Tyre shop topped up rear tires to 45 and front to 35

ghworker2010

I raised this thread and learnt a lot from some of the esteemed members of this forum:

I subsequently put 8 sand bags in the back of my pickup and then visited the tire shop where I originally purchased the cheap low quality chinese tires. I told them that last week in the rain I proceeded to overtake at normal speed and my pickup slid (lost control) for a few seconds. Also mentioned that driving fast over pot holes the car is not handling well- feels like its bouncing around a bit / losing control.

They swapped the rear tires and put in the front/ rear in the back. After this I showed them the extra weight in the back and he said that he should top up 45 in the rear tires and 35 in the front. Is this correct?

One of them looked under the back of the truck and suggested I pay 3200 for the gadget in the photo. What is this for? Is it worth the money? 

thanks again

IMG_1610.HEIC IMG_2795.HEIC

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why buy cheap tyres in the first place? As the part of the vehicle usually with the most contact on the road surface why would you want to scrimp? You get what you pay for and ultimately end up paying more. Splash out on a decent set of Michelins. 

My (2005) Ranger 4-door calls for 39 rear, 30 front for full load operation. Check the driver's door for a placard with recommended pressures.

Whatever you do, don't go above the "maximum pressure" stated on the tyre sidewall.

Also, please can you post images using a common codec, like .jpg so we non Apple users we can view them.

Get new tyres (good ones). Tyres just aren't worth trying to skimp on. Take it to a shop that can do a proper wheel alignment and balance as well.

As others have said, follow the recommended psi on your door placard.

If you're still having trouble then start looking at suspension and steering.  

I have a pretty modified pickup and the only time mine loses traction is when I give it a boot. From what you've described though, I'd guess your tyres are overinflated and unbalanced for a start.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

My (2005) Ranger 4-door calls for 39 rear, 30 front for full load operation. Check the driver's door for a placard with recommended pressures.

Whatever you do, don't go above the "maximum pressure" stated on the tyre sidewall.

Also, please can you post images using a common codec, like .jpg so we non Apple users we can view them.

Really?

39 psi rear?

Our 2008 4 door Hilux Prerunner is 29 all round.

OP seems a bit blurry & ignorant of facts pertaining to his own vehicle.

my 4 door triton has 32psi all round as 'loaded' refers to a huge weight and putting bags of sand in the back to smooth the ride is borderline retarded. fuel consumption?? lol

im wondering if OP would be better off on a bicycle or employing a driver/chauffeur...

1 hour ago, ghworker2010 said:

After this I showed them the extra weight in the back and he said that he should top up 45 in the rear tires and 35 in the front. Is this correct?

My take is it doesn't matter what road tyres you buy, comfort always depends on the air PSI within the tyre and the suspension type on the vehicle.

Also depends what Isuzu you have to know would help because there are different model types with different size tyres, I found the 4 door rode better than the 2 door smartcab we bought.

I guess 4 doors are bought as cars in a way where as we wanted a workhorse.

When our Isuzu Hi-Lander is loaded 29 front 41 rear recommended.

When I use just as a car the hard suspension is for heavy work so to compensate 27 front 27 rear with soft Bridgestones it's not a bad ride,

They reckon these are the best shocks for pick ups if there adjustable maybe even better.   

Bilstein (24-186742) 5100 Series Rear Shock Absorber. ...

Bilstein 24-187367 5100 Series Front Shock. ...

24 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Really?

39 psi rear?

Our 2008 4 door Hilux Prerunner is 29 all round.

Vigo's have many sizes of tyres, my 4x4 had 29 PSI all round loaded or unloaded...Other small tyre Vigo's had waaaaay higher pressures.....The door jam tells all for your ride..

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

1 persons weight 75 kg. ????

So 30 all around with no load.

For a 2005 Ford Ranger 4-door 4x4 yes.

Your truck handbook should have the recommended pressures if there's no sticker on the driver's door (our sticker is not visible from farang head height, stooping is required to even see that it's there).

Images for non Apple (cc) users.

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

does anyone know if this is worth paying for?

No one really answered the question if 45PSI is safe with the heavy load in the back

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Hmmmm, I was expecting some sort of leaf extension, wazzit supposed to do?

I think it is designed to transfer/equalize the leaf springs. Almost the reversal of  independent suspension  side to side. Maybe  useful on very  rough surfaces but  can not see it doing  much for traction.

2 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

No one really answered the question if 45PSI is safe with the heavy load in the back

If it's not greater than the "maximum continuous inflation pressure" on the sidewall it will be fine. Might be a bit lively with nothing in the back.

17 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

does anyone know if this is worth paying for?

I think it's supposed to calm down the rear end, reduce body roll and the like.

It may help if you run empty when set up for loads.

Please note - No warranty is implied or inferred by the above post ????

My pickup Isuzu - 10 y old - ( it's a 4x2 ) 4 doors and automatic transmission had Firestone tyres ;

I did 127.000 km with  factory-fitted tires , see photos, they were not yet shabby , have a look

P1060886_old_tyre_Isuzu.thumb.JPG.4880ec0a4d0bb7fad92ad7f23fd96462.JPG

P1060887_old_tyre_Isuzu.thumb.JPG.73ddb92f852c3bcf493263e028558975.JPG

In every  garage in Thailand they want to put 40 PSI in the four wheels even it's written 29 inside one of the door;

even in Isuzu garage in Sawang Daen Din  they were surprised to discover this inscription

679561242_P6100045_pression_pneus_Isuzu(Copy).thumb.JPG.83303f2f1f0c602fbc491e41e675ab33.JPG

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

One thing to  check regularly  is the  state of the shock absorbers. I have found  that they  do not last well. Probably due to the combination of high temps and  so common  rough  roads.

If they are unequal in the front it  can play havoc  on the  ABS response.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I run 40psi all round on my  Vigo. Max psi stated on  tire wall is  54psi.

For some that  might seem a bit high  in the front but I hate  the feeling of  "sledging" on corners.

So what does the door jam sticker say regarding your Vigo tyre PSI...?

Archived