Thailand’s eVisa On Arrival (eVOA) service is now live

30 minutes ago, VBF said:

My point is that until now one has had the opportunity to apply by post for a Tourist Visa and therefore no need to visit anything except the local post office to send the paperwork off.

Apparently the postal method will not be available soon.

The only place to get a answer about the mailed in application is the embassy. They may work out a way for you to send your passport and other documents with a prepaid return envelope to get it sent back to you by mail. I see no reason why they could not do that.

30 minutes ago, VBF said:

@ubonjoe Do you see any likelihood of this new approach turning into a proper eVisa OR the postal application being reinstated?

There has been info put out that they plan on doing e visas for tourists but I have seen anything about it lately.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The online applications can only be done to the embassy in London.

You will be able to apply in person for certain visas like before at one of the honorary consulates.

That is not correct. There are no walk in applications available in the UK after the 1st April for UK and and Irish citizens. All applications are done through the web portal. If the application is successful, THEN you choose an Embassy or consulate to attend with your hard copy's and get the visa inserted in your passport.
You will not be able to walk in and apply for any visa in the way you do now. All applications will be handled via Bangkok

10 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

That is not correct. There are no walk in applications available in the UK after the 1st April for UK and and Irish citizens. All applications are done through the web portal. If the application is successful, THEN you choose an Embassy or consulate to attend with your hard copy's and get the visa inserted in your passport.
You will not be able to walk in and apply for any visa in the way you do now. All applications will be handled via Bangkok

I think wrong about the honorary consulates not being able to accept the applications.

From the info I have seen there are certain categories of visas that cannot be applied for online.

Not sure where you got the info that they will be processed in Bangkok. Everything I have seen is that approvals are still going to be done at the embassy or consulate where the application is forwarded to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Can't you just step in to local Thai consulate nearest your city after the appointment is set-up, is everything now being centralised to London EMBASSY ?

It is NOT an appointment system. It is online visa application. You will create an account, scan and upload your documents, passport etc. Then, if you are successful, you will make an appointment at ANY Embassy or consulate, take the hard copy's of your documents that you submitted electronically and get the visa affixed in your passport. There is no option for walk in or postal applications as the information is required for you to upload securely direct too the Bangkok based Database. The Embassy has no input or decision in issuing the visa other than declining it if your hard copy's are in anyway different to those which you actually uploaded.
There 'Maybe' an option to post your documents once the initial application has been agreed and the agreement reached to issue you a visa. The London Embassy needs permission from the MFA and Immigration in Bangkok for this too happen. At the moment this permission has not been obtained.

3 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

There 'Maybe' an option to post your documents once the initial application has been agreed and the agreement reached to issue you a visa. The London Embassy needs permission from the MFA and Immigration in Bangkok for this too happen. At the moment this permission has not been obtained.

Do you have any documented proof for what you wrote about. I have seen nothing about such a thing.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I think wrong about the honorary consulates not being able to accept the applications.

From the info I have seen there are certain categories of visas that cannot be applied for online.

Not sure where you got the info that they will be processed in Bangkok. Everything I have seen is that approvals are still going to be done at the embassy or consulate where the application is forwarded to.

The application decision is done by the parameters built in the system which is a databased system running in Bangkok. The Embassy has no input. I'm not sure which categories of visas you maybe referring too? part from maybe some oddball visa, all the categories are built in to the system. Everybody in the UK holding a UK or Irish passport after the 1st April MUST use electronic application.

7 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

I'm not sure which categories of visas you maybe referring too? part from maybe some oddball visa, all the categories are built in to the system.

A OA or OX visa for example. Try it here. https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/LongStay

I got this when tried.

"You cannot apply for a visa through the Visa Application System.Your visa application can be submitted to following mission" 

Well at least they can translate these inexisting laws such as 180 days a year or whatever into database parameters and waste less of people's time by rejecting them at the beginning rather than upon entry. In that respect I feel it's fair.

Edited by lkv

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Do you have any documented proof for what you wrote about. I have seen nothing about such a thing.

The documented proof is on the London Thai Embassy Facebook page. The London Thai embassy tend to get there information out that way, rather than updating there web address frequently.Apart from that, I have first had knowledge of how the system is set up. You can accept what I am explaining or not. I told you 3 weeks before the US stopped the income letters it was going happen but you wouldn't accept it. The same way as I have told you there is a major overhaul in the immigration system which again, you choose not to accept. 
Sometimes it's better to listen what people are telling you instead of putting doubt in others minds of exactly what is happening. The system is designed to stop this swapping of passports and people gaining visas that shouldn't be getting them. Hence the whole system is now linked together via MFA and Immigration. All Thai Embassy's worldwide will eventually need to switch too this system. China switched to the self same system I believe the 15th February for those requiring more than a VOA.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I got this when tried.

