACE, an ARB or a calcium channel blocket.

Personally I am wary of diuretics in this climate especially for westerners who tend to sweat more than Thais. If you jog or engage in sports that cause you to sweat a lot that would especially make it a concern.

If cost is a concern be sure to tell the dictor this and request a Thai brand drug. Sometimes they assume foreigners want imported brands.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, quandow said:

It always astounds me that anyone would ask this forum for ANY kind of medical advice other than "where can I find good medical service?" I've met me, and I wouldn't trust MY opinion. As well, we can't agree on any issues. This kind of advice is for doctors only to give.

I would trust my opinion over most Doctors here in Thailand and that is the reason i have posted.. 

Anyone can give you a medical opinion for free but it most likely will only be worth what you paid for it.  Opinions are best valued based upon the knowledge, experience and thoughtfulness of the source.

I trust my own opinion only when I have educated myself on the matter.  Even then I am at risk of having overlooked some important factor.

Hire a medical professional after you have done the best research you can.

What is your normal blood pressure now?  There are medicines designed to deal with high numbers for both readings...120/80 is normal...140/90 are both high and should be treated by a physcian. 

Also:  Try to give up too much salt.

Avoid Salt (Sodium)

A high-sodium diet increases blood pressure in many people. In fact, the less sodium you eat, the better blood pressure control you might have.

I would not trust any blood pressure readings taken in a Thai hospital unless they let you sit and rest for at least 5 minutes before taking the reading it is best to have the cuff put on before the 5 minute resting time

I take my pressure at home and photograph the result and let them use that I never let them take my pressure

Archived