Tyre shop topped up rear tires to 45 and front to 35

ghworker2010

46 minutes ago, akirasan said:

There are several car shops across Thailand that can do this. The two best ones I think are:

ECU Shop - https://www.ecu-shop.com/

Powerlab - https://www.facebook.com/powerlabthailand/

I started off getting 2 piggyback ECUs installed that fit in my glovebox. One controls fuel pressure and boost control, the other is a diesel management system.

It took a few hours to install, then one of the mechanics got me to drive the car while he adjusted the tune to suit my driving style. What we found was it was making too much power and the clutch was starting to slip. So he detuned it a bit until I went back a few months later and fitted an upgraded clutch.

The boost controller has 3 power settings, the dms computer has 2. Even on the lowest settings it's like a completely different car to drive. Overtaking is much easier and faster. Throttle response is much better.

I got mine done at Powerlab, but ECU Shop would be just as good I think. The customer service I've had at Powerlab has been great, they really go out of their way to make sure you're happy. 

Powerlab have a facebook page. They are always quick to respond to enquiries. I haven't used their services though. An isuzu will be dead easy for them to remap.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Car manufacturers are in constant competition to make cars that deliver better economy and power to increase sales. If by simply “chipping” the ecu this can be achieved, I wonder why their engineers whom are no less brainier, don’t do this already in the first instant.
There must obviously be some long term adverse effects.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not exactly correct. The biggest influence on manufacturer's ECU settings are emmissions.  The fuel metering is set to pass the very strict limits on emmissions imposed by most countries on new vehicles whilst extracting the best power and economy from the vehicle.  As such, factory settings are a compromise.

Emmisions limits on used vehicles are often more lenient so it is often possible to extract more power from an engine by changing the fuel metering settings and still stay within the emmission limts for used vehicles.  However, 'chipping' as it is called should only be carried out by an expert as some changes can make a vehicle very poor to drive in normal conditions and may cause it to fail emmisions tests.

The essence of engine tuning is to get more fuel in, burn it faster and get the exhuast gasses out as quickly as possibe. However, as anyone who's ever driven a tuned competition vehicle will know, they usually drive bloody awfully at slow/normal speeds. The degree of 'tractability' and likelyhood of passing emmissions tests diminishes the higher the state of tune.

FWIW my car (Civic RS) is always returned to me from a service at Honda with 45psi all-round. The door jam plate says 30-34 (from memory). I've politely asked them not to do this, but of course they still do. I let some air out as soon as I get home and check the pressures monthly thereafter. TIT I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/17/2019 at 5:35 AM, KhaoYai said:

The essence of engine tuning is to get more fuel in, burn it faster and get the exhuast gasses out as quickly as possibe. However, as anyone who's ever driven a tuned competition vehicle will know, they usually drive bloody awfully at slow/normal speeds. The degree of 'tractability' and likelyhood of passing emmissions tests diminishes the higher the state of tune.

Don't beat me up here but someone should probably mention whether or not "chipping" might void a car's warranty.....not saying I know the answer.

Archived