"You cannot apply for a visa through the Visa Application System.Your visa application can be submitted to following mission" 

You will need to register then they will ask you to attend if it isn't possible to issue an online decision. Until closer too the time and the portal is actually complete, it's impossible to know exactly which visas can be applied for online.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I got this when tried.

Yes I have just tried it. it gives this and no further info. The portal isn't yet complete

You cannot apply for a visa through the Visa Application System.Your visa application can be submitted to following mission 

6 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Apart from that, I have first had knowledge of how the system is set up. 

Wish you'd share how the system is setup, I like to identify loopholes.

U could also share so that I know what's coming ????

Just now, lkv said:

Wish you'd share how the system is setup, I like to identify loopholes.

U could also share so that I know what's coming ????

There are no loopholes in the system. If you attempt to lie to it, it simply picks up on the next stage of application. It simply doesn't allow you to apply without the correct documentation in front of you which you then upload to the system electronically before you submit it. If by chance you managed to cheat the system in to issuing the visa, it would be picked up on when you attend to get the visa affixed and your hard copy.s are checked.

Just now, Lovethailandelite said:

There are no loopholes in the system. If you attempt to lie to it, it simply picks up on the next stage of application. It simply doesn't allow you to apply without the correct documentation in front of you which you then upload to the system electronically before you submit it. If by chance you managed to cheat the system in to issuing the visa, it would be picked up on when you attend to get the visa affixed and your hard copy.s are checked.

I mean in regards to parameters like how many visas in a certain timeframe or limits in total duration of stay per calendar year, which would make the system reject an application. That sort of thing. 

Or they're not bothering with that?

7 minutes ago, lkv said:

I mean in regards to parameters like how many visas in a certain timeframe or limits in total duration of stay per calendar year, which would make the system reject an application. That sort of thing. 

Or they're not bothering with that?

If I knew that I would tell you, but I don't know that because I had nothing to do with the programming side, and again, the immigration database is linked in. I only know how the system works, and which Tech was involved in the build (UK, US, France, and Germany) but not how any parameters were set. I believe it is the first time Thailand has had a system in place that incorporates the MFA and Immigration together so it is all new in that respect.

RE - The old system was launched last year but was cancelled after foreign tourists complained it didn’t work properly.

RE - From April 1st, it is planned that nationals from Britain and France will also be able to use the service.

Based on the historical performance and now planned to commence on the fools day (1st of April) doesn't trig the expectations ....  :coffee1:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE - The old system was launched last year but was cancelled after foreign tourists complained it didn’t work properly.

RE - From April 1st, it is planned that nationals from Britain and France will also be able to use the service.

Actually it is two different systems.

There is one for the e visa for visas on arrival for the those those that qualify that failed.

The other one is for submitting visa applications to the mentioned embassies online on April 1st.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Actually it is two different systems.

There is one for the e visa for visas on arrival for the those those that qualify that failed.

The other one is for submitting visa applications to the mentioned embassies online on April 1st.

RE - Actually it is two different systems.

Developed by the same source ... :whistling:

26 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE - Actually it is two different systems.

Developed by the same source ... :whistling:

No it isn't the system that was previously launched and no, this system has never been used before other than the basics of a similar system being used in Singapore albeit without the database link. It certainly wasn't developed by the same source or indeed on a worldwide CISCO system. You would be surprised by what this particular system can do and exactly what it knows about you ????

8 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

No it isn't the system that was previously launched and no, this system has never been used before other than the basics of a similar system being used in Singapore albeit without the database link. It certainly wasn't developed by the same source or indeed on a worldwide CISCO system. You would be surprised by what this particular system can do and exactly what it knows about you ????

RE - this system has never been used before

This is where the challenge lies ...

I am not a pessimist - rather a realist ...

At least no one should take from them that they try, but If it will function (this time) remains to see and on the fool's day we have the answer ... :coffee1:

Edited by ttrd

I personally don't see post service having intention of implementation, can only see it coming back for perhaps simple visas if appointments become too much of a burden to embassy and they got any powers to control ways they implement the actual issue.

4 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

I personally don't see post service having intention of implementation, can only see it coming back for perhaps simple visas if appointments become too much of a burden to embassy and they got any powers to control ways they implement the actual issue.

Lets try one more time....It is NOT an appointment system.

2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Lets try one more time....It is NOT an appointment system.

And it not quite a full e-visa either with current setup ...

I quite understand the concept and big change of online system handling application acceptance, but It ends up AN appointment for UK if your visa is excepted by the system and appointment purely for visual checking of any supporting docs and putting sticker or stamp in your travel doc which realistically could be done much same as already is via post but will unlikely done that way (without consulates/embassy requesting it and getting it approved) which will be unfortunate for some who had convenience and sensible cost of postal service .

Most other eVisa systems have setup of eVisa entry points where you get stamp or sticker at point of entry and very practical and efficient for all parties .

The thai way unfortunately will be a ballahe and expense for anyone involved lol ...

Edited by BuckBee

On 2/16/2019 at 1:03 AM, cnx355 said:

Hopefully Local Immigration may use it for expats to apply for extension filling the form and scanning the documents so we can have queue number  when  the officer have already checked the application.

Long overdue in this digital age. Like Malaysia My Home. May be by 2030, when baht will be 20/USD and retirement requirement will rival Malaysia My Home. 

5 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

If I knew that I would tell you, but I don't know that because I had nothing to do with the programming side, and again, the immigration database is linked in. I only know how the system works, and which Tech was involved in the build (UK, US, France, and Germany) but not how any parameters were set. I believe it is the first time Thailand has had a system in place that incorporates the MFA and Immigration together so it is all new in that respect.

So a mixture of technologies came together to design Thai 4.0 Immigration huh?

Could I ask you, specifically, what did France bring to the table? Also interested in the UK and Germany's contribution. US don't need to know.

Edited by lkv

27 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

And it not quite a full e-visa either with current setup ...

I quite understand the concept and big change of online system handling application acceptance, but It ends up AN appointment for UK if your visa is excepted by the system and appointment purely for visual checking of any supporting docs and putting sticker or stamp in your travel doc which realistically could be done much same as already is via post but will unlikely done that way (without consulates/embassy requesting it and getting it approved) which will be unfortunate for some who had convenience and sensible cost of postal service .

Most other eVisa systems have setup of eVisa entry points where you get stamp or sticker at point of entry and very practical and efficient for all parties .

The thai way unfortunately will be a ballahe and expense for anyone involved lol ...

The concept of the system is actually quite clever. If you watch the tutorial, you can apply through the portal anywhere in the world, get the approval for the visa to be issued and then choose a mission, anywhere in the world to collect the visa. UK passport holders will no longer need to be actually in London to apply through the portal. The only proviso on collecting the visa, will be determined by the Embassy/consulate where you wish to collect the visa being switched over too the system. The idea is to have all Thai embassy's and consulates worldwide switched over within 2 years. That isn't hard to do. It's simply software installed on a local terminal and an Internet connection. Once the switch starts, and it already has with China, it will be a gradual changeover as the system is proved. The UK and France switch over in April and then I think it will be swiftly followed by other country's through 2019. IMO, they will be followed by Vientiane and KL as they have recently switched to a an appointment system anyway. 
For instance, you are in London but will be travelling to KL before visiting Thailand. You apply for the visa, get the approval but rather than going to London, you choose to collect the visa in KL while you are there before travelling too Thailand.
Of course though, due to digital fraud, there is always liable to be a check on your hard copy's of documents before you actually get the visa put in your passport.
The system is able to handle the majority of visa types, not only tourist visas.

Taking the usual grandstanding into account, rolling out the new system will probably take twice as long, has a third of the functionality they hope for and costs four times as much as planned. The latter won't be a problem, obviously, as they can simply increase the price of a visa accordingly.

All sounds good, I am excited about these major countries mentioned by @Lovethailandelite

Meanwhile, a quick whois on VFSEVISA.COM tells us: 

Registrant Contact Name: Girish Kanojia Organization: VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd Mailing Address: 20th Floor, Tower A, Urmi Estate, 95, Ganpatrao Kadam Marg, Lower Parel (W), Mumbai Maharashtra 400013 IN Phone: +91.2267289000 Ext: Fax: Fax Ext: Email:[email protected]

Part of VFS Global headquartered in Dubai.

Still wanna know what role France played in all this, from a technological point of view.